Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 52,836 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Host does nothing? :(

Tip us?

enp82003
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I hate when they have a feature then take it away.... WTF is the reasoning behind it?! people would buy less Samsung laptops or something?! Arg... Now i wish i went with another brand...

ImaWinRAR
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by im0rtalz View Post
I thought usb host would have to be enabled by the kernel not just the rom. Such as how it works on the tmobile version by flashing a custom recovery kernel. Darkstar rom might support it, but it has to be done in the kernel also, but I may be wrong.
i actually think its the other way around. according to jamcar, its already present in the kernel. and i think because he saw that, he thought it would already be supported in his rom when it evidently is not (dont mean to put so much pressure on him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enp82003 View Post
I hate when they have a feature then take it away.... WTF is the reasoning behind it?! people would buy less Samsung laptops or something?! Arg... Now i wish i went with another brand...
that is what everyones mind was flaming
The Following User Says Thank You to ImaWinRAR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaKlown
Old
Thanks Meter 37
To shed some light on this situation the international galaxy s2 has had this feature from day 1. It was also used in the marketing of the s2 as a feature Samsung was proud of. Long story short sprint had Samsung pull it from our device. I have no info as to why Sprint had them do this. Kind of like how Sprint had them pull the nfc chip without any explanation i guess...

enp82003
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKlown View Post
To shed some light on this situation the international galaxy s2 has had this feature from day 1. It was also used in the marketing of the s2 as a feature Samsung was proud of. Long story short sprint had Samsung pull it from our device. I have no info as to why Sprint had them do this. Kind of like how Sprint had them pull the nfc chip without any explanation i guess...
Nfc chip? What is that?

JohnCorleone
Old
Thanks Meter 5,770

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nfc chip? What is that?
Near Field Communication I believe. My NS4G has it. I believe you can transfer data wireless to nearby device....I think. I am never around anyone who also has it. I disable it because it does use battery...even though its not in use

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

enp82003
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Would it be possible to down grade my kernal or go to the eu version so i could get usb host support?

Epix4G
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,035
Quote:
Would it be possible to down grade my kernal or go to the eu version so i could get usb host support?
There is no EU version this is not a gsm phone .....cdma only can't use kernels from them

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

DaKlown
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
No you cant use a gsm kernel on a cdma phone but the usb host code is a part of android since honeycomb. ICS has it too. Hopefully it will get re-enabled once we have a stable ICS OTA.