XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] help with slow replacement phone

Tip us?

bobturismo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] help with slow replacement phone

Trying to help a buddy with his Droid 2 (i do not have one). The first one he had wasn't updated i assume, then he had Verizon replace it with a new after it broke.

According to him the new one had an updated ginger bread which says 2.3.3.

He says it's slow and he doesn't seem to like it, can the older version be installed? Which one is it?

Is there something in there that slows the phone down? Mine had CIQ which sent "anonymous" info to them.

I know the best thing is to root and do a custom ROM, I just want it to work for him the way it was before.

MissionImprobable
Old
Thanks Meter 855
It's probably slow because of all the bloatware Verizon puts on it. It makes a lot of unnecessary social media crap, amazon, blockbuster, and other things run in the background all the time. He could root the phone and freeze the apps, or get rid of them completely. I suggest you point him to droidforums.net or androidforums.com and tell him to start reading up on rooting and other mods he can do his phone.

If he want's to go back to Froyo (2.2) he just needs to look up "Droid 2 SBF" on youtube and he can see a walkthrough of how to do it, though all the VZ crap is still going to slow it down.

bobturismo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
It's probably slow because of all the bloatware Verizon puts on it. It makes a lot of unnecessary social media crap, amazon, blockbuster, and other things run in the background all the time. He could root the phone and freeze the apps, or get rid of them completely. I suggest you point him to droidforums.net or androidforums.com and tell him to start reading up on rooting and other mods he can do his phone.

If he want's to go back to Froyo (2.2) he just needs to look up "Droid 2 SBF" on youtube and he can see a walkthrough of how to do it, though all the VZ crap is still going to slow it down.
Thanks for the info that what i was looking for
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe