Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,329 Members 38,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Sky Go for Android (UK ONLY)

Tip us?

bobjbain
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
Yes, I am sure you are right. You certainly can't blame Sky for releasing the app without ICS when even the main handset manufacturers were not yet supporting it!

But it looks now like, even given the snail's pace of rollout by our network operators, all the supported handsets will have their upgrades available by the summer. I can't see Sky being able to just ignore all this - or even wanting to! It is after all entirely in their own interest to get their shows watched as widely as possible. They have not been investing all this money just to make life more convenient for us!
Read an article the other day in which the SkyGo developers are creaming themselves over the iPad's HD screen and are working flat out in getting more features for the SkyGo iPad app in time for launch!

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Been thinking of getting a, non-apple, tablet recently. Just seen this regading Sky and their attitude towards Android tablets :-

Quote:
We are also looking to support Android tablets in the future, but the lack of market penetration and the challenge of securing content rights for this device means that it is not currently on our immediate product release roadmap. We will continue to review this position and bring you any updates as and when available.

Keep your eye on the forum, and the Help Centre for these update
It's shocking TBH and if it wasn't for the fact that my Mrs wants CBS Drama I would cancel Sky and go to Virgin
Device : HTC One Mini
ROM : InsertCoin for HTC One Mini
Recovery : TWRP 2.7.1.1
HBoot : 2.22.0000 S-OFF SuperCID
Radio : 1.25.40g.00.19

Tablet : Nexus 7 2013
ROM : Stock

rozel
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk View Post
Samsung devices, cf-root kernels will work again, it now has ro.secure=1 and hacked adb so that still works too.
Can you explain what you mean exactly for a layman please?

I have a rooted GS2 using CF-root and am using a Stock Kernal which was flashed over this. In conjunction I use a skygotest.apk - I forget which - and using Voodoo, I can view SkyGo nicely thanks to you guys

I would like to revert back to my CF-root and ditch the Stock Kernal and Voodoo. Is this possible yet?

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,420

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozel View Post
Can you explain what you mean exactly for a layman please?

I have a rooted GS2 using CF-root and am using a Stock Kernal which was flashed over this. In conjunction I use a skygotest.apk - I forget which - and using Voodoo, I can view SkyGo nicely thanks to you guys

I would like to revert back to my CF-root and ditch the Stock Kernal and Voodoo. Is this possible yet?
Yes, you can hide root with chainfires superuser app that comes with cf root kernels now. You will need to make sure the kernel you use is the new version though with the fixes.

Sent from my GT-I9100
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

Guide to Unroot LG G3 for OTA
Chromecast System UI Crash Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: LG G3, Google LG Nexus 5, Chromecast, Acer C720 Chromebook
Retired: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

Stu|
Old
(Last edited by Stu|; 16th March 2012 at 01:08 PM.) Reason: Slow coach!
Thanks Meter 51

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like it from lenny's post.

What he said was that the cf-root kernels have been updated to include ro.secure=1 in the default.prop file that sky checks as part of their root check and a change to adb so that it still works properly with this property set.

So you should be able to grab the latest sf-root kernel and flash it and use the app.

Edit:

Too slow!

Zammo76
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjbain View Post
Read an article the other day in which the SkyGo developers are creaming themselves over the iPad's HD screen and are working flat out in getting more features for the SkyGo iPad app in time for launch!

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Been thinking of getting a, non-apple, tablet recently. Just seen this regading Sky and their attitude towards Android tablets :-

It's shocking TBH and if it wasn't for the fact that my Mrs wants CBS Drama I would cancel Sky and go to Virgin
Sky are such a bunch of merchant bankers, they really are getting on my nerves. Don't the dim wit's realise that Android tablets now account for 44.3% of the tablet market? Is that enough market penetration for them!

mloc33
Old
Thanks Meter 3,975

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammo76 View Post
Sky are such a bunch of merchant bankers, they really are getting on my nerves. Don't the dim wit's realise that Android tablets now account for 44.3% of the tablet market? Is that enough market penetration for them!
You said penetration.....lol
Phone : SGS 3
ROM : Oemga
Kernel : Stock

Squiggle
Old
(Last edited by Squiggle; 16th March 2012 at 02:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugerer View Post
On my Note I connect to the TV using a MHL adapter and HDMI cable and that works OK for viewing everything except Sky Go which detects the HDMI cable and stops you viewing. So I think it is a software feature and if anyone could remove that then that would be great. I am using the original skygo_test.apk.
If I recall, the HDMI checks are only performed on HTC devices ... No ... I've no idea why either.

I should pick this up again, but the Sky Devs really annoyed me by going out of their way to obfuscate the code in the last release.

bobjbain
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Setting-...p/349295#M3517

Do you like my, somewhat childish, username??
Device : HTC One Mini
ROM : InsertCoin for HTC One Mini
Recovery : TWRP 2.7.1.1
HBoot : 2.22.0000 S-OFF SuperCID
Radio : 1.25.40g.00.19

Tablet : Nexus 7 2013
ROM : Stock

sheepybach
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Zammo as you know if sky had their way sky go would not be on android at all. Their infor only shows tablets with a 6% market share and nothing will make them change that figure.
Iechyd da

aliburns
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepybach View Post
Zammo as you know if sky had their way sky go would not be on android at all. Their infor only shows tablets with a 6% market share and nothing will make them change that figure.
Iechyd da
Meanwhile I have to use http://www.sportlemon.tv/ to watch live football on my Xoom, though if the source is Sky then I get to see their adverts anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to aliburns For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]