5,603,981 Members 44,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PS VITA has arrived, will i ever use my Xperia Play again?

Tip us?

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornotty View Post
Well I can understand your view. Even I've stopped gaming on my XPlay since gameloft slowed down on releasing new games for android.

And myself I'm planning to get the new Xperia S after few month's of its release or wait till the dev section in XDA gets little populated with custom kernels/roms etc. And I'm not sure about carrying another device(Vita) in my pocket except my phone.

But by next year hopefully we see an XPlay 2 with better specs and much better support but I highly doubt Sony will do that since it will create competition against its own product which is the new Vita.

But on the other hand I have fingers crossed for HTC to release a phone with gamepad. Why so? Because latest rumor has that some new HTC devices will get PS certified from Sony. Which means there are chances of another phone with gamepad or maybe it will simply be like a "PS certified" device like Xperia S. Which makes no sense at all.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
I've cut back on my PLAY time as well, mainly because I've beaten every game I have (that I wanted to beat, excluding Splinter Cell which just sucks), and the only ones I don't have that I'd like to play are Shadowgun, MC3, and BackStab. I'm waiting for a sale to buy them as I refuse to pay full price of a GL game when they hand them out for a buck every few months.

Waiting for or hoping for some more games with depth, otherwise I may get a Vita as well.

As for HTC I don't see them making a niche phone like this, and in fact I think its entirely possible we will never see an Xperia PLAY 2, as they 1 wont want to compete with the Vita, and 2 mucked it up the first time around.

EDIT: If I have to wait for ICS on the PLAY to get the Playstation Suite I may as well get a Vita and ditch this phone at my next upgrade, because Verizon hasn't even given us 2.3.4 yet, gonna be a cold day before we get ICS.

swebosdev
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Get a vita, play it in public, never get laid again.

Pretty funny though you guys got to go out and replace this with 2 seperate high end products.

ozzmanj1
Old
Thanks Meter 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've cut back on my PLAY time as well, mainly because I've beaten every game I have (that I wanted to beat, excluding Splinter Cell which just sucks), and the only ones I don't have that I'd like to play are Shadowgun, MC3, and BackStab. I'm waiting for a sale to buy them as I refuse to pay full price of a GL game when they hand them out for a buck every few months.

Waiting for or hoping for some more games with depth, otherwise I may get a Vita as well.

As for HTC I don't see them making a niche phone like this, and in fact I think its entirely possible we will never see an Xperia PLAY 2, as they 1 wont want to compete with the Vita, and 2 mucked it up the first time around.

EDIT: If I have to wait for ICS on the PLAY to get the Playstation Suite I may as well get a Vita and ditch this phone at my next upgrade, because Verizon hasn't even given us 2.3.4 yet, gonna be a cold day before we get ICS.
Verizon does suck, doubtful we will ever get ICS. Also didnt I read somewhere in the begining of Dec that they were traning their employees for the Xperia PLAY LTE? Guess that never panned out. I really like my PLAY but it seems like all the games worth playing are old, and pretty much all dave 2 of the GameLoft games are buggy pieces of crap. The PS Vita has a really nice display but I will never buy a handheld game console anymore, and no its not because I want to get laid I am already married and can get that whenever she wants......because if its me I end up on a milk carton.

hairdewx
Old
Thanks Meter 263
The second that I found out that the VITA was not a mobile device I lost interest...

I'm not gonna carry around multiple devices.

And it's true, seeing a PSP/3DS/VITA being played in public makes the person look... juvenile... Of course playing a game on a cell phone doesn't have the same effect. Double standard, I guess.
See Xperia Play Games on my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hairdewx

Growling Clover
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairdewx View Post
The second that I found out that the VITA was not a mobile device I lost interest...

And it's true, seeing a PSP/3DS/VITA being played in public makes the person look... juvenile... Of course playing a game on a cell phone doesn't have the same effect. Double standard, I guess.
FACT! I had a PSP for 5 years and was single. Sold it, got an xplay and got laid. It's more than just a phone ;)

brought to you by the XDA app on my badass Android toy
The Following User Says Thank You to Growling Clover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairdewx View Post

Thats my problem... I just can't see myself carrying it. The reason I love the Xperia PLAY is its in my pocket all the time.

When I was a kid I had a Sega Game Gear. I barely used it and ended up selling it for two reasons, 1. was that I had very little money, so if I was gonna spend money on games I was gonna spend it on Genesis games since 2. it was too bulky to carry aground (and the Vita is not much better) meaning aside from long Car rides I rarely carried it around, meaning I played it at home, and when I'm home I'd rather play a game on a TV.

sufy1000
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thats my problem... I just can't see myself carrying it. The reason I love the Xperia PLAY is its in my pocket all the time.

When I was a kid I had a Sega Game Gear. I barely used it and ended up selling it for two reasons, 1. was that I had very little money, so if I was gonna spend money on games I was gonna spend it on Genesis games since 2. it was too bulky to carry aground (and the Vita is not much better) meaning aside from long Car rides I rarely carried it around, meaning I played it at home, and when I'm home I'd rather play a game on a TV.
I agree. PS Vita is NOT a phone. Okay it's got better graphics and all that but then the games aspect comes into play. You have to pay 30 for every game. I'd rather play a game on PS3 on a 40'' 3D TV than play it on the Vita's screen.

To be honest i'm happy with my Xperia Play even though some people may not like it. I'm happy with 3 games I spend on it and happy to play them.

As I said I'd rather play games on the PS3 with a big screen.

The Vita is just for people who want to show off
The Following User Says Thank You to sufy1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 346
What the hell is with the talk that dedicated handheld gaming consoles look stupid? I play them in public, and I have no issues getting laid. I'd chalk that one to looks. I play a 3ds as well as my xplay. Its the same ****, who cares.

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

FTAiii
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I've had the Vita since 30 dec [Japanese import] and I can tell you that the only device I carry around is my Xperia Play. Sony has gotten so paranoid over copyright infringement that the Vita is compeltely locked down even on purchases I have already made on the Playstation Network. My existing mini's and PS1 games do not transfer / the content manager is a pain to use, I have to reformat video to get it on the device. Yeah, Unchartered is pretty, but my Vita is collecting dust because it is too frustrating to use and too bulky to carry around. In fact, I rushed to get one because I think sony will discontinue the Vita after a failed US and European release.

Why would Sony put out an Android "playstation phone" and then Vita shortly after - they are hedging their bets, If the Vita fails miserably [which it should in this new gaming environment] then I bet we get an XPeria PLay 2 shortly after.

on the other topic, i'm married which means I rarely get laid

blonqe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
All interesting points!

I got a vita so when my girlfriend is watching soaps and stuff i get to play proper games on the sofa, portbale consoles will never replace the home console, the experience is totally different, e.g i play fifa on my vita same game more or less as my xbox 360 but on a portable system seems different still brilliant and way better than the xplsy version, i will still play the home console version over vita anytime big screen and surround sound!

vita is great for my purpose, sofa, work, long trips, cant take my 360 or ps3!

my play just didnt give me yhe same satisfaction, apart from the emulators i mentioned in my op.

and fir ppl saying 40 quid is too much, i agree but these are way better quality games then the 3 quid ones on phones.

i think its time for game companys to start releasing double play, triple plays like blu ray movies.

by one game for 40quid, play it on ya home, portable console and ya phone

Sent from my R800i using XDA App
Xperia Play:LuPuS 1.4ghz / SmartassH3 / SIO + Gin2JellyBean = Smooth Gaming!!!