Installed Win 8 Consumer Preview and it works like a charm
I have installed Win 8 Consumer Preview using the instructions posted on XDA for Developer preview and didnt face any issues.
Everything works smooth and it is much slicker and smoother than developer preview.
If you try updating directly from the microsoft site it downloads an installer file and it stops after it detects that the ****s processor is les than 1 GHz and asks you to upgarde it. The alternative to this is.
1. Down load the iso image onto your shift (make sure you are downloading the 32 bit one)
2. Extract the contents of the iso image using 7zip or Win Rar
3. Dont run the setup.exe on the root folder instead navigate to the folder named "sources".
4. Inside this file you will find a setup.exe file, just run it and you are done (ensure you are on mains power else the set up will get stopped at one point, also make a note of the Serial Key from the microsft site as you will as)
5. Select the option-2 (one which is at the bottom) after you run the setup.exe.
6. There will be couple of restarts and you are done.
7. As expected after complete installation you dont have the wifi and touch set up and you need to this manually. (just follow the steps exactly in the same sequence mentioned in the link in the post above this).
You are done and enjoy your HTC Shift with windows 8 consumer preview.