[Q] Do I need Custom Kernel for this Rom?

Search This thread

auroszx

Aug 26, 2011
Hello people. Well, I wanted to ask if it's obligatory to use a Custom Kernel with MiniCM7 2.1.9, because a friend of mine wants my help to flash that rom, but he doesn't have unlocked bootloader (and i don't wanna unlock it if it's not really necesary).
So, can I flash the Rom, and then flash the kernel inmediately or something? Or I will have to unlock bootloader to flash? (if i have to, will SE Tweaker Tool make it easy or i have to follow the How-to in development section?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if my english is bad (is not my first language).

obsidian_eclipse

May 25, 2011
You will need a custom kernel (and an unlocked bootloader) to run this ROM as its dependant on a number of files and scripts withinn nAa's kernel.

Unlocking the bootloader isnt terribly scary now compared to a few months ago. The instructions are fairly straight forward, so long as you exercise common sense then you should be ok.

Custom kernels overwright the bootloader - which Sony Ericsson in their infinite wisdom (not) decided to protect even though they gave up updating software quite early on for the x10 mini (pro). If the bootloader is locked then a custom kernel will fail (and brick the phone).

You would normaly unlock bootloader. Flash with flashtool the custom kernel, then use the integrated CWM on the kernel to flash the ROM zip file. You cant flash the ROM and then the kernel as it doesnt really work that way..

Flashtool has alot of features built in now so you probably wont have to worry as much. But do take your time and get everything prepared. I.e. Make sure you have the ability to put the rom zip file on the sd card before you start.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

auroszx

Aug 26, 2011
You will need a custom kernel (and an unlocked bootloader) to run this ROM as its dependant on a number of files and scripts withinn nAa's kernel.

Unlocking the bootloader isnt terribly scary now compared to a few months ago. The instructions are fairly straight forward, so long as you exercise common sense then you should be ok.

Custom kernels overwright the bootloader - which Sony Ericsson in their infinite wisdom (not) decided to protect even though they gave up updating software quite early on for the x10 mini (pro). If the bootloader is locked then a custom kernel will fail (and brick the phone).

You would normaly unlock bootloader. Flash with flashtool the custom kernel, then use the integrated CWM on the kernel to flash the ROM zip file. You cant flash the ROM and then the kernel as it doesnt really work that way..

Flashtool has alot of features built in now so you probably wont have to worry as much. But do take your time and get everything prepared. I.e. Make sure you have the ability to put the rom zip file on the sd card before you start.

Thanks, but still: should I use Flashtool or SE Tweaker Tool? Because I want to do it the easiest and less dangerous way as posible. I've looked at the Flashtool tutorial a few times, and it's kind of long...

faiyyaz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
PUNE
faiyyaz.xyz
Well which ever suits you..read the main thread of tweaker tool..if you find it easy follow correctly.. Itl be done in few steps.. Or else flashtool also works.. ;)

Sent from my U20i using xda premium

obsidian_eclipse

May 25, 2011
Well which ever suits you..read the main thread of tweaker tool..if you find it easy follow correctly.. Itl be done in few steps.. Or else flashtool also works.. ;)

Sent from my U20i using xda premium

Sound advice.

I physically hand wrote the instructions as simple bullet points so was more familiar.

auroszx

Aug 26, 2011
Thanks a lot, guys. I saw a summary for the tutorial, and I finally understood (the long one) how to do it. Really, thanks. Solved.