Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 42,739 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to flash roms with Mobile Odin Pro

Tip us?

firemedic624
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default How to flash roms with Mobile Odin Pro

I have read that some people prefer to use Mobile Odin Pro to flash roms, kernels and such in place of CWM. I know how to use it when the files are in the tar format but I am wondering if there is a way to flash roms that are in the zip format and made for CWM? Am I missing something or did I misunderstand what I read?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to firemedic624 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

patrao_n
Old
Thanks Meter 955
unfortunately if its in zip I believe its only through cwm. just like regular odin.
Done and done

firemedic624
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
OK, so the roms have to be in the tar format. Is there a way to repack the zip into a tar that can be flashed via Mobile Odin Pro?

XBMC4LIFE
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Not really sure about this but if you use root explorer and press and hold on a file it will give you an option to convert to tar file or something like that. Idk if that would work or not but just happened to notice it last night.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

patrao_n
Old
Thanks Meter 955
although rootexplorer does format it into tar it won't flash via odin or mobile odin. the only way I know of is to have a linux partition on your computer. other than having linux it won't work. it may be in tar format but it needs to know where to put those file in which place. and just converting it to tar doesn't work. I have even tried putting a pit file in with the files in a tar and it didn't work.
Done and done

firemedic624
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
OK, that's what I thought but I figured I'd ask. Thanks for your answers.

patrao_n
Old
Thanks Meter 955
no worries man. anytime. I don't know everything but what I do know I'll gladly share
Done and done
The Following User Says Thank You to patrao_n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

elliwigy
Old
Thanks Meter 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrao_n View Post
unfortunately if its in zip I believe its only through cwm. just like regular odin.
lol thats not true.. yes .zips are made for cwm, but if you notice in mobile odin pro it can actually open certain types of files and extract the different parts of it to flash such as kernel, modem, etc. etc. this is how i flashed a zip through mobile odin pro, however for whatever reason gave me issues with the modem.. on ICS, I had to flash rogue fb17 kernel to get cwm back, then flashed the fb21 modem through cwm. either way, there is a way to extract the files from the .zip to be flashed in mobile odin.. there is a setting in the app that says open and extract the files.. have a look see! besides all that, I love mobile odin and prefer to use it when possible over using cwm anyday..
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

patrao_n
Old
Thanks Meter 955
well I do not doubt that you used it. however I have many roms in. zip format. when I try to use the extract feature the only ones I can extract from are the. tar and tar.md5 files. maybe I'm messing up or something.
Done and done

firemedic624
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
I have tried to open zip files using the method you suggested and it's like it doesn't see the zip file in the directory I put it in.