Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,675 Members 46,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] MIUI v4 (ICS) ALPHA2

Tip us?

Delvien
Old
Thanks Meter 478

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacles10 View Post
I don't understand why people say this. What about not having a recovery makes you nervous? A rom doesn't need a custom recovery to work properly.

Its not like an HTC device where returning to stock requires an RUU which at times can be tricky. We have Odin. Its like the easiest/best thing for Modding android aside from a simple ged unlock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
I can see both perspective, me personally... I'm away from my home comp for 14+hours a day, so having a recovery I can flash an update directly from my phone without odin is nice. Doesnt make me "nervous" not having a custom recovery though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to help me purchase a new device? Hit that donate button and thank you!

MДЯCЦSДИT
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
I wouldn't use a rom without recovery honestly.

Sent from my AOKP/MIUI Epic 4G. I am an überkanger and proud!

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3456

DONATE TO ME
especially since its so easy to put one on now, with tools like mobile odin
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...

misfit0313
Old
Thanks Meter 218

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusant View Post
It should work fine. I will probably include it in the update tomorrow or Saturday (shhhh... forget I gave an ETA)

Um... trying to wipe it out of memory. Got so excited, almost made sticky in my shorts.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

SantinoInc
Old
Thanks Meter 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloanindy View Post
::My impressions for Alpha 1

Things work pretty good. Most all features work, and some better than the GB Miui. For a first release, I'm impressed.

The display glitchyness isn't really that bad. Just every now and then the display slices up or jitters a little as you scroll--but everything still looks great.

LED notifications work better in this build than they did in GB.

Sound is still a little goofy (when you first adjust volume sometimes it jumps to a loud level). But I'd say again, it's better than GB.

GPS I think is much better in this build than GB.

Battery life--so so. Id say it certainly eats it faster.

Camera works great and so does a torch widget, but did MIUI get rid of the Torch on the lock screen? Couldn't get it to activate.

I tried a couple themes and had no problems.

My favorite thing is the incoming call screen. You can finally choose between horizontal or vertical answering.

::My concerns with this build

Having no recovery makes me nervous. hope that comes soon.

Some market apps won't load--notably two of my favorites: Weatherbug and RunKeeper aren't visible in the market nor can they be restored from Backup. Not sure if this is just because the apps haven't been updated for ICS yet?

Can't see all the notification icons... some get hidden behind the "..." even when there's relatively few.

No VVM. The app restores from backup, and it would sometimes tell me there was a voicemail, but it seemed unreliable and the notification wouldn't go away.

I believe I missed some calls. I'd have a voicemail and no record that the phone rang.

Music force closes a lot (even when you're not using it). I remember reading something about that a few pages ago so I think there's a fix possibly.

Edit/Add: I was definitely missing calls while on MIUI4, and reads from storage were very slow. GoSMS took forever to restore texts from backup. It chewed threw my extended battery pretty quick today--I think it has some sleep issues. And finally, after a day or so some apps just started failing and wouldn't load.

::In all... I CAN'T WAIT for a stable build of this. I do hope progress continues. Just excellent work guys and I donated a few days ago. Thanks again! Keep us posted on progress. I may stick it out another day or so, but some of the glitches are biggies (missing phone calls). Others are just expected minor bugs.
Nice breakdown of your experience with the ROM. I wish more people were that detailed with their post. One thing you didn't comment on (if you did, I overlooked it) was the camcorder. Does it still only record on the lowest resolution?
Free 15GB storage plus an additional 5GB for using my referral link. You can also get an additional 5GB for every person you get to join! Of course it has a Android app with features such as automatically syncing any photos/videos you have recently taken when you are on WiFi. Give it a shot!
https://copy.com?r=yxvvP2
The Following User Says Thank You to SantinoInc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nee_vak
Old
(Last edited by nee_vak; 11th March 2012 at 05:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoInc View Post
Nice breakdown of your experience with the ROM. I wish more people were that detailed with their post. One thing you didn't comment on (if you did, I overlooked it) was the camcorder. Does it still only record on the lowest resolution?
I recorded something last week using ics camera from market (using miui gb build), completely forgot about that problem, video looks fine (default setting was normal bitrate)

edit: looked it up on my pc, resolution seems to be 640*480 (i assume thats much better than the lowest setting lol)

trevoc1
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I love all the new ICS leaks but im so looking forward to getting some fresh new MIUI updates!!! Its like the theme song to final jeopardy. Its humming in my head.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Caulks FC07 using XDA App
ROM: Goodness Stock MA4 v1.0.1

SantinoInc
Old
Thanks Meter 714
Question for Marcusant &/or TCP:

Was just wondering if you guys anticipate to continue supporting this ROM. So far it is looking very good and I am grateful for it but it would be nice to know if it has a future or if this is a one release deal. Hope the question didn't come off as being ungrateful.
Free 15GB storage plus an additional 5GB for using my referral link. You can also get an additional 5GB for every person you get to join! Of course it has a Android app with features such as automatically syncing any photos/videos you have recently taken when you are on WiFi. Give it a shot!
https://copy.com?r=yxvvP2

barnacles10
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1336

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusant View Post
I wouldn't use a rom without recovery honestly.

Every single Epic Touch ROM has a recovery.
Github
mdpi t(o.0t) [ Galaxy S4 | Google Nexus LTE | Nexus 7 ]

MДЯCЦSДИT
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacles10 View Post
Every single Epic Touch ROM has a recovery.
Except this one's recovery is broken because the base CM rom had a broken recovery.

Tags
i called you a spleen, ti^yfo