Say hi to "CyanoBoot" -- a 2nd bootloader/w menu aka "ub2" - (WIP)

OP fattire

10th March 2012, 06:51 AM   |  #31  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,407

1,526 posts
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStormer

I know this isnt really completely OT, I have a vision for what this bootloader could be like. Imagine a bootlosder where you could create custom profiles for your favorite ROMs and chose between them at startup. You could specify a name and then specify the zip or recovery file you wanted it to run. It would automatically take the necessary steps to install such as wiping data and dalvik etc etc. I'm picturing something that's super easy to use and easy to set up and maybe this is more in the idea of a recovery instead of a boot loader but I could see it happening here too. Hope you like the idea!

Sent from my Cyanogenmod 9 Alpha 0 Nook Tablet

You're describing a recovery. Remember-- the bootloader loads BEFORE any operating system-- before even a kernel is loaded! It has full access to the hardware, but few drivers at this point, and it can't do much-- the only file system it can read I think is vfat, and it can't even create a file from scratch, only read or modify an existing file by copying its contents directly into memory or dump memory into the file.

Think of the bootloader, programatically, as sorta like a big program that runs in a primitive DOS environment. Most of what it does is initialize hardware and then start the kernel, but it has a very limited ability to read files and detect what should happen as far as which kernel it should load.

The fact that it has a console (ie, can write text to the screen) and a menu system and all that is stuff I (crudely) added... it's not using any kind of API or screen drawing libraries or anything-- it's just one big C program calling functions that draw the characters to the screen as a bitmap pixel by pixel, and it's reading raw input from the button presses.... The menu all had to be written starting with a blank file called "menu.c" and going from there... I used parts of the stuff I did for nook color (which was in turn based on stuff from J4mm3r), but it was kind of a rethink.

To do installation of zips pretty much is perfectly suited for a recovery environment, and everything you propose would be great for someone enhancing CWM. But for the bootloader, it should be simple and lightweight, I think.

For the feature where you talk about "custom profiles for your favorite ROMs"-- that is what the altboot configuration is for. You can set up a 2nd kernel/ramdisk to be whatever you want-- a recovery, or another OS, or whatever.

This is being used to great effect in Nook Colorworld, where user "racks" has created a dualboot cm7/cm9 SD card. So you can boot from either at will off SD. It works well with CyanBoot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2012, 08:23 AM   |  #32  
Flag Davie, FL
Thanks Meter: 480

623 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

Cool. I haven't used NTHS but if it's a standalone app in the market.. sounds like maybe no need for a Nook Tablet Tweaks app (?)

It is, would you like it to also install cyanoboot as well?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianf21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2012, 12:46 PM   |  #33  
Flag SC UpState
Thanks Meter: 49

152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf21

It is, would you like it to also install cyanoboot as well?

Indeed, sounds like a plan!

TY pressed!
10th March 2012, 06:40 PM   |  #34  
Flag Long Island
Thanks Meter: 2

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

This is being used to great effect in Nook Colorworld, where user "racks" has created a dualboot cm7/cm9 SD card. So you can boot from either at will off SD. It works well with CyanBoot

So I could create "racks" dualboot CM7/CM9 SDcard and run this on the NT or is this a usecase for cyanoboot on the NC?
Last edited by nerdyjim; 10th March 2012 at 06:55 PM.
10th March 2012, 09:46 PM   |  #35  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,407

1,526 posts
Yeah, you could theoretically use cb to create a dual boot cm7/cm9 sd... although at the moment cm9 is configured for emmc install only. But it could be any 2 oses or recoveries or experimental kernels or whatever you like
The Following User Says Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2012, 05:59 AM   |  #36  
Flag Long Island

46 posts
More
I would love to get altboot working at some point on an SDcard. There hasn't been any img's around that would be compatible for this yet I think. I'm pretty sure I would need to modify the altboot.img somehow to get it to work properly. It was explained to me a few days ago but i have been busy and forgot the specifics.
12th March 2012, 07:25 AM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 140

165 posts
Hello, everybody. I have CM9 installed to EMMC and I am having a problem booting off the CM7 SD-card with "CyanoBoot". The only successful booting of CM7 is the first initial one. Any subsequent booting from the SD fails with the black screen. Am I missing something?
12th March 2012, 03:43 PM   |  #38  
Flag Long Island

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_lover

Hello, everybody. I have CM9 installed to EMMC and I am having a problem booting off the CM7 SD-card with "CyanoBoot". The only successful booting of CM7 is the first initial one. Any subsequent booting from the SD fails with the black screen. Am I missing something?

did you swap out the flashing_boot.img that comes with the CM7 SDcard img with cyanoboot's flashing_boot.img?
12th March 2012, 03:46 PM   |  #39  
Thanks Meter: 140

165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyjim

did you swap out the flashing_boot.img that comes with the CM7 SDcard img with cyanoboot's flashing_boot.img?

No, I didn't do anything to it. Cyanoboot + CM9 are installed to EMMC as I mentioned above. Do I have to do some swapping?
Last edited by nook_lover; 12th March 2012 at 03:50 PM.
12th March 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #40  
Flag Long Island

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_lover

No, I didn't do anything to it. Cyanoboot + CM9 are installed to EMMC as I mentioned above. Do I have to do some swapping?

This is probably why it is not booting to CM7 using you're SDcard. You need to install Cyanoboot on the SDcard as well.

Edit: basicly all you have to do is swap flashing_boot.img that is currently on you're sdcard with the flashing_boot.img from cyanoboot. It needs to be placed in p1 of you're SDcard (same spot where CM7 flashing_boot.img resides) download it from the OP. The u-boot.bin and mlo that is included on the CM7 Sdcard you have made will be sufficient enough.
Last edited by nerdyjim; 12th March 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
acclaim, bootloader, cyanoboot, locked, u-boot
Previous Thread Next Thread