With this guide, we can resolve the problem of synchronization of stock browser bookmarks with Android Honeycomb (only for version 3.2.x no ICS 4.0.x) and replace the stock browser with version 3.2.2 much better. Of course you can replace only the browser, or only the files to fix the bug of synchronization without changing your browser.
We use a SGH-i957 with CWM, a file manager that allows you to manage files in the root of the tablet (superuser permission) and the two following files (pass:ikaro):
These two files are taken from a MOD ROM for SGT P7500 and only work on Honeycomb 3.2.x (HC 3.2 or higher, no ICS). I tried both of which SGT P7500 SGH-i957 but I'm pretty sure it also works with P7300/P7310/P7320 (which I have not personally tested).
- We start by “force stop” the stock browser and “clear data”:
- We open the file editor, go to the dir "/system/app" and rename the files (so they can be reused if we want to restore the initial conditions):
Browser.apk ► Browser.apk.old
Browser.odex ► Browser.odex.old
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk ► ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk.old
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.odex ► ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.odex.old
- Now copy the files you have downloaded “Browser.apk” and “ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk” in to root dir "/system/app" (note that these will have the same names of the files we want to replace):
- We check that the "permissions" of the two copied files are just like in the picture:
- Just restart your tablet in "recovery mode" select "advanced" then "wipe dalvik cache" and "yes":
- We exit the "recovery mode" then restarting the tablet (note that the first reboot of the tablet takes longer than normal). We find the browser icon (new) in the applications:
- We configure your browser to the google account to activate the synchronization of bookmarks (if you want you can also easily configure the "user agent" on the desktop):
IMPORTANT: check that in your browser Chrome "synchronized data" ARE NOT ENCRYPTED!!!
This guide is my small contribution to the community that uses the SGH-i957 but it can also be applied to European models SGT P7500/P7510 (tested personally) and SGT P7300/P7310/P7320 (not tested personally).