Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 44,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows Phone 8 on WP7 devices?

Tip us?

EgoMaximus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

This is what they do with all MS products right now.

illegaloperation
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoMaximus View Post
I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

This is what they do with all MS products right now.
From talks with a few Microsoft employees, I can tell you that are hard feelings in Redmond about Mango.

Apparently, Mango was announced way too early. As a result, competitors were able to copy features and Windows Phone Mango weren't impressive compare to the competitors.

In addition, Microsoft is furious about Pocketnow's Apollo leak. In fact, furious is an understatement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to illegaloperation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EgoMaximus
Old
(Last edited by EgoMaximus; 4th March 2012 at 07:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegaloperation View Post
From talks with a few Microsoft employees, I can tell you that are hard feelings in Redmond about Mango.

Apparently, Mango was announced way too early. As a result, competitors were able to copy features and Windows Phone Mango weren't impressive compare to the competitors.

In addition, Microsoft is furious about Pocketnow's Apollo leak. In fact, furious is an understatement.
Why was it shown to so many Nokia employees anyway? I understand if it was CEO only and few execs but now?

Are they trying to do something about it?

andregarcia_1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If not, I hope someone can release a port to single core phones

sure haven't
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegaloperation View Post

I'm not sure what their competitors apparently copied? Mango brought the wp platform to 2009 standards.

EgoMaximus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sure haven't View Post
I'm not sure what their competitors apparently copied? Mango brought the wp platform to 2009 standards.
http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-f...hone-features/

seraph1024
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture

DONATE TO ME
I was originally told that ALL WP devices will get at least 2 major revision updates in their life cycle. Read that carefully. 2 Major revision -- Mango is a major revision. Tango is a minor update. So I'd assume Apollo will be the next major one. So ALL phones currently in the market will get Apollo.

Which is a big issue for OEMs since OEMs would rather sell you a new phone (see Android). WP also does not need multicore devices to function well anyways... so... I think we'll see Apollo on all of our devices.
If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway Lynx is the best browser ever. No I am not kidding.

"All androids are created equal. Some are more equal than the others." -- me.

Twitter: lmaung

Mechatronics and mobile geek, opinionated world traveler, technologist, seeker of knowledge, hacker of things, an entrepreneur, and community leader/speaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to seraph1024 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steve10
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph1024 View Post
I was originally told that ALL WP devices will get at least 2 major revision updates in their life cycle. Read that carefully. 2 Major revision -- Mango is a major revision. Tango is a minor update. So I'd assume Apollo will be the next major one. So ALL phones currently in the market will get Apollo.

Which is a big issue for OEMs since OEMs would rather sell you a new phone (see Android). WP also does not need multicore devices to function well anyways... so... I think we'll see Apollo on all of our devices.
We were also once told that wireless carriers wouldn't be able to permanently hold back multiple updates; yet, AT&T continues to delay (or block, as they won't confirm either) 7740 and 8107 for all of their devices. I wouldn't believe anything you hear today, regardless of the source. When summer or fall comes around and Apollo is in the near future, I'd say that's when we'll begin to find out what their plans are. Though with wireless carriers taking more control of the update ecosystem (through the increasing lack of update transparency this year) I wouldn't be surprised if there is no official announcement from Microsoft at all. If Microsoft makes an Apollo build available for older generation devices I'd expect most carriers to sit on it for months, that is, if they ever release it.

Kenzibit
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Who knows, MSFT will be surprising us all in a good way. I hope they know what we talk about in forums coz they READ what we write...I bet you there's a MSFT guy here among us and reading our posts....and I'm telling that guy right now that, MSFT will be DAMNED to not upgrade 1st gen phones....NO DOUBT!!!

EgoMaximus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzibit View Post
Who knows, MSFT will be surprising us all in a good way. I hope they know what we talk about in forums coz they READ what we write...I bet you there's a MSFT guy here among us and reading our posts....and I'm telling that guy right now that, MSFT will be DAMNED to not upgrade 1st gen phones....NO DOUBT!!!
LOL, people already whine about no WP8 update, yet they have no idea what it will bring to the table, all they want is a number. All I care about is bit locker encryption and quad core CPU, there is no way WP8 update will add this on my device.

- I want WP8 update
- Why?
- Cause it says 8

- I want Apple, Apple is the best
- Why?
- Cause it's Apple

Well, hopefully, MS will release a registry patch, which changes version number from 7 to 8, so everyone is happy.