My prime's screen cracked

Tip us?

dragonithe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster6070 View Post
Wow, that's really similar to mine. I just sent mine in for a warranty claim. Not sure they'll approve it, but this gives both of us more ammo for our claim. I've got post at the following link with a video on youtube as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1498237&page=2

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ld-i-do-7.html

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/SL03vjH-TOA

And a pic:

Yea, pretty much same situation / same result.
At least were not alone in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A Blet View Post
Check out http://www.androidworld.nl/forum/asu...erm-kapot.html

There is a guy with a spontaneous crack in the upper right corner
According to Asus there had been to much pressure on that spot.
Maybe he pinched too hard to get better wifi/ gps signal.
No warranty, cost him 142,81 euros to fix.
Hope you are not the same guy.
From the look of it I'll probably be in the same situation...
But let's hope that with all these pictures / occurrences we/I can convince them it's not our fault but a production failure.
Picture of the crack from that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Don't all of these seem to be originating from the top right, or at least in the top-half of the screen? (Assuming Asus logo is top left). I wonder if it's a hardware revision issue.. Do you all have similar serial numbers?

Wow, that's really frustrating..

So I guess no storing the tablet in the dock (at least not closed, anyway).
I don't know about the serial number but from the look of the thread that buster6070 posted it's more of a dock problem.
My serial is C10KAS0XXXXX

ringomaz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Serial#: BCOKA........ here and mine cracked on the upper LEFT, near the ASUS logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TF201-cracked-screen.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	933323  

namebrandon
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringomaz View Post
Serial#: BCOKA........ here and mine cracked on the upper LEFT, near the ASUS logo.
You're not left-handed are you?

Do any of you think this might be related to where one would grab the tablet to open it up?

that's so strange.. you'd think if the crack was anywhere, it'd be where the dock holds the tablet.. I think I might stick some tiny felt pads on the dock where the top (Asus label) of the tablet comes in contact.

buster6070
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My serial # is BCOKAS0XXXXX
My ATP is in the mail on it's way to a service center. But I've gone ahead and emailed ASUS with a link to this thread. I emailed their "Escalation Mailbox" and simply requested they take a serious look at my tablet before dismissing it as "CID". Also letting them know that this isn't an isolated situation. I would suggest everyone with this problem do the same. It's just to easy for them to dismiss a cracked screen as damaged done by the user.

B-Mod
Old
Thanks Meter 27
My wifes cracked this weekend in the upper left corner, it is ALWAYS docked and almost always on the dinning room table, she uses it as a laptop replacement. There is not a scratch on it! I sent a PM to Gary, I heard nothing back yet. If this is gorilla glass, then they have problems! My wifes cracked in the black area of the glass only, it is hard to even see it, but it is cracked. Hers had really bad light bleed but she did not care, I never would have lived with it since day one. Asus better find a fix for this one, or just recall them all, these problems keep growing.....

B-Mod
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	933344

BCOKAS serial number

wstahlm80
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This is not a thread I wanted to see...

I have a BCKOSA serial number....I hope that I don't become an active member of this thread....

buxtahuda
Old
Thanks Meter 162
This makes me so freaking nervous that one day I'll have a cracked screen.

And how could warranty not cover this? I'd bitch my way into it being covered, if there's no evidence of the user dropping or mishandling it then it defaults to being considered defective doesn't it?

Yours is the only case I've heard of that the Prime wasn't docked. Seems to me like the frame is letting the screen flex too much, but how you'd keep it from doing so I have no idea.
T-Mobile G2 w/ Google (HTC Vision/Desire Z) - Rooted: EMaokpM6

ASUS Transformer Prime CG 64GB C1OKAS017xxx: Rooted & Boosted

W7Ux64 / Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop:

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper Black case
KINGWIN Mach 1 1000W power supply
ASRock A75 PRO4 mobo
AMD A8-3850 APU
HIS Radeon HD 6770 graphics
16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM
5+ TB SATA storage

namebrandon
Old
(Last edited by namebrandon; 5th March 2012 at 11:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mod View Post
My wifes cracked this weekend in the upper left corner, it is ALWAYS docked and almost always on the dinning room table, she uses it as a laptop replacement. There is not a scratch on it! I sent a PM to Gary, I heard nothing back yet. If this is gorilla glass, then they have problems! My wifes cracked in the black area of the glass only, it is hard to even see it, but it is cracked. Hers had really bad light bleed but she did not care, I never would have lived with it since day one. Asus better find a fix for this one, or just recall them all, these problems keep growing.....

Was it always shut when not in use? That seems to be a common thread, that the "covert crack" always happened after the unit was closed shut..

B-Mod
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Was it always shut when not in use? That seems to be a common thread, that the "covert crack" always happened after the unit was closed shut..
Yes it is all ways shut when not used. I always shut mine also, but I don' t use mine as much as she uses her's all the time. No damage to case or to inner area of dock. I just don't know, it must be a stress issue. Is gorilla glass this fragile?