TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

What are the differences between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen WP devices for Apollo.

OP Kenzibit

5th March 2012, 01:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Accra
Thanks Meter: 21

137 posts
More
When I read some threads in this forum, I keep on seeing people making comments like 2nd gen WP devices like TItan II and Lumia 900 getting Apollo updates but not 1st gen devices like my HD7 because of hardware. It makes me laugh coz the question is whats the difference between this devices in general.

Just look at this:
1st gen and 2nd gen have the same 512 MB ROM,
The have the Same 512 MB RAM (even more on my HD7 which has a RAM of 576MB)
CPU speed is just a difference of 0.5 (1ghz for 1st gen and maximum of 1.5ghz for 2nd gen)

Based on these important specs, why can one then say 2nd gen can get Apollo updates whilst 1st gen can't. I mean based on what? cpu what?

I even see people writing that, Tango devices are similar to 1st gen so both wont get Apollo and 2nd gen will get...what the heck? With tango devices running half of all these specs? How can you write something like this...SMH.
5th March 2012, 01:44 PM   |  #2  
Houston
Thanks Meter: 11

70 posts
More
I have always wondered the same thing. I could see certain companies (cough cough AT&T cough cough) not pushing any update for Gen 1 since it will have been 2 years since the phones were launched.

The only issue I can really see is that the OS might need different drivers to run Windows Phone 8 due to a very different kernel. This would mean the manufacturer would have to release a driver update for a 2 year old phone. Thus, I could see Samsung (for example) only releasing drivers for the Focus S and Focus Flash, but not the original Focus.
5th March 2012, 02:21 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 47

1,376 posts
Didn't microsoft promised support to all the phones for like 3 years or something? I remember people saying that continued support is another reason for them to buy WP7.
5th March 2012, 03:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

231 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborg

Didn't microsoft promised support to all the phones for like 3 years or something? I remember people saying that continued support is another reason for them to buy WP7.

No, they said two major upgrades.

So that means: Mango, Tango.
5th March 2012, 03:17 PM   |  #5  
Flag OH-IO

282 posts
More
More answers to the same question here.
5th March 2012, 06:20 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Accra

137 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoMaximus

No, they said two major upgrades.

So that means: Mango, Tango.

But Tango is a Minor update right? That means it's left with One major update.
5th March 2012, 06:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Bronx, NY

159 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzibit

But Tango is a Minor update right? That means it's left with One major update.

True tango just like nodo are consider minor updates.And if they promise 2 major updates that should be mango and apollo.
5th March 2012, 08:39 PM   |  #8  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Pacoima, CA
Thanks Meter: 265

2,401 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzibit

Just look at this:
1st gen and 2nd gen have the same 512 MB ROM,
The have the Same 512 MB RAM (even more on my HD7 which has a RAM of 576MB)
CPU speed is just a difference of 0.5 (1ghz for 1st gen and maximum of 1.5ghz for 2nd gen)

You don't understand how hardware works do you?

Yes they have the same amount of RAM, but it is most likely faster RAM like DDR2 compared to DDR3.

Yes, the clock speed is only .4-.5 GHz faster, but that's a 40-50% gain in clock alone nevermind the fact that the newer Snapdragon does more work per clock cycle. So, you're talking 2-3 times the performance.

The GPU in the newer Snapdragon is also 2-3 times faster & that SoC also has better battery life thanks the the smaller nm technology.

Also, you're forgetting about the hardware level enhancements to the chips. Basically talking about SSE/etc. equivalent. Certain versions of Adobe Photoshop won't work on certain CPU's just because a lack of SSE.

Spec sheets mean nothing if you don't know this kind of information. It'd be like compared an AMD Athlon XP 2.5 GHz CPU to a AMD 2.5 GHz x64. They are both 2.5 GHz & were out at the same time, but the x64 was vastly superior & not just because it was a 64-bit CPU. Another example is Celeron/Pentium. Granted thread, that huge performance increase was Cache memory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drkfngthdragnlrd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2012, 10:14 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Accra

137 posts
More
These differences are not much if I'm right. They just can't choose to upgrade 2nd gen devices and leave these 1st gen based on this small difference. I would understand if it were between a single core and a dual core.
5th March 2012, 10:15 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Accra

137 posts
More
Right said!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread