XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I Brickeded my Photon, and fixed it.

Tip us?

slightlyevolved
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Default I Brickeded my Photon, and fixed it.

Okay, so I'm coming to Android from my Palm Pre via old skool WinMo, so I'm used to using the good will and work of others to make me look awsome smart in front of my friends, I mean, flashing ROMs and patches.

Anyway, I went and tried Joker's ICS 0.2 beta on my Photon, and while good, there were some things that I needed to use daily that just wasn't working well enough, so time to reflash to stock. Too bad I messed up the instructions and ended up removing CWM and locking the bootloader before getting the ROM loaded... yeah yeah. I still don't' know how I managed that one.

Long story short, I bricked it. Pressing Vol Down + Power would cause a BSOD while UP + PWR would only give me Fastboot, which would not allow me to load the factory ROM from inside RSD.

None of the other info I found matched what I ended up doing, so I'll share and maybe someone can shed some light or who knows, maybe it'll be helpful.

First, I did UP+PWR to get Fastboot and plugged in the USB cable. After that I started up RSD. While leaving RSD open, goto your command line and get to your fastboot directory.

Type:
moto-fastboot restart (or just "fastboot restart" if that's what your version calls for)
once it restarts, the phone will reassociate with RSD and automatically go into RSD mode where you can reflash the Moto Stock sbf.

The reason I had to do this was that I could not get the phone to load in any other mode besides fastboot and RSD was not having any of that.

Was there a better way of doing this?

moonzbabysh
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Not to sound like I skadouche, but if you were able to boot into fastboot or any other of the boot methods, then it wasn't bricked. Bricked means that it might aswell be a "brick" because you wouldn't be able to do anything else at all with it. Fastboot is what I normally do when I fk stuff up as most of us do. Thanks though.

MoPhoACTV Initiative
MoPho CM9 + ReloadedICS - MotoACTV Rooted/Rom'd - SGTab 10.1" (I/O LE) CM9
Don't forget to click if a Member's been helpful.

slightlyevolved
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Nah, I won't label you douche, because, well, yeah... I suppose it wasn't quite bricked, but as you couldn't get into any sort of recovery mode or RSD mode, it was quite difficult to get it to where I could flash it.

Multiple google and forum searches didn't turn up anything quite like what I was experiencing. Safer to put up one extra post on something I hadn't seen before and look like a tool than to say nothing and let someone else suffer if they happen to do stupid S*&t to their phone like I did
The Following User Says Thank You to slightlyevolved For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shabbypenguin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4430

DONATE TO ME
you dont know what the feeling of bricking is until youve sat at the bootloader screen for 20+ mins hoping it will finally pull up the rsd mode options

that engineering build scared the **** out of me XD
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate
The Following User Says Thank You to shabbypenguin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Th3Bill
Old
(Last edited by Th3Bill; 27th February 2012 at 01:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8837

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post
you dont know what the feeling of bricking is until youve sat at the bootloader screen for 20+ mins hoping it will finally pull up the rsd mode options

Somehow, I find it hard to imagine someone with your skill would have too much trouble with anything on these phones...LOL

Worry of "bricking" my phone was what kept me from flashing my phones as long as it did...

Luckily, there are a lot of great things out there from the gang over there at ACS (Thanks shabbypenguin and QBKing77) that make this 1000X easier for those of us lacking your skills

slightlyevolved
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post

Anything that could scare you is worthy of a big budget horror flick.

"I Know What Phone You Flashed Last Summer" coming this June.

All I have in the way of true horror is HTC Apache unlocking. That is all. Oh yeah, and patching that damn thing so it changed Daylight Savings Time correctly.