5,599,911 Members 45,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] NEW Nook Color rootable? article...

Tip us?

alexwick
Old
(Last edited by alexwick; 29th February 2012 at 10:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok this is just short on the way home in traffic... But a 16 GB card shouod be enough for SD card install, or? I will first try the SD card way and than later the manual nooker....
So is there a downside to upgrading to 1.4 or keeping or upgrading the kernel of the internal stock system?
And like I said I already purchased angry birds through the store... That means I am linked ... Right?!

As far as responsivness playing angry bird and after playing it in the maIn screen... You think that is a app issue?! But why would it still do it after closing the app?!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

BruceMcF
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwick View Post
Ok this is just short on the way home in traffic... But a 16 GB card should be enough for SD card install, or?
16GB is enough ~ the NC only has 8G internal, and you can use the stock side (unrooted or rooted) to play storage-intensive movie files from a non-bootable SD card.

Quote:
I will first try the SD card way and than later the manual nooker....
So is there a downside to upgrading to 1.4 or keeping or upgrading the kernel of the internal stock system?
Upgrading to 1.4 IS upgrading the kernal of the internal stock system ~ those "upgrades" are complete system replacements. That's why you can upgrade to 1.4.2 right away, it doesn't care which version is already there.

Advantages: Supports Netflix app, supports Nook Comics, supports .cbz files, supports the new Magazines format and Children's Books with audio.

Disadvantages: some people don't like using the nook button to bring up the navbar, but if you root the stock system, there are Android market replacements that can replace that.

The main disadvantage to rooting the main memory is if it ever does another system update, you will have to root it again. However, since the Android Market will remember what apps you downloaded, getting your apps back after a stock upgrade is not too much trouble.

Quote:
And like I said I already purchased angry birds through the store... That means I am linked ... Right?!
Right.

Quote:
As far as responsivness playing angry bird and after playing it in the maIn screen... You think that is a app issue?! But why would it still do it after closing the app?!
It might not be actually fully closed ~ it might just be sleeping. A full power down will flush any cruft like that out of the RAM. Just guessing, since I don't have Angry Birds, and if I did I don't have the system tools to check for apps that have not fully shut down.

alexwick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
About the systemupdate ... What I a trying to find out... Does it make a difference what bn stock system I have internally for the way I use SD mod like cm 7 ... I assume not since they are both seperate correct?!

About the game ... That's the only app that I have so far... But the whole system seems a bit slow and laggy just with one app running.... Wondering if I chould Exchange it before rooting...
It has been refurbished... So maybe not a good refurbished one?!?!

Anniraff
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Just a quick reminder. If you install on a SD card, using verygreen's info, whether yourt vcard is an 8 or 16 or whatever, please be sure it is a SanDisk brand. Lots of info in XDA confirms that any other card will give major headaches.

alexwick
Old
(Last edited by alexwick; 2nd March 2012 at 05:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Tried to follow verygreens instructions... But the nook will.just load the regulations menus even with the SD card inserted...
So I downloaded version 1.3 burned it to the SD card ejected reinsert and download of last cm 7 build from link...
From here insertet in nook and powerbutton.... Regular boot... Nothing.g different happens... Where did I go wrong?!

Update:
I got the last stable build to work...
Don't Now why though... AnywYays... So can I update a more recent nightly update...?

BruceMcF
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
About the systemupdate ... What I a trying to find out... Does it make a difference what bn stock system I have internally for the way I use SD mod like cm 7 ... I assume not since they are both seperate correct?!
For the way you use the SD system, no, I don't think so. Again, though, I'm no expert ~ I'm just a step or two ahead of you on the road.

It will make a difference if you decide to do a manual noot, but if you just use the stock side every once in a while, sooner or later the OTA will catch up with you, and you'll have 1.4.2.

Quote:
About the game ... That's the only app that I have so far... But the whole system seems a bit slow and laggy just with one app running....
I don't know anything about Angry Birds, but if its their build oriented to tablets, it wouldn't be surprising if its a bit slow and laggy for the Nook Color, since (except for the Cheap Chinese Android Tablets) all other 7" or bigger media tablets have more horsepower.

Quote:
Wondering if I chould Exchange it before rooting...
It has been refurbished... So maybe not a good refurbished one?!?!
Download a few different apps and see if it has the same problems. Smithsonian Channel is a video streaming app, it will give the unit a good workout. Dolphin HD is a browser ~ set it to run Flash on demand (it will show a green run arrow in flash boxes) and see how it handles web sites in PC mode.

alexwick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok, so I tried about cor 3 hours to understand how I update from one to the next update... I just downloaded the next build version I.e. from center 7.1 to 7.2 but if I go in boot from recovery... I get a 10 Linux bootscreen like in the initial setup... But nothing changes... Still the same version.... This is driving me nuts... Gotta get some sleep now!!!

dparrothead1
Old
Thanks Meter 1289
Quote:
hey, I am new to the tablet world, I tried to search for this and look in the recent post and didnt really find the answer I was looking for....

So if I buy a new or refurbished Nook Color right now from B&N... will I be able to root it?!

this article is old... so I am not sure if this is the case?

any advice Please

nooktalk.net/news/time-to-hack-root-your-nook

THANKS!

cant post the regular link yet
This article is from Dec 2010 and is talking about the Nook 3g....not the NookColor. All NC's are rootable.

alexwick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for the info!! Eventhough I heard about problems with the nook tablet it is rootable? What is the downside to the tablet? Besides higher price ...bought the nook color for my son to play and read, and I like it too... so do I buy a color or a tablet??

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

BruceMcF
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Ok, so I tried about cor 3 hours to understand how I update from one to the next update... I just downloaded the next build version I.e. from center 7.1 to 7.2 but if I go in boot from recovery... I get a 10 Linux bootscreen like in the initial setup... But nothing changes... Still the same version.... This is driving me nuts... Gotta get some sleep now!!!
There's not enough context there for me to tell if you are talking about the stock NC update from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 or the update of some other something from version 7.1 of something to version 7.2 of something.

Are you going from CM7.1 to CM7.2? If you have created a CM7.1 sd card, remember not to read upgrade instructions meant for people who have CM7.1 installed on their NC internal flash.

If there are not upgrade instructions for the SD card install, then the brute force upgrade would be "build the SD card again, but use a 7.2 build this time".