Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Accessing files from workstation via Web

OP keeseckb

25th February 2012, 12:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Is there any apps out there for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that work like Motocast or Zumocast? I've got the remote desktop app Splashtop setup, but was wondering if there is a simpler app that allowed you to access files on my work computer via the web?
25th February 2012, 03:19 AM   |  #2  
Flag Fingerlakes, NY
Thanks Meter: 31

190 posts
More
Check out Ubuntu One, works with windows.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium
25th February 2012, 03:23 AM   |  #3  
Singapore
Thanks Meter: 288

864 posts
More
Have you try TeamViewer. No issue with firewall

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
25th February 2012, 03:59 AM   |  #4  
Flag Ljubljana
Thanks Meter: 50

268 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeseckb

Is there any apps out there for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that work like Motocast or Zumocast? I've got the remote desktop app Splashtop setup, but was wondering if there is a simpler app that allowed you to access files on my work computer via the web?

So, you just want to access files from your work computer on your tab? If that's all, most file managers are able to access shared files over LAN/WAN (I use it all the time for music/pictures/stuff computer).
25th February 2012, 07:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Teamviewer is just another remote desktop app. Ubuntu one is just a cloud service. And I need to access my files anywhere, not just when i'm on a LAN/wan. The problem with a cloud service is th I have thousands pdf's, spreadsheets, and photos on my workstation and uploading them all a cloud and them having to keep updating that cloud daily is not feasible.

Motocast works flawless in that anywhere you have web access you can access a PC that is on and running the client in the background. Just wondering if there is an app like that that works for the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1...
25th February 2012, 07:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 821

292 posts
Donate to Me
You could set a FTP server (I recommend SFTP for security) on your workstation and use an app like AndFTP.
Last edited by MapleSyrup; 26th February 2012 at 10:02 PM.
28th February 2012, 06:50 PM   |  #7  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 10

249 posts
try Pocket Cloud
29th February 2012, 06:32 AM   |  #8  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 44

903 posts
Donate to Me
More
Dropbox is simplest solution. Put your files in Dropbox and they are everywhere.
29th February 2012, 01:37 PM   |  #9  
Flag Ljubljana
Thanks Meter: 50

268 posts
More
Quote:

Teamviewer is just another remote desktop app. Ubuntu one is just a cloud service. And I need to access my files anywhere, not just when i'm on a LAN/wan. The problem with a cloud service is th I have thousands pdf's, spreadsheets, and photos on my workstation and uploading them all a cloud and them having to keep updating that cloud daily is not feasible.

Motocast works flawless in that anywhere you have web access you can access a PC that is on and running the client in the background. Just wondering if there is an app like that that works for the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1...

Just thought I'd mention, WAN is wide area network (aka internet), not WLAN (wireless LAN).
So using shares (or FTP/SFTP) you can easily access all your files, you can even mount them so that tab sees them as "local" (useful for quite some apps that don't support network shares).
1st March 2012, 04:13 AM   |  #10  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 44

903 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You 'just' create a folder and 'just' drop your files there. How hard is that? Dropbox is not something physical that you have to do anything to it daily. Their is no hard labor involved. You definitely need paid service for thousands and thousands of your files. Just like that.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread