[ROOT ICS] The hard way && Digging for roots

OP eww245

27th February 2012, 03:35 AM   |  #81  
OP Senior Member
Throop
Thanks Meter: 78

486 posts
More
I just got /system mounted as writable, and was able to install busybox to /system/xbin. It's a workaround for now but it works. Updating the OP with detalis.
The Following User Says Thank You to eww245 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2012, 03:52 AM   |  #82  
Flag Eugene
Thanks Meter: 8

179 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eww245

I just got /system mounted as writable, and was able to install busybox to /system/xbin. It's a workaround for now but it works. Updating the OP with detalis.

Nice! Looking forward to trying.

edit: on the command
./busybox cp su loop/xbin/ ; ./busybox cp busybox loop/xbin/

I don't think you need the trailing "/" - I get error with it, no error without trailing "/"
Last edited by winkeye; 27th February 2012 at 04:02 AM.
27th February 2012, 06:57 AM   |  #83  
Thanks Meter: 48

223 posts
Ok... still having trouble with fastboot. Once you issue the oem unluck, the white acer logo appears but the bootloader is still locked. However, you can check getvar with it.

I am sure it can be unlocked. We just need to figure out how.
27th February 2012, 07:40 AM   |  #84  
Thanks Meter: 32

323 posts
More
I wish you guys the best of luck I'd try this but my literacy with trying to get ADB to install on windows is about as bad as me accidentally uninstalling gnome on ubuntu once >.>
27th February 2012, 09:47 AM   |  #85  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 14

119 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedYoda

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, I'm just learning adb and still don't fully understand it all...but are you saying root was successful? Or are you still trying to get system r/w? I'm going to use this method to at least make sure I get the same result and try to contribute whatever I can. If anyone needs a tester or anything, please let me know how I can help. Thanks for all of your hard work, guys.

Yup, sucessful. After getting the error line i continued with the remainder. Root it successful. System r/w isn't sticking. I'm just happy to get root so I can boost up the stats I really care about.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
27th February 2012, 09:51 AM   |  #86  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 14

119 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwinkley

Jeromel - how did you install ICS? Did you upgrade from HC, and if so, were you rooted?

I just used the update.zip file posted in the leaked ICS thread. Yes I was on HC GEN2 and was rooted. Root isn't required and you don't have to be on GEN1.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jeromel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #87  
Thanks Meter: 48

223 posts
Did anyone else notice that the ADB devices number has changed now? Instead of a series of numbers & characters, it has 11 numbers instead?

This boot/flash_image/fastboot stuff is driving me nuts...

Did anyone try to fastboot oem unlock with 3.2/3.2.1?
Last edited by Icewyng; 27th February 2012 at 02:58 PM.
27th February 2012, 07:04 PM   |  #88  
Thanks Meter: 86

235 posts
Please excuse my ignorance on this, but where exactly to you add the three lines to install-recovery.sh? I've got root and r/w on system, but I'm a little shaky on editing a system file I'm unfamiliar with.
Thanks for all your work on this!!
27th February 2012, 07:18 PM   |  #89  
OP Senior Member
Throop
Thanks Meter: 78

486 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED2O9

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but where exactly to you add the three lines to install-recovery.sh? I've got root and r/w on system, but I'm a little shaky on editing a system file I'm unfamiliar with.
Thanks for all your work on this!!

It's safe to delete everything in the file. I usually like to make a copy of any files I edit ot let Root Explorer do it for you.
27th February 2012, 07:31 PM   |  #90  
Thanks Meter: 86

235 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eww245

It's safe to delete everything in the file. I usually like to make a copy of any files I edit ot let Root Explorer do it for you.

So, back it up (obviously) and replace all the existing lines with the three from the original post?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread