Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,700 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TOOL][APK ROOT]SparkyRoot Apk root method

Tip us?

sparkym3
Old
(Last edited by sparkym3; 3rd May 2012 at 10:09 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
Wink [TOOL][APK ROOT]SparkyRoot Apk root method

This APK root method is currently based on the busybox exploit that rhcp0112345 found, so thanks to him. I currently do not have a donation link in the app for him, but I will add one if he sends me the link and anybody can jump over to his original post if they would like.

This is an interim step of this app as I have been trying to finish a more complicated root method, since this one is most likely to get patched shortly. Also, in future updates I will be adding an unroot method as well as possible rootkeeper type functionality and depending on feedback I may add a quick install for the unlock tool.

The steps are similar to the PC version except it only requires a button press to perform the step.
1. Install this app (SparkyRoot)
2. Click step 1, Exploit (will move the files around and replace the busybox file)
3. Click step 2, Open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (you can use this one, its small)
4. Return to this app and Click step 3 Install SuperUser (will install the SuperUser app)
5. Click step 4, Cleanup (will cleanup all of the temporary files and revert the busybox file)
6. Profit???

UPDATE: 3/3/2012 - v1.1 - enhancements
Added a button for opening the backup app.
Updated SuperUser app to the latest version (you would have gotten a market update anyway)
Added indicators for if the su binary is there and if it has the proper read/execute permissions
Added indicator for if the SuperUser app is installed

UPDATE: 3/5/2012 - v1.2 - minor update
Added donation link for rhcp0112345
He also requested that I put his link in this thread so here are those
(TF101) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1515470
(TF201) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1518429

UPDATE: 3/18/2012 - v1.3 – enhancement/fix
Fixed issue where if you have never opened the app backup tool before the rooting would fail due to not accepting the terms of service
Added an unroot option (the current method requires superuser installed so that it can grant this app permission to unroot)
Attached Files
File Type: apk SparkyRoot.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.09 MB, 107213 views)

Donate To Me

SparkyRoot Apk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24540453

DebugFS Root Tool
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1706588

TF700 - Transformer Infinity, 32GB, Grey, Rooted, Series C7
---TF201 - Swapped previously owned Transformer Prime series BCOKAS through BestBuy exchange---
The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to sparkym3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sparkym3
Old
(Last edited by sparkym3; 1st July 2012 at 06:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
From comments below, it appears that there may be an issue with checking you root access in correlation to Root Checker and BusyBox. I have never installed either of these apps on my device and have never seen the issue. To help clear some of this up I have added a check into my app that will tell you if the files are all set up properly, with proper permissions.

Also, make sure the SuperUser app is running in the background so that it can give root access to apps that you specify (if it is not running, your device will appear to not be rooted).

If you are having any issues, and you are using these apps, I would recommend that you uninstall them prior to rooting and then reinstall them after you have finished running the app to root the device and then reboot the device.

FYI
This root app has been confirmed working on certain versions of the ASUS Transformer (TF101), Transformer Prime (TF201), Transformer (TF300) Devices.
This includes
v9.4.2.15 for the TF201
v9.2.1.11 for the TF101
v9.4.3.17 for the TF300

This method (as it is currently implemented) no longer works with:
v9.4.2.21 for the TF201
v9.2.1.17 for the TF101
v9.4.3.26 for the TF300

To root on one of these non-supported ROM versions, please use this new root tool I have created.

Donate To Me

SparkyRoot Apk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24540453

DebugFS Root Tool

TF700 - Transformer Infinity, 32GB, Grey, Rooted, Series C7
---TF201 - Swapped previously owned Transformer Prime series BCOKAS through BestBuy exchange---
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sparkym3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

huynhc
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Nice!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
I just rooted the other night..lol. great work though. ill save it in my android tools folder for just in case anything voodoo fails on next update. thanks man! I was constantly checking this section since I posted on your thread n you said you might make an apk form of rooting. thanks again!

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

Orkeren
Old
Thanks Meter 65
will try on my tf101 later today
rhcp0112345 stated his root-method would work on the tf101 too, so I hope your apk does too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Orkeren For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sparkym3
Old
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkeren View Post
will try on my tf101 later today
rhcp0112345 stated his root-method would work on the tf101 too, so I hope your apk does too!
Yes, this should work for the tf101, I think the exploit was actually first found on that device and then confirmed on the prime later.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkym3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mj56gt
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have a TF101 with stock ICS installed from Asus website. Can I install this apk through adb since I only have access to a Mac computer now? Thanks!

sparkym3
Old
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj56gt View Post
I have a TF101 with stock ICS installed from Asus website. Can I install this apk through adb since I only have access to a Mac computer now? Thanks!
Yes, you should be able to, or just download it strait from your web browser on your tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkym3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Orkeren
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Well I can confirm it working

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

TremF
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I wasn't going to root just yet but if it's as easy as this then I guess I'm convinced. It also means I can run the ezoverclock just released too. What a good day this turned out to be
Thank you!