Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 51,684 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which ICS ROM is better?

Tip us?

jakob95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Which ICS ROM is better?

Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.
The Following User Says Thank You to jakob95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moore808
Old
Thanks Meter 46
I'm running FLEXREAPER and its been amazing so far. I also came from running Thor's rom, but I'm extremely happy with what civato has accomplished so far.

diiorio
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Depends on which of the brocken versions you want to use. None have full function. Some are more buggy then others. None use proper resolution, nor the new Tegra 2 optimizations, nor the addtional HDMI fuctions.

Probably best to wait for the upcoming offcial build, which will include all the optimizaitions, resoultion changes, dual layer dashboard, Acer wheel, then root it and go from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to diiorio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jm77
Old
(Last edited by jm77; 29th February 2012 at 05:21 PM.) Reason: removed items from list
Thanks Meter 46
It depends on your level of technical ability.

I would recommend:
  1. Reading through the links below
  2. Install RA via Acer Recovery Installer (use custom image option)
  3. Flash Stock, then flash CWM version via RA Recovery (all in one step, losing recovery)
  4. Install unlocked bootloader+custom recovery

Advantages:
  • Keep root
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Keep recovery
  • Remount /system rw (requires terminal app)
  • Remove bloat manually
  • Camera works
  • No sleep of death
  • Basically stock

I'm really pleased with my A500 right now, so this is what I'm running.
Nexus 5 (4.4.4/L Dev Preview)
Nexus 7 (2013, 4.4.4 Rooted)
LG G Watch (stock)

Psichi
Old
(Last edited by Psichi; 29th February 2012 at 06:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob95 View Post
Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.
How do you measure better?

I am running flexrom and it is smooth. You can always just make a nandroid and see how the other builds run. I haven't run Thors rom, so I can't give you a comparison.

Sent from Big Bertha

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm77 View Post
Advantages:
  • Not violate GPL blatantly
  • Avoid burning in hell and bad karma for violating GPL

I'm really pleased with my A500 right now, so this is what I'm running.
Is it necessary to be that aggressive to someone who is clearly an end-user? Why not state that "all of the roms released here benefited from an open collaborative environment from developers. This is why things like the GPL are important, because everyone can benefit by sharing knowledge that results in a quick resolution to issues that arise."

There is no need to attack people like a zealot
Trenton Makes, The World Takes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psichi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daveid
Old
Thanks Meter 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psichi View Post
Is it necessary to be that aggressive to someone who is clearly an end-user? Why not state that "all of the roms released here benefited from an open collaborative environment from developers. This is why things like the GPL are important, because everyone can benefit by sharing knowledge that results in a quick resolution to issues that arise."

There is no need to attack people like a zealot
Just wanted to emphasize this point... nice

wolverine423
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by diiorio View Post
Depends on which of the brocken versions you want to use. None have full function. Some are more buggy then others. None use proper resolution, nor the new Tegra 2 optimizations, nor the addtional HDMI fuctions.

Probably best to wait for the upcoming offcial build, which will include all the optimizaitions, resoultion changes, dual layer dashboard, Acer wheel, then root it and go from there.
This sounds like a troll post.

None use proper resolution? Is that a joke?
None have full function?

Flexreaper R4 is running well for me. No complaints. Seems just as functional as Honeycomb to me since full root and /system write permissions.

haag498
Old
Thanks Meter 20
ATM the ROMs based on the Acer leak are by far the best, as they have practically everything working (contraty to what some other poster thinks). There are some small omissions (like face unlock) and probably a few bugs that didn't yet show up, but other than that they are surprisingly fast and stable (I'm using FLEXREAPER R4, too).
As to violating GPL... well, in the end probably both do, but in thors case it's a good bit worse as he has a choice while vache (and those building on his leak) haven't.

dman918
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Came from Thor's as well. I then went to Lightspeed, which ran well but is really stripped down. If you want a pretty bare-bones ROM, this is good for that. I am now on Taboonay, which has seemed every bit as fast and smooth, yet also includes wallpapers, extra widgets, etc. I haven't tried Flexreaper so I can't speak of that one. Both I have tried were smoother than Thor's IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to dman918 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
SugarCoatedAngel Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by diiorio View Post

I'm waiting for a full version...