5,598,086 Members 42,811 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HowTo] Root the latest OTA when the HTC Unlocker tool doesn't work

Tip us?
 
jonnycat26
Old
(Last edited by jonnycat26; 28th March 2012 at 11:32 PM.)
#1  
jonnycat26's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 279
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default [HowTo] Root the latest OTA when the HTC Unlocker tool doesn't work

So, you've got the latest OTA (1.55.531.3) and the HTC unlocker tool won't work? Tired of waiting for HTC to issue a fix/resume the OTA? You no longer have to wait in agony.

These are the steps I took to unlock the latest OTA. They worked for me, they may not work for you. Anything you do to your phone is not my responsibility.

That said..
  • Backup what you can. Your phone is going to be wiped.
  • Make sure your battery is charged up.
  • Download the full 1.55.531.3 image. This contains the confirmation splash screen which wasn't loaded on older MT4GSes, and is the reason the unlocker tool won't work on our devices. You can get the full image (it's over 400MB) here:
  • Download the CWM recovery image:

  • Rename the full image downloaded in the first step to PG59IMG.zip and place it on the root of the SD card in your phone.
  • Shut the phone down, remove the battery, and boot back up while holding both the volume down and power buttons down.
  • The phone will check the PG59IMG.zip file and will ask you if you want to restore that image. You want to do this, but keep in mind this is going to wipe your phone. All data will be lost.
  • The phone will restore the image. This takes a few minutes. When it's done, you'll be prompted to reboot, and you'll boot into a completely stock MT4GS experience.
  • Use the unlock tool on htcdev.com to generate your unlock code. The splash screen is now on your phone, and you should be able to unlock (I had no issues).
  • I rebooted at this point, just to be safe, and set up my phone.
  • Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
  • Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:

    Quote:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • At this point, you should probably reboot the bootloader before entering CWM. Once you've done that, you can go ahead and flash superuser/roms/etc.

Here's a pointer to restoring your phone to stock, courtesy of blue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=24
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jonnycat26 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xzuhto
Old
#2  
xzuhto's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 63
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis
So if we've gotten this far, is S-OFF going to gain us anything more? Are we still locked out of certain areas? The tool worked for me, but I'm using the rest of your guide to flash CWM. Thanks for writing it!
 
jonnycat26
Old
#3  
jonnycat26's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 279
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuhto View Post
So if we've gotten this far, is S-OFF going to gain us anything more? Are we still locked out of certain areas? The tool worked for me, but I'm using the rest of your guide to flash CWM. Thanks for writing it!
In my opinion, S-Off won't really gain you much more. You'll have to flash kernels separately when flashing ROMs, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal (IMO).

You could probably flash back to the original release software if you wanted, and gain S-OFF with revolutionary, but I haven't tried that and have no idea if it will work.

The only thing you can't do with Unlocked/S-ON is flash radios.
 
xzuhto
Old
#4  
xzuhto's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 63
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Well in that case this phone is right where I want it. I've never messed with kernels on any phone I've had previously nor have I messed with flashing radios. I just got done completing the steps and I'm now root along with CWM. Great work throwing this up for everyone.
 
ac3theone
Old
(Last edited by ac3theone; 21st February 2012 at 05:33 AM.)
#5  
ac3theone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 672
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
So, you've got the latest OTA (1.55.531.3) and the HTC unlocker tool won't work? Tired of waiting for HTC to issue a fix/resume the OTA? You no longer have to wait in agony.

These are the steps I took to unlock the latest OTA. They worked for me, they may not work for you. Anything you do to your phone is not my responsibility.

That said..
  • Backup what you can. Your phone is going to be wiped.
  • Make sure your battery is charged up.
  • Download the full 1.55.531.3 image. This contains the confirmation splash screen which wasn't loaded on older MT4GSes, and is the reason the unlocker tool won't work on our devices. You can get the full image (it's over 400MB) here:
  • Download the CWM recovery image:


  • Rename the full image downloaded in the first step to PG59IMG.zip and place it on the root of the SD card in your phone.
  • Shut the phone down, remove the battery, and boot back up while holding both the volume down and power buttons down.
  • The phone will check the PG59IMG.zip file and will ask you if you want to restore that image. You want to do this, but keep in mind this is going to wipe your phone. All data will be lost.
  • The phone will restore the image. This takes a few minutes. When it's done, you'll be prompted to reboot, and you'll boot into a completely stock MT4GS experience.
  • Use the unlock tool on htcdev.com to generate your unlock code. The splash screen is now on your phone, and you should be able to unlock (I had no issues).
  • I rebooted at this point, just to be safe, and set up my phone.
  • Copy the recovery image you downloaded earlier into the directory where you're running fastboot. Rename it to recovery.img
  • Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:


