Keep Chef Central clean - Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Hello developers and aspiring developers!

Seeing Chef Central is a pretty good resource for beginners and current developers to exchange info, it would be nice to have it a bit more organized.

I propose the following:

• Tags
    As you've probably seen around more places on XDA, TAGS are used to show us what the thread is about. Some threads here are already tagged, and it's that what we'd like to see.
    Think about TAGS along the line of: [TUT], [Guide], [PORT], [Kernel], [Tool], [Kitchen], etc. Also, the [Q] tag should ALWAYS be used when a question is posted that couldn't be solved after taking the following steps...
  • Posting in threads instead of creating new ones
    If you have a question about anything found in Chef Central, ask them in their respective threads. Don't open a new one just because no one answered your question in one day. Ask again, if you have to, in the same thread. Or, try the next best thing...
  • Searching
    You should know that most of the stuff on XDA is searchable, even through Google's searchengine. I even recommend doing a search BEFORE asking a question. And if we keep this forum organized, searching would be pretty easy, now won't it? :) Speaking of organized...
  • Cleaning up
    Obviously, this is something a moderator should do. In this particular case, we have several moderators that can do this: Some Recognized Developers are able to moderate this forum. To see who is able to do so, look at the bottom right of the Chef Central main forum.
    Reporting also works wonders here; maintenance work is something we mods do too. Report a thread that needs to be cleaned/closed/stickied/etc. Make it a bit easier for us.
  • Device specific threads
    All device specific questions should be posted in their respective forums. If there isn't any, post in general Android development.

So, with this, I want to start a "spring cleaning" if you will. Development is key here on XDA developers, and the place where most development is happening, it's a mess... Oh, the irony.

Oh and please, if you have any ideas or comments regarding this post, do not refrain from posting them here.

Let's start cleaning, shall we? ;)

Last edited:

jroc.45448

Oct 30, 2013
good post

I really hope this is a great source of info for me. So far everything that I've needed has been found here. So keep up the great work.

snake0x65

Sep 24, 2014
Oxford
Thanks for this post. Totally agree and would like to add few things. We all want easy and quick access to the information and quick answers. But, before you ask, please think about what EXACTLY you want to ask, is your question make sense , or just like - "my ROM is not working, can you help" and then wait and see long long long thread of messages where people trying to understand - what ROM, how it failed, which device, what environment, symptoms of failure... etc.. Do not make a mess , keep this "home of knowledge" tidy.

Last edited:

MonaSpencer

Mar 12, 2014
Everything is with a clear explanation of the very open
Challenges. It was really informative. Your website is very helpful.
Thanks for sharing it publicly!

Megan Rutix

Apr 9, 2014
Coad base

This is one of the sets of more consistent coding standards I've seen. It 'clear that it is written by someone with a deep knowledge and passion for the great design of the system to improve its ability and maintainability of its code base efforts everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello developers and aspiring developers!

Seeing Chef Central is a pretty good resource for beginners and current developers to exchange info, it would be nice to have it a bit more organized.

I propose the following:

• Tags
      As you've probably seen around more places on XDA, TAGS are used to show us what the thread is about. Some threads here are already tagged, and it's that what we'd like to see.
      Think about TAGS along the line of: [TUT], [Guide], [PORT], [Kernel], [Tool], [Kitchen], etc. Also, the [Q] tag should ALWAYS be used when a question is posted that couldn't be solved after taking the following steps...
    • Posting in threads instead of creating new ones
      If you have a question about anything found in Chef Central, ask them in their respective threads. Don't open a new one just because no one answered your question in one day. Ask again, if you have to, in the same thread. Or, try the next best thing...
    • Searching
      You should know that most of the stuff on XDA is searchable, even through Google's searchengine. I even recommend doing a search BEFORE asking a question. And if we keep this forum organized, searching would be pretty easy, now won't it? :) Speaking of organized...
    • Cleaning up
      Obviously, this is something a moderator should do. In this particular case, we have several moderators that can do this: Some Recognized Developers are able to moderate this forum. To see who is able to do so, look at the bottom right of the Chef Central main forum.
      Reporting also works wonders here; maintenance work is something we mods do too. Report a thread that needs to be cleaned/closed/stickied/etc. Make it a bit easier for us.
    • Device specific threads
      All device specific questions should be posted in their respective forums. If there isn't any, post in general Android development.

So, with this, I want to start a "spring cleaning" if you will. Development is key here on XDA developers, and the place where most development is happening, it's a mess... Oh, the irony.

Oh and please, if you have any ideas or comments regarding this post, do not refrain from posting them here.

Let's start cleaning, shall we? ;)
    Looks like OP forgot to mention that posting "Thanks" instead of just hitting thanks button is also a source of unnecessary clutter :p
    Looks like OP forgot to mention that posting "Thanks" instead of just hitting thanks button is also a source of unnecessary clutter :p

Fix'd :D