Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

[Q] HTC Desire freezes when switching from 3G to 2G

29th February 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Hello out there,
since I wiped my phone and updated to the most recent CyanogenMod 7 build (#262), my problem regularly freezes when switching from 3G to 2G mode. The only thing to get the device running again is to remove the battery and reinsert it again. If i'm still in an area or room with only 2G coverage, the phone freezes soon after boot-up.

Help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
toco

My phone:
HTC Desire (GSM)
PVT1 S-OFF
RADIO-5.17.05.23

CyanogenMod 7 20120225-NIGHTLY
Android ver. 2.3.7, kernel 2.6.37.6
29th February 2012, 08:35 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 454

2,444 posts
More
What I'd do in this order:

1) stop using nightlies
2) change kernel
3) change radio

There was this guy whose phone froze every time he was in space with low or no 3G coverage, and I think changing kernel from snq's to some other solved it for him.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
29th February 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vienna

10 posts
More
Thanks for your quick response!

Ok, I appreciate your advice. If the problem keeps occurring I will switch back to the latest stable.

But, still something strange about it: I had absolutely no problem the first weeks i was using this nightly (262 was since November 2011 the latest nightly until today), the problem started to occur from one day to the other.
I am using the radio version since probably half a year or even more, without any problems.
Also, 262 was reported (cyanogenmod forums, other forums) to be very stable on the Desire, almost no people reported having problems with it. That's why i decided to update to build 262. I for my part am suspecting a software being the cause for the freezes, but i have no clue which one.. I even checked the system logs.

As for the kernel: Call me a noob, but how do i change the kernel? I know how to root devices, flash recoveries and roms, but how can i change the kernel directly?

Greetings,
toco
1st March 2012, 05:48 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 454

2,444 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocophonic

As for the kernel: Call me a noob, but how do i change the kernel? I know how to root devices, flash recoveries and roms, but how can i change the kernel directly?

Kernel is flashed the same way as roms are. Make sure you use a correct one, manU 2.1 is probably the most popular of those which will work on cyanogenmod.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
1st March 2012, 04:23 PM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 893

2,333 posts
More
if that doesn't work:

Dialer/

*#*#4636*#*#

phone settings > network type: WCDMA only
1st March 2012, 05:17 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vienna

10 posts
More
Alright, one more thing: If I change the kernel to let's say Manu 2.1 - how can I switch back to the original CM7 kernel again? Just by reinstalling the CM7 ROM?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortak

if that doesn't work:

Dialer/

*#*#4636*#*#

phone settings > network type: WCDMA only

Wait, if I set it to WCDMA only I can only access data services when in a 3G covered area, right? Thats not optimal either because i'm regularily visiting my parents on weekends, where only 2G coverage is available. Also in some buildings (esp. cellars) here in the city there is only 2G coverage.
3rd March 2012, 10:25 PM   |  #7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 893

2,333 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocophonic

Alright, one more thing: If I change the kernel to let's say Manu 2.1 - how can I switch back to the original CM7 kernel again? Just by reinstalling the CM7 ROM?

Thanks!

Wait, if I set it to WCDMA only I can only access data services when in a 3G covered area, right? Thats not optimal either because i'm regularily visiting my parents on weekends, where only 2G coverage is available. Also in some buildings (esp. cellars) here in the city there is only 2G coverage.

Yeah, but it can solve the issue, I get it intermittently sometimes too but after a reboot or two its usually fine.
4th March 2012, 07:14 AM   |  #8  
Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 7

59 posts
More
Hi

I have similar problem, freeze mainly occuring when the radio reception is poor...
Tried almost evrything differents ROM, kernels, gparted my SD, full wipe....

For three weeks I have no freeze since i tried bending the slots cards like mentionned here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=96
4th March 2012, 12:18 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vienna

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrand13

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=96

I'm afraid your link does not work bertrand I get a 404 there. Can u please repost the link?
Last edited by tocophonic; 4th March 2012 at 01:40 PM.
4th March 2012, 01:40 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vienna

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortak

Yeah, but it can solve the issue, I get it intermittently sometimes too but after a reboot or two its usually fine.

I would have written you a PM but as I'm not yet allowed to (too few xda posts) I have to put the question here: What happens on May 7th (your signature)? Because i'm looking for an adequate successor to my Desire (~3,7" display) as well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread