Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ICS update with unlocked Bootloader?

Tip us?
 
cannuks76
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 35
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cumbria
Default [Q] ICS update with unlocked Bootloader?

ok, so this might sound N00bish, but i wanted to know when the Atrix ICS update rolls out, will i be able to update OTA with an unlocked bootloader?
 
caster62003
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 22
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Nobody knows the answers to your questions. Motorola is keeping this under tight wraps, for all we know know, we may be done with at gb, and the only way to get ics is with unofficial roms.

I am only speculating at this point, but I would assume having an unlocked boot loader should have no effect on the update, but if u can install a custom rom , why bother with the bloat ware?
 
CaelanT
Old
#3  
CaelanT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 760
Posts: 3,327
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aberdeen

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannuks76 View Post
ok, so this might sound N00bish, but i wanted to know when the Atrix ICS update rolls out, will i be able to update OTA with an unlocked bootloader?
If you are anything but stock, i.e. rooted, frozen/deleted any Blur apps, etc., you won't be able to OTA until you are back to stock again. As for the unlocked bootloader, no idea if that will stop you.
 
live4nyy
Old
#4  
live4nyy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 419
Posts: 1,896
Join Date: Mar 2011
Motorola has "officially" added the Atrix to the ICS update list:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Just an FYI, I agree that staying with a custom ROM is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caster62003 View Post
Nobody knows the answers to your questions. Motorola is keeping this under tight wraps, for all we know know, we may be done with at gb, and the only way to get ics is with unofficial roms.

Current Device(s): Google Nexus 4 - Asus TF300T

Previous Devices: AT&T Galaxy S3 - Nexus 7 - Google Galaxy Nexus - AT&T One X - AT&T Galaxy Note - Samsung Skyrocket - AT&T Atrix 4G - Samsung Focus - HTC Inspire - Blackberry Torch - iPhone 4 - HTC Legend - Google/HTC Nexus One - Motorola Backflip - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 3G - iPhone 2G - AT&T Moto Q - T-Mobile Sideick EX - T-Mobile Shadow
 
barry99705
Old
#5  
barry99705's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 132
Posts: 749
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4nyy View Post
Motorola has "officially" added the Atrix to the ICS update list:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Just an FYI, I agree that staying with a custom ROM is the way to go.
My mom said Santa Claus was real too......
 
andreww88
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 308
Posts: 1,301
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
Just flash CM9 now or wait until Neutrino CM9 comes out and you'll have ICS and no junk/bloat with it.
 
cmoG530
Old
#7  
cmoG530's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1060
Posts: 2,379
Join Date: Sep 2009
^^^ Agreed and I'm sure moto-ics won't be that great anyhow.

#Sent from my God given Atrix 4G
 
cannuks76
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 35
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cumbria
thanks everyone for the answers, i think ill stick to CM9 and plus the backup of the stock ROM is almost 4 months old lol (I.E lots of apps missing if they do release the official update, at that point there will be a CM11 coming out with Jelly Bean
 
djluis48
Old
#9  
djluis48's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 229
Posts: 1,715
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santo Domingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreshy View Post
^^^ Agreed and I'm sure moto-ics won't be that great anyhow.

#Sent from my God given Atrix 4G
Most people know that Moto-ICS wont be that great...what we are looking forward are the official ICS Tegra 2 drivers for our device, so we can actually have a fully working and stable CM9 rom.
Phone: Sony Xperia Z1
ROM: ~ Trying ROMs ~
Kernel: ~ Trying Kernels ~

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...