5,606,409 Members 33,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cricket Muve Music SD Card Full Format?

Tip us?

nerys71
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 386
Default Cricket Muve Music SD Card Full Format?

I have a cricket muve music ZTE Score

$30 best buy no contract. I am going to use as a digital dash in the car and for timelapse in "risky" situations where I won't care if I lose the $30 phone. not even going to activate.

anyway it came with a 4gb SD card YEAH ! but you only get 1gb 3gb is dedicated to their music service.

suggestions on reformatting this so I can use the full 4gb?

I already stuffed a 16gb in it for timelapse but would be nice to have an extra 4gb card for my wee little 720p spy cams I used on my rockets.

drock40
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Trying to do the same. Some info i found.

From KydDynoMyte on slickdeals

"You don't have to wait until you remove Muve, but Sandisk did something special to these cards. You can't see the hidden 3GB partition. The only reported method I haven't been able to try yet (all the others have failed) is:
one guy reported doing this to 3 or 4 Muve cards. He put the sdcard in his Epson wireless network printer card reader and transfered over 3GB to the card and it let him do it, then he was able to reclaim the missing space. Not sure if once you get over 1GB on it if you get the whole missing 3GB back or only the space you write to. Also I hope he didn't have the older bad batch Sandisk sent out that didn't have a blue background and required the AAA SD Card fix on market for Muve to work."

From Sandisk

SANDISK SECURE FLASH MEMORY TECHNOLOGY TO POWER NEW CRICKET UNLIMITED “MUVE MUSIC” WIRELESS SERVICE

"With the help of SanDisk, we have created an innovative new way to protect digital content without the use of DRM," said Jeff Toig, vice president and general manager, voice and data products, Cricket. "This solution enables a superior overall experience for Muve Music customers. They will have immediate and easy access to all the music they love while the music industry has the confidence it needs in a secure mobile music solution."

labsONE
Old
Thanks Meter 4
The card itself has a specialized firmware on it that locks off that space on the card as the press release shows -- it's a special form of DRM. Could possibly be CPRM/CPPM DRM.

I've tried poking at the card low-level a few ways but it looks like we'd need to somehow re-set the card's firmware with a "normal" card's firmware... possibly. Or potentially try and see if it's a form of CPRM.

Only thing is Google isn't helping me because the only things you'll find is updating other devices' firmware... not the physical card itself.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
There is a firmware update for Muve SD cards released by Sandisk on Google Play.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sk.shima.fixer

Would it be possible to use apktool to see what this app actually does? Of course you can always just get a new 4GB microsd card for like $5 so it may not be worth the hassle.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

nerys71
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 386
$5 is $5 I have 5 of them so thats $25 or 5 memory card's I won't have to buy for my little disposable micro spy cam's if I can get these buggers formatted.

209pcs
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Hidden files

Using TestDisk I was able to extract otherwise hidden files from the card, MuveMusic_v4.db3 and ComFile.dat. MuveMusic_v4.db3 seems to be encrypted, and ComFile.dat had a reference to 'mkdosfs' contained within. I don't know enough about anything to work with these files, but I figured it was a step closer.
The card is still showing up as 1GB.

http://www.2shared.com/file/PSG7l1Gs/muvesdfiles.html

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Any updates of more space yet???

Thanks in advanced!!!

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK