Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,459 Members 37,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DEFINITE solution for battery on the arc (or any android actually) yes its that easy!

Tip us?
 
mety333
Old
(Last edited by mety333; 7th March 2012 at 07:51 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Posts: 257
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default DEFINITE solution for battery on the arc (or any android actually) yes its that easy!

OK after i got my Arc S i already saw better battery than my old X10.

but after a while it started to get all "android" on me again in terms of ****ty battery.

after using better battery stats and digging all the web for solutions on the subject (yes i got pretty obsessed about battery ever since i had android), i've pretty much found out 3 simple stuff that pretty much takes up most of your battery on standby and even actual use of an android phone.

before i did that i woke up 8 hours later just to find out that at night on standby my battery ran from 100% to 86-90% when i woke up. (on my x10 i woke up with 76-80% lol)

keep in mind im a very heavy usage user on my android and i do literally EVERYTHING ON IT.


anyway 3 simple stuff to do:

1. log out of latitude, drains the battery like crazy.
2. disable auto sync for gmail, contacts and regular email (i use hotmail so i use the email app, dont have gmail)
3. be connected to your home or office wi-fi as much as possible.

keep in mind i do have whatsapp in the background and other regular apps that still ran as a service but they dont drain battery much apparently (i thought they were always the problem btw)


i unplugged my arc s from the charger with 100% fully charged battery at 4am and went to sleep..
..woke up 11 hours later at 3pm (yes weird day lol), had 18 missed calls, 6 sms messages and 5 voicemails which means the phone had the screen on for each call and the speaker played my ringtone every call and sms and even voicemail notification plus i had my alarm clock which i kept pressing the snooze on..

i was amazed to be with 96% after 11 hours!!!!! OMG

at the same day at 11pm i was left with 27% battery after all day had 1:20 hours voice calls, 2:50 hours screen display on.
i was also outside and im always on 3g and also used my gps on google maps for about 20 min.


finally happy about my frikin battery on my android device !!


edit:
my setup:
custom gingerbread rom with ice cream theme,
locked bootloader,
rooted,
supercharged V6
At&t usa




Sent from my amazingly gorgeous and sexy Pure White Xperia Arc S [=
 
Faiz Malkani
Old
#2  
Faiz Malkani's Avatar
Forum Moderator / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter 1,826
Posts: 7,559
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mumbai
Nice

I think this will help you. if it does please THANK me.


Sent from my Blade
 
AndyHibberd
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 28
Join Date: Oct 2010
"If you want to save battery on your smart phone, don't use it as a smart phone."


Of course background services will use energy, but I have them on for a reason.

The best battery saving tips (for those who use their phones)are brightness and keep an eye out of resource hogs and unwanted background services (Facebook app).

I found that rooting and removing all the bloat-ware vastly improved my battery life as it gave more RAM which meant my phone had to do less memory management.

Andy
 
sdk16420
Old
(Last edited by sdk16420; 7th March 2012 at 11:43 AM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,410
Posts: 2,937
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mety333 View Post

1. log out of latitude, drains the battery like crazy.
But that would mean that Google can't track my location anymore


On topic:
This app is a very convenient and simple way to view your battery usage.

Badass Battery Monitor
GSam Labs
Device > Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
ROM > LegacyXperia CM11 nightly
Kernel > Stock LX


Scan APK's for viruses http://apkscan.nviso.be/
 
TheHaso
Old
(Last edited by TheHaso; 7th March 2012 at 12:53 PM.) Reason: spell fix :D
#5  
TheHaso's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 438
Posts: 1,463
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hokksund
Quote:
Originally Posted by mety333 View Post
2. disable auto sync for gmail, contacts and regular email (i use hotmail so i use the email app, dont have gmail)
[=
If you have a android and have done the registration on the first time, you have a GMAIL acc.

Btw, add this solution. Works for every phone.

- Go to WiFi & network settings > Mobile Network > Networkmode > Set it to "ONLY GSM"

this will make the mobile-antenna to find one connection and stand there (Mostly this gives the best signal strenght), but the WCDMA and WCDMA/GSM will search for other connections all the time and consume more battery
the only negative side with GSM is that your calls will connect 1~2 sec. slower compared to WCDMA and if you fall out of the signal range, youre out untill the antenna finds new one (but the strenght is good so dont worry)
 
zangetsu2188
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 296
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Quezon City
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaso View Post
If you have a android and have done the registration on the first time, you have a GMAIL acc.

