Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 42,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Easy Wifi Improvement

Tip us?

PolishPoet
Old
(Last edited by PolishPoet; 22nd February 2012 at 07:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Talking Easy Wifi Improvement

I can repeat these results over and over again on my Prime. A good distance from my router (through 2 indoor walls, 1 outside brick wall) I get the top 4 throughputs on Photo 1. I cannot stream video without an awful lot of buffering and everything else is slow. With some testing I found if I put that little piece of foil on the face of the tablet(Photo2) then I get the bottom four throughputs and I can stream video until the cows come home with no buffering. It seems simple and works well on my unit. And again, I can repeat the results. I've been using this for three days now and am really happy with the improvement. I'd be real interested in knowing it this affects anyone else's unit the same way. If it does let everyone know and this may be a quick and easy way to help with your WiFi without having to result in disassembling your Prime or doing an RMA.

I'm planning on painting it black and taping it the the face.

See post 99 for details of my installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedtest.jpg
Views:	7225
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	913426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	10118
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	913427  
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to PolishPoet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tedr108
Old
(Last edited by tedr108; 21st February 2012 at 09:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 118
That is quite impressive. I'm game to give this a try. How far down the back of the Prime does the aluminum foil go?

I remember the little antenna earlier model iPhone users stuck on their phones. Perhaps something like that can simply be stuck on the Prime's glass? But, in your situation, the foil going over the top and down the back may also have an influence. I'm going to see if this improves GPS, too! My wi-fi is decent, but my GPS in non-existent at this point.

Thanks for the post...

dcAndroidFan
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPoet View Post
I can repeat these results over and over again on my Prime. A good distance from my router (through 2 indoor walls, 1 outside brick wall) I get the top 4 throughputs on Photo 1. I cannot stream video without an awful lot of buffering and everything else is slow. With some testing I found if I put that little piece of foil on the face of the tablet(Photo2) then I get the bottom four throughputs and I can stream video until the cows come home with no buffering. It seems simple and works well on my unit. And again, I can repeat the results. I've been using this for three days now and am really happy with the improvement. I'd be real interested in knowing it this affects anyone else's unit the same way. If it does let everyone know and this may be a quick and easy way to help with your WiFi without having to result in disassembling your Prime or doing an RMA.

Holy Crap. I'm going to try this when I get home -- I've got a dead spot in my house where my WiFi drops off almost completely. If this works, I'm going to 1) laugh, and 2) think about all the physical damage that some people have done to their Primes in the hardware modding thread, and then 3) be sad for them, and then 4) laugh again, but bitterly.

Keeping the fingers crossed.

undercover
Old
Thanks Meter 4258
Next thing is foil hat!

On a serious note, quite interesting to see results.

Sent throught the wormhole from my CoinInserted Sensation OG.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

dcAndroidFan
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPoet View Post

Also, have you tried putting your prime in a portfolio-type case (like the Minisuit) with the foil on it? If so, does it still work? If so, that would be excellent, because the case would hide the foil.

sirnice
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinky1 View Post
Next thing is foil hat!

On a serious note, quite interesting to see results.

Sent throught the wormhole from my CoinInserted Sensation OG.
Holy@#$@$ , I have verified that it works. My dl speed went from 3xxx to over 15000 using speedtest.net app. I will post screen shots......

clackity
Old
(Last edited by clackity; 22nd February 2012 at 05:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
delete delete

Vcolassi
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Wow so cool! Even though we shouldn't have to do this lol. Brings me back to the days of my modded wifi dongle with tin foil upgrades to "borrow" my neighbors connection haha.

Damn I'm out of tin foil, I'm gonna run to the store and report back! Even though my new C2 serial get almost identical speeds in my living room in my apartment. Let's see how far I can go!

What about some copper conductive tape? A thin strip of it.

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Interesting......simple yet effective, it seems

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

m3t4lw01f
Old
Thanks Meter 27
What happens to your GPS signals if you move the foil over to the left a wee bit (above the GPS antenna)?

I don't have a problem with Wifi, but I certainly do with GPS, so I'd be interested to see.
Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (GT-I9000M)
Running SlimRoms "Slim Bean"

Tags
improvement, wifi