  • At this point, you should probably reboot the bootloader before entering CWM. Once you've done that, you can go ahead and flash superuser/roms/etc.
the doubleshot img downloads painfully slow, do you have another link?

edit: also i think you missed somthing here"[*]Shut down, boot into the bootloader/fastboot, and enter the following command to flash CWM recovery:
"
 
Blue6IX
Old
(Last edited by Blue6IX; 21st February 2012 at 06:42 AM.)
#6  
Blue6IX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1132
Posts: 1,771
Join Date: May 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3theone View Post
the doubleshot img downloads painfully slow, do you have another link?

...
Well, where football is hosting the new PG59IMG.zip file is the only place we have it - i just found it yesterday and we haven't had time to up it anywhere else yet.

We are working on making mirrors for it now - give us some time to get set up with our new data.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
In my opinion, S-Off won't really gain you much more. You'll have to flash kernels separately when flashing ROMs, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal (IMO).

You could probably flash back to the original release software if you wanted, and gain S-OFF with revolutionary, but I haven't tried that and have no idea if it will work.

The only thing you can't do with Unlocked/S-ON is flash radios.
No, you can't go back to retail factory if you are S-ON. This new PG59IMG.zip I found is the furthest back you can go completely.

With S-ON you cannot replace hboot, or radio - those two are a big deal - i'm still working on an S-OFF solution for S-ON people with hboot 1.45.0013.

With S-OFF I can swap out hboots on a whim, and thrice43 even flashed a Sensation hboot to his doubleshot and it worked out for him - but with S-ON you cannot do this. (and if you could, you would brick)

S-OFF is very much preferable to S-ON UNLOCKED.

I've also had problems flashing OTA updates through stock recovery manually when S-ON where I had no trouble doing so while S-OFF.

There are still a lot of things you can't do with your device while S-ON.

EDIT:

also, all the PG59IMG.zip files I made for people to flash recoveries, hboots, and so on in the dev reference sticky cannot be used by anyone S-ON because they fail the signature checks. My custom PG59IMG.zip files don't have an HTC signature which you must have for an S-ON device to load the PG59IMG.zip file.

...so there are a number of reasons why S-OFF is something to get.
Nook Color: MicroSD info: Here and Here.

--> RTFM <-- | XDA Mantra - Spirit of XDA | ... Donations? Read this
 
Limewirelord
Old
(Last edited by Limewirelord; 21st February 2012 at 07:03 AM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 172
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuhto View Post
Well in that case this phone is right where I want it. I've never messed with kernels on any phone I've had previously nor have I messed with flashing radios. I just got done completing the steps and I'm now root along with CWM. Great work throwing this up for everyone.
You must flash a kernel if you want to flash an ICS ROM or any GB ROM with a modified kernel.

Also:

Here's a faster mirror, hopefully: http://www.4shared.com/zip/vVHQuid0/...OUS_15553.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Limewirelord For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xzuhto
Old
#8  
xzuhto's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 63
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis
I see the downsides to s-on but I'm happy to have root and cwm. I will however be excited to get this thing fully unlocked. I won't be messing with custom roms till then. lol

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
 
Emmanuel U
Old
#9  
Emmanuel U's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1830
Posts: 1,397
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chi-Town Suburbs
I managed to host it on my Dropbox

Edit:
Oh sorry Lime, I didn't see that you were already hosting it...
The Following User Says Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tbalden
Old
#10  
tbalden's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6351
Posts: 3,888
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
this might deserve a sticky?
htc one teaMSeven Sense/GPe Android 4.4 with Flick2Wake/Pick2Wake kernels here
Donate to me!

VirtuousROM & TeamNDVRu(cm10.2/cm10.1) & TeamDS(cm10.1) team member
htc one x cm10.2
HTC DoubleShot - mt4gs - cm10.1 | Virtuous Inquisition

my youtube/music channel: Illes Pal
Twitter @illespal http://twitter.com/illespal
gplus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104117834086133689848/posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes