XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Tip us?

Epix4G
Old
Thanks Meter 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchibro View Post
I don't know if it's as simple as that. I went from FB17 to FB21 by ...

1) Booting into Rogue FB17 CWM repack recovery
2) Installing Calk's wipe all ZIP
3) Installing FB21 ROM
4) Installing FB21 Modem
5) Reboot

All went fine. No brick.

I later used sfhub's autoroot tool to push over the FB21 CWM kernel repack. Again, rebooted fine.

EDIT - I've also Nandroid restored my GB ROM to get a GPS lock, shutdown, booted back into CWM and restored my FB21 ICS ROM. Don't know what to say really, but it seems I've done a lot of the things that people are suspecting are causing the bricks.
All it takes is once to corrupt the data partition and you have a brick better to be safe

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Dchibro
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G View Post
All it takes is once to corrupt the data partition and you have a brick better to be safe

Yeah you're probably right. After finally reading this whole thread I'm going to follow your advice and Odin a full EL29 before I go anywhere from here until this stuff gets worked out. Too many unknowns for my taste.
Current Device: LG G2 (D800)
Carrier: AT&T

Rob4828
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Yeah you're probably right. After finally reading this whole thread I'm going to follow your advice and Odin a full EL29 before I go anywhere from here until this stuff gets worked out. Too many unknowns for my taste.
+1

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Epix4G
Old
Thanks Meter 827
Quote:
That's the thing no one knows for sure what is happening but most involve touch recovery...I just went back to cm7 last night and used mobile Odin pro to do it and it worked great ...

clipcarl
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G View Post

When mine bricked I was not touching the data partition at all. I was reinstalling a ROM and did not wipe data.

EmperorX
Old
Thanks Meter 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
When mine bricked I was not touching the data partition at all. I was reinstalling a ROM and did not wipe data.
Touch recovery or rogue? Not that either is a for sure cause. I'm just curious

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

krazyflipj
Old
(Last edited by krazyflipj; 29th February 2012 at 01:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
Based on your previous post, looks like the issue was that you were flashing CM9 3.1 with SH's Rogue Recovery. Remember, when 3.1 was released, there was no custom recovery for it. I believe/recommend the only way of flashing CM9 3.1 is with a stock CWM recovery (Found in CM7 rom). If you want Rogue Recovery, make sure you have stock CWM recovery found in cm7, flash CM93.1, then flash CM9 Rogue Recovery in the same session.

AT&T HTC ONE

Epix4G
Old
Thanks Meter 827
One of the devs said that Samsung moved the data partition a little in ics .... Don't remember where I saw it but that could be the reason no one has had a brick when Odin back yo GB vs just restore back or flash back from ics .... Safer to Odin in my opinion

ojones838
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Visit to Sprint Store was unproductive

I bricked my E4GT by flashing a ICS 4.0.3 ROM. So yesterday I went to a Sprint Store and was told that flashing ANYTHING that didn't come from Sprint voided my warranty. And that since I wasn't a Sprint subscriber (Credo Mobile subscriber), they couldn't work on my phone. From what they were saying they couldn't even work on it by me paying for it. I was hoping to get reflashed by JTAG. So today I'll call Credo and try to get an exchange. The phone is just over a month old. And since Credo doesn't have any means of troubleshooting or repair like Sprint, all they can do is exchange it. Or maybe I can just take it to a cell phone repair shop and see if they can JTAG it. WHATEVER, I just need my phone back. I may even have to "update" my phone meaning just buy another one for almost full price and chalk it up to my stupidity. I should have known better to flash a ROM from Zedomax immediately before checking it out by searching for comments etc.,first. I feel a little better knowing that Samsung phones respond to the JTAG very nicely. Now everything depends on what Credo tells me today. Will update...

vabeachfc3s
Old
Thanks Meter 407

DONATE TO ME
Bricking a phone is never a good time. I've only Bricked one phone thank God. I got a g1 back in the day and rooted successful. Traded it for a white T2. I Bricked that one. haven't Bricked a phone since. Scary stuff.

Sent from My HD2 with GingerBreadz.

Tags
official im an idiot thread