Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,208 Members 37,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Say hi to "CyanoBoot" -- a 2nd bootloader/w menu aka "ub2" - (WIP)

Tip us?

fattire
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetris_I View Post
The N button doesnt work.
It shows Cyanoboot screen and then load up cwm, pressing N button doesnt stop this.
And of my supprise also in cwm i couldnt mount sd card so i had to go into adb magic to mount media to mmcblk0p10 and then push cm9.zip and flash from there as i didnt have any rom on the internal.

Edit:
After flashing cm9 with correct boot.img all back to normal.

Edit 2:
Just for report.
After trying to flash Kindle fire kernel, my NT never reached cyanoboot bootloader, it showed N screen then bootloop.
So something needs fixing in Cyanoboot.
What i mean is, even with wrong kernel wouldn't be normal to pass cyanoboot loader and bootloop after trying to load from emmc.
Why kernel messes up bootloader? Weird!
A few thoughts.

1. Cyanoboot is not meant to work on the kindle fire, and the kindle file kernel should not be used with the nook tablet. The only devices cyanoboot works with is 1. Nook Color 2. Nook Tablet, and there has been development on 3. The lenovo A1.
2. The kernel must be added to the boot.img (sd) or boot partition (emmc) in a very specific way. If you did not do it properly, you will not see past the "N" if you are booting from emmc. This is described in the OP in some detail.
3. It would not be normal to get past the cyanoboot loader if the kernel was not properly added to the boot image. Again, see the OP for how it should work. It would not be expected to do anything with a kindle fire kernel.
4. It's extremely hard to make an evaluation, especially without knowing exactly what you did to "flash" this kernel. What makes you think a kfire kernel would work? If you're interested in using an experimental 3.x kernel, see the 3.x kernel thread.

Demetris
Old
(Last edited by Demetris; 30th April 2012 at 11:02 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6371

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the quick answer.
As I clear out ,cyanoboot behavior depend on the kernel. So the kernel must be cyanoboot-aware.
P.s
I knew kf wouldnt boot I was just testing if I can recover via cyanoboot if I flash a "almost compatible" kernel, let's say bionic 3 .
And if I could fastboot flash boot boot.img
But never reached there

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA
Quote:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
Quote:
Demetris

flamingsamurai
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Having some trouble with Cyanoboot. I selected emmc recovery in the menu and now it is in a loop. It attempts to boot the recovery (Loading recovery from emmc...), then powers off and then reattempts to boot into recovery when it gets back into cyanoboot. It continues to loop, and doesn't cut out after 8 restarts.

I held the menu button to interrupt it and it won't respond at all. Also tried booting from SD but it boots straight into cyanoboot.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Demetris
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6371

DONATE TO ME
Do you have cwm recovery installed and tested to work?

fattire
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingsamurai View Post
Having some trouble with Cyanoboot. I selected emmc recovery in the menu and now it is in a loop. It attempts to boot the recovery (Loading recovery from emmc...), then powers off and then reattempts to boot into recovery when it gets back into cyanoboot. It continues to loop, and doesn't cut out after 8 restarts.

I held the menu button to interrupt it and it won't respond at all. Also tried booting from SD but it boots straight into cyanoboot.

Any help would be great, thanks.
If it's attempting to boot into recovery with every boot, this is due to an uncleared instruction in the /bootdata/bcb file that was NOT set by cyanoboot (it does not do this) and is not being cleared with every boot-- if you tried to boot into recovery from the reboot menu and do not have a valid recovery to boot into (and thus clear this instruction), this can happen...

Do you have a valid recovery image or other bootable SD? If you can boot into it, or any other valid image (boot off SD), this command from the shell should clear the bcb instruction:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/bootdata/BCB bs=1 count=1088

Kuzma30
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1341
Is it easy way to leave "Start fastboot" menu after sending image? (Pressing to power button is very long )
My device is NookTablet 16Gb version from Barnes $ Noble.
If you like my work - you can help me getting various cool stuff by sending a donation
After donation please PM me.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=3CCBFEXS6C8TY

Demetris
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6371

DONATE TO ME
fastboot reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to Demetris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mik_os
Old
Thanks Meter 1836
"fastboot continue" does not supported?
The Following User Says Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Demetris
Old
(Last edited by Demetris; 2nd May 2012 at 09:06 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6371

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik_os View Post
"fastboot continue" does not supported?
Didn't check, i will and post back

Edit:
It fails gracefully

C:\adb>fastboot devices
XXXX00XX0000000X fastboot

C:\adb>fastboot continue
resuming boot...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.001s

mik_os
Old
(Last edited by mik_os; 3rd May 2012 at 12:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1836
I think I know how to fix this (or at least how to activate menu again), but how to pack u-boot into that flash_image.img file? Found this, will try to make something usefull.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
acclaim, bootloader, cyanoboot, locked, u-boot