Thumbs up ASUS: They sent a screenshot of GPS working before RMAing

Search This thread

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
Hello:

Yesterday, I spoke with Aaron at ASUS about my GPS problems. This is the new department that is devoted to GPS issues (maybe WIFI too). I was very pleased that he offered me a full refund (including accessories). It was the right thing for ASUS to do. That was great yesterday, but today I considered what it might be like to part ways with my ICS 4+1 tablet, and had second thoughts about the refund.

So I called them back again today and spoke with Aaron. I asked if there are in fact any units that have functioning GPS in them. He said "Yes, I have one in front of me right now". Aaron reassured me that if I did go through the RMA process again, the next tablet would be 100% tested prior to shipping. He said that everything would be sent to his attent 7ion in California and shipped overnight to me. I asked, "How can I be sure?" I didn't want to do RMA again unless I know the next one has working GPS.

Aaron offered to take screenshots of his working GPS and send them to me via email. From there, I could decide if I did want to RMA again. Great idea!

Are these results any good? How do they compare to other "working" TF201s or other devices in general?

Thanks.

Last edited:
M

m3t4lw01f

If all you want to do is geo-location, that's fine. Notice in all those screen shots the speed indication is zero.

I get that kind of results outdoors with my prime, but as soon as I start moving, it drops lock. It can see birds, but it just can't lock while moving.

So, depending on what you want to do with the GPS, it's good or bad.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
That's the type of reception I get with my Prime. Not a strong signal but it does lock onto a number of satellites. I don't think it would be strong enough to navigate with as the signals are pretty low but you might be able to.

Jeff

alanhzl

Aug 12, 2010
i have had two primes with working gps first one with c10kas sn, which i returned n exchanged due to stuck pixels after 2 weeks of usage.

second one is with c20kas sn also has working gps, but suffers from the reboot issue after the .14 update (waiting for the .15 update to be released which hopefully address the reboot issue).

but i can tell you that, dont expect to be able to use turn by turn gps navigation even when u get a prime with working gps.

your best bet would be to tether gps from your phone via blue tooth if gps navigation is what you are trying to do with the prime.

gd luck.

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
Hey guys, I need to take down these photos because there was a disclaimer in the email that said they shouldn't be posted. Oops :eek:. Sorry.

But it seems that locking 5-10 satellites at 20 or so signal strength is normal. And to not expect to be able to hold that lock if you move.

Thanks for posts.

ohwell

Feb 9, 2012
I have had as many as 15 sat,s with locks on 10 of them accuracy to 24.2 feet in the house than the very next day I can maybe only get 2 sats and no locks. I think its very location and weather dependant.

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
I have had as many as 15 sat,s with locks on 10 of them accuracy to 24.2 feet in the house than the very next day I can maybe only get 2 sats and no locks. I think its very location and weather dependant.

No its called the alumnium back is such kryptonite to GPS signals thats its always on the edge of locking and not locking which is also the reason when it moves it cannot stay locked. Think of it like listening to a radio station in your car and your driving out of state and you start losing the station cutting in and out fading out etc....

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
i have had two primes with working gps first one with c10kas sn, which i returned n exchanged due to stuck pixels after 2 weeks of usage.

second one is with c20kas sn also has working gps, but suffers from the reboot issue after the .14 update (waiting for the .15 update to be released which hopefully address the reboot issue).

but i can tell you that, dont expect to be able to use turn by turn gps navigation even when u get a prime with working gps.

your best bet would be to tether gps from your phone via blue tooth if gps navigation is what you are trying to do with the prime.

gd luck.

That doesn't work with all phones. Definitely doesn't work with Tmobile galaxy s2.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
GPS will never be as good as on a phone with the Prime. Why do people still think sending it n will somehow fix it?

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
I want to add to the OP. Since last week, Aaron from ASUS took more screenshots for me, this time while he was driving to work. The TF201 he used had about 20-30 signal strength while driving about 30 MPH. Again, really impressed with this new hotline. I'm not a fanboy. This is my first tablet and android product. But it's really cool that Aaron actually knows me by name and responds very courteously to my concerns.

Vcolassi

Feb 1, 2012
Whitehall
I am gonna test mine today for you guys. My new Prime, had many lol. Gets 12-15 Sats easy while in my house even on rainy days. With the wifi off. Gonna take it with me today for a ride and see how it does. I will take a picture too of course proving i am in the car driving.

For me the GPS does not matter. But testing is the fun part. :D