Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

You are stubborn. And your W7 desktop is full of sh...

OP hwangeruk

7th March 2012, 12:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

16 posts
Yeah, I'm talking to you

I'm really surprised at some of the scorn poured on Metro on WP8.

What I've noticed:
When I browse on the Metro IE, my screen is clutter free!
I have social feeds, direct to tiles that I can see.

What I notice when I go back to W7, and observe others.
Peoples desktops are full of junk/work in progress/files they haven't "dealt with". Almost like a notice board, waste paper bin. Stickie note collector.

I used to work this way. I also used to use email as my reminder/work scheduling system.

I've stopped being bogged down by email by originally using Evernote, then moved to OneNote, as I like the sync via Skydrive (WP7 of course) but also that each section is just a file on a drive.

My email is very low, it doesn't stress me. I have a better GTD style "worflow".
All my files are filed, either on Skydrive or SharePoint. Clutter no more.

My kids don't do email. At all.

I've also noticed at work that it is programmers who don't like change. Which to me seems odd, as they are the smart people? But there are different types of smart, and concepts, futures etc sometimes seem to illude them.

Ramble ramble. I think Windows 8 is on the right path.
Ironically I've found W8 to work better on my desktop than on the Dell Duo tablet I've tried it on. Perhaps this will change when the hardware is more targetted, but the hot corners were inconsistent and I clammered for mouse.

I want pictures, fast links, social feeds and real information on my desktop. Not the contents of my bin.
I'm very curious how this will play out. Another Vista, or Windows 7+ ?
Time will tell. But I really _love_ W8. I hate going "back" to W7 now.
Are naysayers sticks in the mud, or reflective of how the masses will take W8.
Intruiging times.
(For the guy saying he will go to Mac, thats funny as Launchpad is similar to the Metro start screen. Recent updates have changed scroll direction to match touch.)
Last edited by hwangeruk; 7th March 2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hwangeruk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2012, 12:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 49

123 posts
More
hear hear!
7th March 2012, 03:52 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

89 posts
Right On.

http://www.winsupersite.com/content1...n-sense-142476
7th March 2012, 03:57 AM   |  #4  
Flag Southern CA
Thanks Meter: 100

877 posts
More
very well said, even though i disagree with some of your points, your statement was very well thought out.

personally after using W8, i was dying to get back to W7, for some of the same reasons you enjoyed W8.

I'm a little OCD about my start screen being aesthetically pleasing, so i keep it very clean and nice, with only the recycle bin, libraries, and 3 programs against the left side. Link if you care. i will occasionally dump a file or folder on the desktop as it is the easiest way to access said file or folder at the time, until i can put it "away" or am done with it. Not dissimilar to getting what you're working on IRL out of your desk drawer, and leaving it out while you use it (IMHO) all my stick notes go on my android phone, on the screen right of home. :P i don't email much, when i do i use my phone as my notification. if i need to write one i'll jump on my tablet or gmail's web interface: i have no need for it to be integrated with my PC. i also fancy myself as a causal rookie photographer, so i take a lot of pictures and don't always toss out the not-the-best ones. i don't necessarily want those scrolling through my homescreen. I also don't really use social media, so that's not that applicable to me.
and having used Lion after using W8CP, i do like it, but i actually found launchpad pretty pointless.

i have nothing against the metro theme or design language, i simply think the execution of the UI for non-touch is badly done. things like the charms and hot corners make it un-intuitive and confusing to existing, non-geek users. multitaking is too difficult for your average joe "I click E to get to 'E'nternet, right?" to comprehend easily. all your points are valid, but i think you're over-estimating the average consumer.
7th March 2012, 12:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Bombay
Thanks Meter: 29

699 posts
More
I'm not stubborn as you think I am. Just to make you understand in your simple language. I just don't use my desktop PC to read emails or share every freaking thing I do on FB or twitter unlike you and few others. On internet browser I have to switch among multiple tabs fast Then switch to software like adobe dreamweaver, PS, FTP client, etc. I can keep all open and reduce the shell size so I can follow all work at once and lot faster, its easier on my high res big screen and on metro ui I can't resize any metro apps cause my desktop thinks that its a f..king tablet. What you can't see is MS is trying to sell their tablets and phones to their existing desktop users. Which is unfair to us.

And in metro UI it kills most time finding the opened tabs. Hell with it now It has many flaws but you wouldn't care cause software.. sorry "app" like Ms paint is the only thing you have learned to use so far and of course you can see all you social feeds on the "homescreen" itself.

Sorry, just being polite.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
Last edited by bornotty; 7th March 2012 at 12:33 PM.
7th March 2012, 02:09 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

47 posts
I thought I might add........

I think people misunderstand the difference between Apps and Applications/Programs, I'm not sure your suppose to see them the same way.

Applications/Programs traditionally are used on the desktop. They are fully featured software for the doings of complicated things. The desktop interface in Windows 8 is still the place to do such work, that's why it's still there. High Power Activities such as PhotoShop, Video Editing, Big Release Games etc

Apps, these are small quick programs for doing smaller less intense and demanding jobs. The job of an App is to perform simple low power task such as mp3 playing, picture viewing, Calendar Entries, Emails.

The differences maybe subtle at first glance but it only takes a moment to realise the significance. Only in recent years have Pc's become powerful enough to do multiple small tasks at the same time properly, there was no real power difference between watching a video and editing one. Now there is a clear gulf between the 2 power states & it makes complete sense for an operating system to reflect it.

Laptops have had different "power states" for sometime now, they conserve battery life for normal tasks but gives you an option to turn them up if and when its required. Cpu's always used to run at full blast all the time. Most cpu's Idle themselves when not required now, some even overclock themselves depending on demand. I could go on, the Tegra 3 uses a separate underclocked core when being used for low power consumption applications.

The Metro UI simply bundles all those small things that we do everyday into one easy place. None of these tasks demand huge attention so a live tile is all that's required to display what you need to know at a glance. Then you hop back to your desktop to continue with the real tasks at hand.

Theres my 27 cents worth.
7th March 2012, 02:34 PM   |  #7  
Flag Bombay

699 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkf1sh

I thought I might add........

I think people misunderstand the difference between Apps and Applications/Programs, I'm not sure your suppose to see them the same way.

Applications/Programs traditionally are used on the desktop. They are fully featured software for the doings of complicated things. The desktop interface in Windows 8 is still the place to do such work, that's why it's still there. High Power Activities such as PhotoShop, Video Editing, Big Release Games etc

Apps, these are small quick programs for doing smaller less intense and demanding jobs. The job of an App is to perform simple low power task such as mp3 playing, picture viewing, Calendar Entries, Emails.

The differences maybe subtle at first glance but it only takes a moment to realise the significance. Only in recent years have Pc's become powerful enough to do multiple small tasks at the same time properly, there was no real power difference between watching a video and editing one. Now there is a clear gulf between the 2 power states & it makes complete sense for an operating system to reflect it.

Laptops have had different "power states" for sometime now, they conserve battery life for normal tasks but gives you an option to turn them up if and when its required. Cpu's always used to run at full blast all the time. Most cpu's Idle themselves when not required now, some even overclock themselves depending on demand. I could go on, the Tegra 3 uses a separate underclocked core when being used for low power consumption applications.

The Metro UI simply bundles all those small things that we do everyday into one easy place. None of these tasks demand huge attention so a live tile is all that's required to display what you need to know at a glance. Then you hop back to your desktop to continue with the real tasks at hand.

Theres my 27 cents worth.

thank you so much for your reply. actually youre the first one who put in some logic to your words over here. Now my problem is for people who have a high end quad core processor, ram, gpu, etc for doing 10 things at once and not one at a time. small things like music player doesnt require to take up the full screen with 100's of "buy" button.
App is supposed to be small and on windows desktop they could just keep it as tiles or widgets on screen and keep the rest of desktop as it was or might changed the look to match the metro ui just keep the real desktop pc experience alive.
Right now I have to switch to the desktop version of IE to watch videos on youtube just because windows ph and tablets don't support flash hence no flash support for new IE on prime desktop. Of course after few days I can download other metro browsers when they release which might support flash but everything looks very messed up right now on W8.

It's clearly going to be like another Vista release which was still okay but this is utter crap cause I dont want to use my desktop as my tablet.
7th March 2012, 04:30 PM   |  #8  

47 posts
Widgets/gadgets appeared with vista but weren't commonly adopted, I think this was due to a lack of interested by programmers, the financial incentive came from the phone market a little later. My personal issue with the gadgets was clutter (the original posters comments prevail).

Flash support is another story. Adobe own Flash & the people putting together HTML5 as a standard want to use an Open Source base for streaming web video. In general this seems like a good idea apart from the wide use of flash already on sites like Iplayer, Youtube etc and they are radically effected by this & they will either choose to adopt or not. I think they probably will, a lot of Youtube videos are already compatible & if they start forcing all videos to be HTML5 compliant the transition shouldn't be too painful.

Remember Windows 8 is Beta, early adopters will always pay a price for progress.

Personaly I don't normaly use IE & therefore Im forced back to the Desktop for Internet Browsing anyway.
7th March 2012, 09:41 PM   |  #9  
Flag Bombay

699 posts
More
Just as widgets I see the same with metro, devs will have lack of interest and eventually win desktop PC will reach a saturation point just like wp7 though I hope not.
But see what MS is doing right here they want to increase the wp7 apps number to increase so they've introduced metro ui as prime desktop so devs those who works on PC software can later just scale it down for wp7 too. And Eventually that'll never happen cause most of the devs are just into productivity and not into designing metro apps which focuses more on looks, the devs are not ready to proceed that yet. How can I be so sure? Well WP7 is right in front of you.

8th March 2012, 03:33 AM   |  #10  

47 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornotty

Just as widgets I see the same with metro, devs will have lack of interest and eventually win desktop PC will reach a saturation point just like wp7 though I hope not.
But see what MS is doing right here they want to increase the wp7 apps number to increase so they've introduced metro ui as prime desktop so devs those who works on PC software can later just scale it down for wp7 too. And Eventually that'll never happen cause most of the devs are just into productivity and not into designing metro apps which focuses more on looks, the devs are not ready to proceed that yet. How can I be so sure? Well WP7 is right in front of you.

Some of the main app suppliers for phones have already confirmed they will be porting their apps to windows, Firefox has also confirmed they are working on a Firefox metro ui interface. There are now thousands of companies who specialize in Apps alone & make a healthy living from it. The Metro UI is written in Html5 which is to become the web standard therefore compatible on all devices(in theory) and based on a common computer language that a lot of Devs already know. Microsoft, although this is probably yet to be confirmed, were saying that the Windows 8 Store will give a higher percentage of the sales revenue back to the developers than Google or Apple too.

So if you already have Apps you sell it would be easy enough to convert it, the conversion would be to the future web standard code, that you already know how to use and the extra market place, which is going to be installed onto millions of computers, giving you a good market coverage, will pay you more money for your work than the markets you already use. The only problem that I see is that its an offer that's too good to be true for Devs. But Equally, knowing Microsofts marketing strategy history would suggest that "Cut Throating" your competitors for market share wouldn't be such a big leap for them.

Although I could keep debating this, time will tell. The truth is, Apps are probably here to stay in one form or another, they have already proven themselves on Mac, Android, Wii, Xbox live Arcade, PlayStation etc. Windows late adoption only shows that its inevitable. I think your quite right that Microsoft has made a point of putting it main stage in order to encourage adoption & I think it will work.

Windows 8 is not Vista. Vista didn't work very well & was far too demanding for the existing systems people owned. They also hid it away so it could be a surprise. That why Windows 7 had such a large Beta launch and why Windows 8 has just had an even larger one. Windows 7 ran much faster than Vista & Windows 8 is faster again.

Anyways I quit the debate here, ill just be answering peoples problems if I can help from now on. My last piece of advice "One should float like a leaf on the river of life, & kill old lady!"

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread