5,598,397 Members 48,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to test Cooked / Ported ROM - SGR

Tip us?
 
iKevinShah
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] How to test Cooked / Ported ROM - SGR

PORTING ROM - TUT

As per this guide i have made a rom port of Wiui for SGR

i want to test it

whats the safest method to test it (except flashing it on my cell, as bricking is always the threat)

AVD is also not in the scene i tried many times !

please guide
If I helped you, press thanks to that respective post

My Phone history :-
Samsung Galaxy R (Good) -> Sony xPeria Pro (Great) -> Looking for a new phone now
 
TheFrankenstain
Old
#2  
TheFrankenstain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2828
Posts: 1,085
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinShah View Post
PORTING ROM - TUT

As per this guide i have made a rom port of Wiui for SGR

i want to test it

whats the safest method to test it (except flashing it on my cell, as bricking is always the threat)

AVD is also not in the scene i tried many times !

please guide
If you replace the kernel with the phone then nothing happens but you have not bootable version, need flash and get logcat
 
iKevinShah
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
i am totallly new to this scenario

i searched online and logcat seems to be something related to Android SDK ?

am i wrong ?

also

I ported using Android Kitchen

and replaced kernel during that

and after doing all changes to build.prop, made the zip, signed it

now if i copy to sd card and update will it be done :/


what should i do to avoid BRICKING
If I helped you, press thanks to that respective post

My Phone history :-
Samsung Galaxy R (Good) -> Sony xPeria Pro (Great) -> Looking for a new phone now
 
FranzJesus
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 119
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinShah View Post
i am totallly new to this scenario

i searched online and logcat seems to be something related to Android SDK ?

am i wrong ?

also

I ported using Android Kitchen

and replaced kernel during that

and after doing all changes to build.prop, made the zip, signed it

now if i copy to sd card and update will it be done :/


what should i do to avoid BRICKING
Flashing will probably fail if you use kitchen generated updater-script.
I needed to use a custom updater-script from another working rom to make it flash.

Good luck!
 
iKevinShah
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
FranzJesus

\can u explain me a lil mroe?

abt custom updater script ?
If I helped you, press thanks to that respective post

My Phone history :-
Samsung Galaxy R (Good) -> Sony xPeria Pro (Great) -> Looking for a new phone now
 
FranzJesus
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 119
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinShah View Post
FranzJesus

\can u explain me a lil mroe?

abt custom updater script ?
The script file is far down the META-INF directory.
Replace that file with one from a custom rom zip file.

More info on the scripting language is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936175

The rest is up to you. Google is your friend
The Following User Says Thank You to FranzJesus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
iKevinShah
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzJesus View Post
The script file is far down the META-INF directory.
Replace that file with one from a custom rom zip file.

More info on the scripting language is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936175

The rest is up to you. Google is your friend
ok so all i need to take care is about the UPDATE SCript right

rest all the porting from the kitchen happens perfectly ?

i.e boot.img and kernel and system,etc ?
If I helped you, press thanks to that respective post

My Phone history :-
Samsung Galaxy R (Good) -> Sony xPeria Pro (Great) -> Looking for a new phone now
 
FranzJesus
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 119
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinShah View Post
ok so all i need to take care is about the UPDATE SCript right

rest all the porting from the kitchen happens perfectly ?

i.e boot.img and kernel and system,etc ?
Yeah, pretty much.
But it's the updater-script that makes sure the files gets to the correct partitions.
There is no "easy" way to do this. No shortcuts. Kitchen makes it easy to add stuff, sign and change build.prop things. But that's about it.
You need to study code and the information that is here on XDA or on google, because if you wan't to succeed you need to get your hand dirty.

As for your little project, do you have a aosp-rom for our phone to build from?
Because that guide you are referring to says that you need a cm7 or aosp base build for you phone, otherwise the build you are doing won't boot.
 
iKevinShah
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzJesus View Post
Yeah, pretty much.
But it's the updater-script that makes sure the files gets to the correct partitions.
There is no "easy" way to do this. No shortcuts. Kitchen makes it easy to add stuff, sign and change build.prop things. But that's about it.
You need to study code and the information that is here on XDA or on google, because if you wan't to succeed you need to get your hand dirty.

As for your little project, do you have a aosp-rom for our phone to build from?
Because that guide you are referring to says that you need a cm7 or aosp base build for you phone, otherwise the build you are doing won't boot.
AOSP is there in early stages

no cm7 as of yet...
so what m doing is chucking the Kitchen part for porting,

Can I :-
Edit the stock ROM and rename it,add root permissions and change some apps in system/apps and replace them with the ones found in MiUI and CM7

and then SIgn it back and update (flash it via CWM)

will that work atleast ?
If I helped you, press thanks to that respective post

My Phone history :-
Samsung Galaxy R (Good) -> Sony xPeria Pro (Great) -> Looking for a new phone now
 
FranzJesus
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 119
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinShah View Post
AOSP is there in early stages

no cm7 as of yet...
so what m doing is chucking the Kitchen part for porting,

Can I :-
Edit the stock ROM and rename it,add root permissions and change some apps in system/apps and replace them with the ones found in MiUI and CM7

and then SIgn it back and update (flash it via CWM)

will that work atleast ?
I think you have better luck having stock as base build, but you can not replace all apps. As far as I know.

I think, but not sure, that it is the updater-script that handles rooting, renaming after kitchen has been done. And if you replace the updater-script with a custom one, you will lose those changes you made with kitchen.

Therefore, until kitchen has full support for our phone, I would advise you to learn how to write your own updater-script. As I sad before, start looking at an updater-script from another rom for example Infected or Titanium.

The Following User Says Thank You to FranzJesus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Easily Configure Xposed Module Projects in Eclipse

XDA Recognized Developer rovo89‘s innovative and versatile Xposed Framework allows … more

Android Control Center Becomes Quick Control Panel, Brings Host of New Features

You may recall that back in August of last year, we talked … more

Polish Your Custom Themes with Theme Debugger

Creating a custom Android theme from scratch can be quite the laborious task. In addition to … more

Clean Up Your Logcat Code with Lib Cleaner

Some of you may think that writing code is the hardest part of development. It’s not, as the … more