di11i kernel beta .01 (unsecure boot.img- root shell, adb remount) ext4 tweaks/init.d

OP di11igaf

3rd March 2012, 02:01 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 72

238 posts
More
Flashed this kernel, but had 2 concerns:
1. Right after boot I had a android.process.acore force close, not sure what causes that
2. This kernel seems to be based on an earlier kernel, not the current 003 kernel in the 15 update

Any comments on that?

Sent from my ROOTED Transformer Prime
3rd March 2012, 02:28 AM   |  #32  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 666

1,760 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf6768

Flashed this kernel, but had 2 concerns:
1. Right after boot I had a android.process.acore force close, not sure what causes that
2. This kernel seems to be based on an earlier kernel, not the current 003 kernel in the 15 update

Any comments on that?

1- im guessing you didn't wipe, which is fine, but these are file system tweaks so a fresh start would be better. If it only happened once, and is not happening over and over you're probably fine. If you don't fully wipe /data, it wouldn't hurt to at least wipe cache and dalvik-cache .
You won't lose anything by wiping those but the first reboot will take a long time while dalvik-cache rebuilds.
2- there is no source for newest kernel, the kernel image I will be releasing soon will be this version, so it makes sense to make sure everything works with what I will be releasing.
I don't think much changed in the newer kernel version(nothing significant ) if anything

Also, this is NOT compatible with cm9, I will update op for new users who may not realize that.
Last edited by di11igaf; 3rd March 2012 at 02:32 AM.
3rd March 2012, 02:44 AM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 72

238 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by di11igaf

1- im guessing you didn't wipe, which is fine, but these are file system tweaks so a fresh start would be better. If it only happened once, and is not happening over and over you're probably fine. If you don't fully wipe /data, it wouldn't hurt to at least wipe cache and dalvik-cache .
You won't lose anything by wiping those but the first reboot will take a long time while dalvik-cache rebuilds.
2- there is no source for newest kernel, the kernel image I will be releasing soon will be this version, so it makes sense to make sure everything works with what I will be releasing.
I don't think much changed in the newer kernel version(nothing significant ) if anything

Also, this is NOT compatible with cm9, I will update op for new users who may not realize that.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I wiped cache and dalvik like I always do before I flash a kernel but I guess that wasn't enough. Thanks for your work!

3rd March 2012, 02:48 AM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 17

330 posts
anyway we can get a beefier OC then 1.6ghz and maybe some UV? :P
The Following User Says Thank You to tassadar898 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2012, 03:07 AM   |  #35  
Flag Henrico, VA
Thanks Meter: 177

812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassadar898

anyway we can get a beefier OC then 1.6ghz and maybe some UV? :P

Definitely some UV action! Pretty please? =)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
3rd March 2012, 08:16 AM   |  #36  
Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 886

3,052 posts
More
UV is most of the times placebo, unless you UV by big values, that are most if the time not supported by CPU.

It's generally a source if instability rather than longevity. Some of our kernel devs made extensive tests and with secure UV there wasn't any difference in battery life (I speak of my phone if course but it's the same thing).

Calculate in % what does represent 25, 50 75mV less compared to CPU voltage....
3rd March 2012, 04:38 PM   |  #37  
Flag Henrico, VA
Thanks Meter: 177

812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striatum_bdr

UV is most of the times placebo, unless you UV by big values, that are most if the time not supported by CPU.

It's generally a source if instability rather than longevity. Some of our kernel devs made extensive tests and with secure UV there wasn't any difference in battery life (I speak of my phone if course but it's the same thing).

Calculate in % what does represent 25, 50 75mV less compared to CPU voltage....

Maybe its different for phones but on desktop lower voltage means lower temps and power. Lower temps means lower amp draw which means lower power usage. Voltage usually means exponentially higher power draw. Although with these chips being produced as low voltage devices to begin with, there may be significantly less wiggle room.

4th March 2012, 05:48 AM   |  #38  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast

1,760 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hopefully have the optimised kernel out soon, hopefully tomorrow depending how late I stay up tonight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to di11igaf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 07:22 AM   |  #39  
Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 886

3,052 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefit14snake

Maybe its different for phones but on desktop lower voltage means lower temps and power. Lower temps means lower amp draw which means lower power usage. Voltage usually means exponentially higher power draw. Although with these chips being produced as low voltage devices to begin with, there may be significantly less wiggle room.

Well then be ready to see many reports about bootloops, BSOD..

To limit that, please choose standard voltage table, and do not undervolt by default

Tablets are more phones than desktops despite their abilities, and CPU design is not the same.
Last edited by Striatum_bdr; 4th March 2012 at 07:25 AM.
4th March 2012, 10:04 AM   |  #40  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast

1,760 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, I seriously doubt any under volt will be in the first few versions unless I get lucky. One of the source files where I believe I may be able to get a simple over clock is well over 4000 lines of code. If it doesn't work as planned, who knows when . This isn't even accounting for any voltages, just clock speed. Tegra 3 is DEFINITELY a complex beast.
Hopefully someone like bumblebee has already been looking into it and has a better grasp than me.(edit just looked at his git, nothing for tf-201. I'm sure there's more people than me looking into it)
Last edited by di11igaf; 4th March 2012 at 10:08 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to di11igaf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread