FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

MOTOACTV ROMs

18th March 2012, 05:15 PM |#61  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaman80

I need a brave soul or two. any takers?

I'm ready
NA
 
 
18th March 2012, 06:22 PM |#62  
bdaman80's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pittsfield, Il
Thanks Meter: 136
 
More
For some reason I can't post link from my phone.

Hit me up on gtalk bdaman80 at gmail

Sent from my DeathStar disabled device
18th March 2012, 07:03 PM |#63  
tansoftware's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Lightbulb Serial Number Found !!!
Wow have I ripped my watch apart :D

It seems Big M has done a good job hiding the device ID number necessary for future updates/upgrades.

A simple "adb get-serialno" will return the board's (OMAP) serial number. This is useless and probably used for debugging purposes only. Big M does not use this serial number as it has no control over OMAP SOCs productions.

But what Big M does not want you to know, is that they have hidden their own traceable serial number in a hidden partition... The PDS partition.

Yep that's right folks... our traceable serial numbers are hidden in the PDS partition.

To access that partition you will need to dump the PDS partition:

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p6 of=/sdcard/pds.img bs=1024

Then you will need to pull the dumped img to your pc:

adb pull /sdcard/pds.img

Once you have the pds.img file on your PC, use "Explor2fs" to open the IMG file. This will show you the full the directory structure within pds.img.

On your left, browse to the "device_id" folder, and you should see a "id_file" on your right.

Right click "id_file" and select the "export file" option to export the file to your PC.

Attached is a screenshot for reference.

Use the notepad to view the exported file and see your unique device ID no.

The "id_file" contains your valuable device ID used for verification during firmware upgrades and OTA updates. Interestingly, init.rc calls the PDS partition for serial no verification during the boot initialization process.

It is possible to corrupt your PDS partition rendering your watch un-upgradeable. Be careful when tampering around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Explore2fs.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	953281  
Last edited by tansoftware; 18th March 2012 at 07:12 PM.
18th March 2012, 07:17 PM |#64  
kevina90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag maryland
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansoftware

Wow have I ripped my watch apart :D

It seems Big M has done a good job hiding the device ID number necessary for future updates/upgrades.

A simple "adb get-serialno" will return the board's (OMAP) serial number. This is useless and probably used for debugging purposes only. Big M does not use this serial number as it has no control over OMAP SOCs productions.

But what Big M does not want you to know, is that they have hidden their own traceable serial number in a hidden partition... The PDS partition.

Yep that's right folks... our traceable serial numbers are hidden in the PDS partition.

To access that partition you will need to dump the PDS partition:

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p6 of=/sdcard/pds.img bs=1024

Then you will need to pull the dumped img to your pc:

adb pull /sdcard/pds.img

Once you have the pds.img file on your PC, use "Explor2fs" to open the IMG file. This will show you the full the directory structure within pds.img.

On your left, browse to the "device_id" folder, and you should see a "id_file" on your right.

Right click "id_file" and select the "export file" option to export the file to your PC.

Attached is a screenshot for reference.

Use the notepad to view the exported file and see your unique device ID no.

The "id_file" contains your valuable device ID used for verification during firmware upgrades and OTA updates. Interestingly, init.rc calls the PDS partition for serial no verification during the boot initialization process.

It is possible to corrupt your PDS partition rendering your watch un-upgradeable. Be careful when tampering around.

Wait, so when we rooted our motoactvs, we flashed over the PDS partition? In that case, we should backup the id_file from our stock watch and then we should be able to update from there on out right?
18th March 2012, 07:31 PM |#65  
tansoftware's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevina90

Wait, so when we rooted our motoactvs, we flashed over the PDS partition? In that case, we should backup the id_file from our stock watch and then we should be able to update from there on out right?

I cannot confirm that. I do not believe our update methods tamper with the PDS partition. Further testing needs to be carried out to confirm failure of upgrades.
18th March 2012, 07:57 PM |#66  
ClearD's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis
Thanks Meter: 1,356
 
Donate to Me
More
It doesn't tan. We only flash the boot.img, that's all. Then copy over the root binaries, superuser, recovery, and supporting files.

That partition is not touched.

My guess is it's a mismatched build.prop; as there is one in the boot image as well as one in /system. We need to match those before it will let us update, but I'm not sure how to pull the one from a boot.img, otherwise I'd just match it in the "return to stock" button of the root tool and everyone would be able to update. The ones there now are from 2 different devices, so the serials and such don't match. Little help?
18th March 2012, 08:26 PM |#67  
bdaman80's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pittsfield, Il
Thanks Meter: 136
 
More
Test kernel seems fine, but I need some testers on same as me, and different versions than both of mine. I'm on 4.55.78


Sent from my DeathStar disabled device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332098667698.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	953444  
Last edited by bdaman80; 18th March 2012 at 08:47 PM.
18th March 2012, 09:00 PM |#68  
tansoftware's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearD

It doesn't tan. We only flash the boot.img, that's all. Then copy over the root binaries, superuser, recovery, and supporting files.

That partition is not touched.

My guess is it's a mismatched build.prop; as there is one in the boot image as well as one in /system. We need to match those before it will let us update, but I'm not sure how to pull the one from a boot.img, otherwise I'd just match it in the "return to stock" button of the root tool and everyone would be able to update. The ones there now are from 2 different devices, so the serials and such don't match. Little help?

I do not believe so... I cannot find any reference to another Device ID number in Boot img. Just checked and can confirm that boot only requests it from the PDS partition. I do not believe that Big M injects your ID inside your update before pushing it to you. Honestly, that would sound suicidal for Big M's engineers :P

The Build prop is programmed to be overwritten at every boot regardless of what you put in your system folder. I have even been able to isolate the code and stop it from doing so on reboot :)
18th March 2012, 09:18 PM |#69  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaman80

Test kernel seems fine, but I need some testers on same as me, and different versions than both of mine. I'm on 4.55.78


Sent from my DeathStar disabled device

woot I see 1000 mhz in that setcpu screen
18th March 2012, 09:59 PM |#70  
bdaman80's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pittsfield, Il
Thanks Meter: 136
 
More
Yes you do


Sent from my DeathStar disabled device
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes