I saw some threads floating around about youtube 720p playback, and I really always wanted that myself.
But I was stupid enough not to even try.
I did try now and, yep, I got it working!
How I installed it:
** Remember: Your device must be capable of 1080p/720p video decoding and rooted, unless YouTube is not preinstalled as a system app!
• Removed /system/app/YouTube.apk
• If YouTube is still in the app drawer, go into YouTube app info and tap "Remove installed updates", then "Force stop".
• Install my APK!
If that doesn't work for you, try this alternative method:
• Remove YouTube.apk from /system/app (if there is any)
• Uninstall YouTube if it's still on the drawer
• Push my APK into /system/app (be careful with permissions / ownership)
DownloadsWiFi HD: HD only available when connected to WiFi networks
Android 2.2 or newer (Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean)Older builds
v4.4.11 - Build v5b
v4.4.11 Inverted (Dark theme) - Build v5b (Thanks to rujelus22, B-boy, Team Blackout)
Holo blue inverted builds (Thanks to Kryten2k35)
To enable my extras, just press your phone's menu button (or open the overflow menu top right corner) then tap "Advanced Settings"
How to get 3rd party apps utilizing YouTube player to work with this mod
v5b Source (smali/resources changes, eclipse project)
WiFi + 3G HD: HD available on both WiFi and mobile networks
Enjoy, thank & donate!