Ask a question

No registration required

Time to give credit to Samsung.

OP ninrocket2

ninrocket2
4th March 2012, 09:33 PM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
I have to say I have tried EVERY ROM on the SGH-T989 and can say none are as stable and have the battery life to match the stock ROM.

I tried Darkside today. It is a clean ROM. Close to stock. I had two complete lockups on the phone that required battery removal in about a 6 hour period. I am not overclocking at all. The ROM has an underclock by default.

I just think it's time to give Samsung and the programmers there a thumbs up for doing such a great job on this phone.

It would be nice if they could release more of the header and source so the developers here could have a better chance of getting a stable ROM built...but until that happens I will just stay with a rooted and stock ROM.

Peace.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toledo, OH
Thanks Meter: 357

1,691 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've had no lockups or any problems in the 150 hour uptime I had with Juggernaut 5.0 with 009m faux's kernel.

Battery life is much better as well. Dropping down to 80% after 1 hour of display time.
The Following User Says Thank You to chlehqls For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 09:45 PM   |  #3  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 881

2,834 posts
More
Cool story bro
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ceejay83 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
ninrocket2
4th March 2012, 09:46 PM   |  #4  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlehqls

I've had no lockups or any problems in the 150 hour uptime I had with Juggernaut 5.0 with 009m faux's kernel.

Battery life is much better as well. Dropping down to 80% after 1 hour of display time.

I was on the stock ROM for 6 hours yesterday. Surfing, playing games, wifi enabled. Used a bit over 30% from a full charge.

I jumped right into custom ROM's when I got this phone. After going back to stock is when I realized how much the custom ROM's actually degrade the phone.

I have ran Jugg's 4.x with Faux kernel and Bullet kernels. Bullet was faster by a good bit. Battery sucker from hell though.

Do these phones really need the overclocks and tweaks? After going back to stock my opinion is no.

Peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 280

1,488 posts
More
You probably didnt follow the directions when installing any of the roms you tried.

If companies like samsung were as awesome as you say they are, would XDA exist at all in the 1st place?

Enjoy your bloatware.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordanishere For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 10:13 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 58

469 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninrocket2

I was on the stock ROM for 6 hours yesterday. Surfing, playing games, wifi enabled. Used a bit over 30% from a full charge.

I jumped right into custom ROM's when I got this phone. After going back to stock is when I realized how much the custom ROM's actually degrade the phone.

I have ran Jugg's 4.x with Faux kernel and Bullet kernels. Bullet was faster by a good bit. Battery sucker from hell though.

Do these phones really need the overclocks and tweaks? After going back to stock my opinion is no.

Peace.

Battery proof? Heres mine with Darkside:

http://db.tt/Dndk1SLW
http://db.tt/qxYSJxJv
http://db.tt/AydX5Jxx

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Last edited by djxcee; 4th March 2012 at 10:16 PM.
ninrocket2
4th March 2012, 10:27 PM   |  #7  

n/a posts
Me being the analytical type....and to just keep this topic fact filled and useful will create a test bed to compare the 'popular' roms versus stock.

I will create a post in the next week to share the results.

Peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 10:31 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 280

1,488 posts
More
Quote:

Me being the analytical type....and to just keep this topic fact filled and useful will create a test bed to compare the 'popular' roms versus stock.

I will create a post in the next week to share the results.

Peace.

Theres already a thread for that:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1524569

The Following User Says Thank You to jordanishere For This Useful Post: [ View ]
ninrocket2
4th March 2012, 10:35 PM   |  #9  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanishere

You probably didnt follow the directions when installing any of the roms you tried.

If companies like samsung were as awesome as you say they are, would XDA exist at all in the 1st place?

Enjoy your bloatware.

Keep it civil and to the point. Don't attack my character by implying that I don't know how to follow directions and flash a ROM. I have been a member on XDA since the first year....much longer than you.

I don't have a problem with bloatware. I use a stock ROOTED ROM and remove the bloatware. Very easy to test and then delete bloatware using Titanium Backup.

XDA got it's start back when the CPU and chipsets on phones were very slow. Over time the new phones have become handheld computers. The processing speed is much faster.

In the beginning the OS's were in the infantile stages as well. They have all improved dramatically.

I remember when a flash on something like the HTC Tytan made a huge difference. You were getting the GPS and FM Radio Unlocked. The bloatware was removed in the ROM(Windows based...no ROOT access). It made a huge difference in the performance of the phone and unlocked a lot of features.

This isn't the case with the new phones. There really is nothing being added to the ROM's that can't be added via the market or removed using Titanium Backup.

What I have seen with every ROM is intermittent lockups that require battery removal and excessive battery consumption probably from the aggressive timings that aren't necessary.

Peace.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 10:46 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

75 posts
Quote:

Keep it civil and to the point. Don't attack my character by implying that I don't know how to follow directions and flash a ROM. I have been a member on XDA since the first year....much longer than you.

I don't have a problem with bloatware. I use a stock ROOTED ROM and remove the bloatware. Very easy to test and then delete bloatware using Titanium Backup.

XDA got it's start back when the CPU and chipsets on phones were very slow. Over time the new phones have become handheld computers. The processing speed is much faster.

In the beginning the OS's were in the infantile stages as well. They have all improved dramatically.

I remember when a flash on something like the HTC Tytan made a huge difference. You were getting the GPS and FM Radio Unlocked. The bloatware was removed in the ROM(Windows based...no ROOT access). It made a huge difference in the performance of the phone and unlocked a lot of features.

This isn't the case with the new phones. There really is nothing being added to the ROM's that can't be added via the market or removed using Titanium Backup.

What I have seen with every ROM is intermittent lockups that require battery removal and excessive battery consumption probably from the aggressive timings that aren't necessary.

Peace.

I look forward to your battery testing!

Please include multiple kernels as you test various ROMs, especially faux and Synergy

And perhaps install Juice Defender as a best case.

Personally I haven't experienced any lockups with the two custom T989 ROMs I've tested, but have benefited from the improved battery life dramatically. I'd still love to see a more controlled experiment, however.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread