XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Crash during firmware update - can't get past CWM

Tip us?

richteratmosphere
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Crash during firmware update - can't get past CWM

I rooted using viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 today without any problems. Then I installed Rootkeeper via the market, unlocked the bootloader, and installed CWM using viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5. Everything worked flawlessly.

So then I noticed an Asus firmware update was available. I wanted to install it and then give rootkeeper a try to make sure I kept root.

During the Asus firmware update, the android symbol on the screen fell over on his back and had I think an X on him.

Apparently, something went wrong with the firmware update. Everything froze, so I pushed the power button.

Now, when the device turns on, it goes straight into CWM.

Since everything went haywire before I backed up the ROM, I have nothing to restore.

Also, now my device is not recognized by Windows.

I downloaded the [ROM][S Series] Virtuous Prime Beta 1 .zip file with the intent to install this custom ROM, but since I cannot get my Prime recognized by Windows, I cannot move the .zip file over to my Prime to install the ROM.

If anyone could help me through what to do next to possibly reinstall the stock ROM, get my device recognized by Windows, etc. It would be appreciated. I am totally lost now.

demandarin
Old
(Last edited by demandarin; 23rd February 2012 at 05:47 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
How can you have done this when development section clearly says don't try to apply OTA updates after unlocking prime? Its a guaranteed brick just waiting to happen. That's why you have to always read thoroughly everything involved. Obvious you didn't because you tried to apply update. SMH

You should be able to flash stock back with this info:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=119

It has worked for others who soft bricked prime. It should work n allow you to flash back stock rom.

Lesson to be learned here: Do not unlock device if you haven't researched it thoroughly. And never, ever ever ever try to apply an OTA update from Asus after unlocking device. It won't work and will brick your device almost 100% of the time. Once you unlocked device, say goodbye to OTA updates. They no longer will work. If you concerned with OTA updates then you have no business unlocking device. I hope you know you completely voided your warranty also by unlocking. Asus has proof as your serial number and device info was sent to Asus while you unlocked. Be glad xda is here and has solutions.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

shinichikey
Old
(Last edited by shinichikey; 23rd February 2012 at 05:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem which i dont know how to fix

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinichikey View Post
@demandaring: what exactly should I do? download the file, rename it, then put to removable sdcard, then boot using power+ volume down?
I don't think I cant do it because it's will lead into CWM...
Here are my case also: if you can help
I don't know what I did but after install the CWM successfully using PrimeTime 4.5, I couldn't get back into the system, but instead it keep boot back into Recovery mode after every single reboot. I have tried everything within my knowledge include: install the original zip file extracted from US_epaduser9_4_2_14UpdateLauncher.zip using recovery mod, and it stated successfully, but yeah still in a recovery loop; then I tried to install the Virtuous Prime Beta 1 through the CWM, it was also successfully but, guess what, still in the loop again, so I hope if anyone out there has this problem or know the solution, please help me, I am really appreciated... (I can get in to use adb in recovery mode also)...
" flashed today the file from this post (US Full OTA .14): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=387

Use this Method: EP201_SDUPDATE.ZIP (Rename extracted ZIP-File)

CONFIRM: Works ONLY with MicroSD CARD (REMOVABLE - ROOT).
Inernal Memory FAILURE - Search only for REMOVABLE RECOVERY

HOW TO:
-Shutdown Device
-HOLD LOWER VOL. + POWER
-CONFIRM within 5 Seconds with HIGHER VOL. "

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

shinichikey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
when i hold the power+ lower volume, It went straight to CWM, what I am suppose to do in there?

richteratmosphere
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Apparently, I screwed up. I saw the link that you mentioned.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=119

I downloaded the zip file, but since my prime is not recognized by Windows, how I can I get this zip file over to my Prime to install this zip file?

I renamed the zip file as instructed to below.

I have my prime plugged in. I power off using CWM. Then I hold lower volume and power, it turns on. Then I hold volume up. It goes back into CWM. So I don't know what to do next.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here or exactly if there's some kind of method to "confirm" that I am unaware of.

Yes, I'm aware that I voided my warranty. I'm hoping that someone at XDA can walk me through fixing this.

Thanks for anyone who is willing to help.

@all
flashed today the file from this post (US Full OTA .14):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=387

Use this Method:
EP201_SDUPDATE.ZIP (Rename extracted ZIP-File)

CONFIRM:
Works ONLY with MicroSD CARD (REMOVABLE - ROOT).
Inernal Memory FAILURE - Search only for REMOVABLE RECOVERY

HOW TO:
Shutdown Device
HOLD LOWER VOL. + POWER
CONFIRM within 5 Seconds with HIGHER VOL.

Works perfect...think with this method you can flash every FULL OTA - FW from EVERY SKU (without ROOT ???)

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinichikey View Post
when i hold the power+ lower volume, It went straight to CWM, what I am suppose to do in there?
Try pointing it to the location where you put the stock rom file at. Then flash it. I added some stuff in your thread if you can't get it to work.

shinichikey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
you supposed to put the zip file into the removable microsd card, so you just need to use an adapter or somehow put the file into the microsd card, but yeah, i tried it, but it did nothing...

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

I did try to locate and install the zip file using CWM, it stated successfully but after reboot, it went straight into CWM again

richteratmosphere
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I stuck a microsd card in the slot, but my Prime is not recognized by Windows. So I can't copy and paste the zip file onto the microsd card to install the zip. Any ideas how to apply this fix given my situation. Thanks again to anyone who is willing to help.

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Both of you post your issue in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510983

They can help you in there. We had someone earlier who had same problem and was walked through what to do.. you can also pm Doltaplex(misspelled) or Diamondback. They can help.