Btw, add this solution. Works for every phone.

- Go to WiFi & network settings > Mobile Network > Networkmode > Set it to "ONLY GSM"

this will make the mobile-antenna to find one connection and stand there (Mostly this gives the best signal strenght), but the WCDMA and WCDMA/GSM will search for other connections all the time and consume more battery
the only negative side with GSM is that your calls will connect 1~2 sec. slower compared to WCDMA and if you fall out of the signal range, youre out untill the antenna finds new one (but the strenght is good so dont worry)
Or you can set it to WCDMA only. Setting it to GSM only would be disadvantageous as most smartphone users need a data plan and 3G has far better internet speed.

Turning off the auto sync helped me a lot. I just manually check my email at regular intervals.

Sent from my LT15i using XDA
 
ArmorD
Old
#7  
ArmorD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 364
Posts: 3,626
Join Date: Sep 2011
Seiously, these are all the most obvious "battery tweaks". Tose are the first things that would come up in my mind...
My Big Boy:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE
⌐■_■SlimKat⌐■_■



G̶a̶l̶a̶x̶y̶ ̶S̶2̶ ̶I̶n̶t̶.̶
i̶9̶0̶0̶0̶
Z̶T̶E̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶d̶e̶
N̶e̶x̶u̶s̶ ̶7̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶2̶
T̶r̶o̶n̶s̶m̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶C̶X̶-̶9̶1̶9̶
O̶U̶Y̶A̶




I put the sex in dyslexia
 
fluxgfx
Old
#8  
fluxgfx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 666
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa

 
DONATE TO ME
I can safely say it's not a definite solution.

Most if not have already turned the Auto sync off.

Latitude for most users doesn't run to start with and even in some cases not even
installed.

Wifi and HSPA is a given this is pretty much ON all the time for most since were power users. (6gb data plan) can't complain for 20$.

Bluetooth in some cases but rare.

Full charge your phone and if your a power user within 14 to 16hours your usually left with about 10% battery usage.

Take into consideration that this is a rooted Xperia Arc S with bootloader locked.

If I leave it alone fully charge when I go to bed and wake up in the morning I usually have about 7% gone in roughly 8hours of standby that is taking into account your have the standard 1500mah battery.

I would highly suggest getting the 1700mah MUGEN battery it's worth the extra 50$. May not make much difference for some but it does for other.
Phone: HTC One - Xperia Z - Galaxy Note 8 - HTC M8 - Note 3 - S5
Carrier: Bell
Running all sorts of things on my phone!
Android Coliseum @ www.androidcoliseum.com
Google+ https://plus.google.com/+MartinGuay
 
TheHaso
Old
#9  
TheHaso's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 438
Posts: 1,463
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hokksund
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu2188 View Post
Or you can set it to WCDMA only. Setting it to GSM only would be disadvantageous as most smartphone users need a data plan and 3G has far better internet speed.

Turning off the auto sync helped me a lot. I just manually check my email at regular intervals.

Sent from my LT15i using XDA
Thats right, but if you dont use the mobilenetwork, the GSM is best
 
auni
Old
#10  
auni's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,885
Posts: 959
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dhaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by mety333 View Post
OK after i got my Arc S i already saw better battery than my old X10.

but after a while it started to get all "android" on me again in terms of ****ty battery.

after using better battery stats and digging all the web for solutions on the subject (yes i got pretty obsessed about battery ever since i had android), i've pretty much found out 3 simple stuff that pretty much takes up most of your battery on standby and even actual use of an android phone.

before i did that i woke up 8 hours later just to find out that at night on standby my battery ran from 100% to 86-90% when i woke up. (on my x10 i woke up with 76-80% lol)

keep in mind im a very heavy usage user on my android and i do literally EVERYTHING ON IT.


anyway 3 simple stuff to do:

1. log out of latitude, drains the battery like crazy.
2. disable auto sync for gmail, contacts and regular email (i use hotmail so i use the email app, dont have gmail)
3. be connected to your home or office wi-fi as much as possible.

keep in mind i do have whatsapp in the background and other regular apps that still ran as a service but they dont drain battery much apparently (i thought they were always the problem btw)


i unplugged my arc s from the charger with 100% fully charged battery at 4am and went to sleep..
..woke up 11 hours later at 3pm (yes weird day lol), had 18 missed calls, 6 sms messages and 5 voicemails which means the phone had the screen on for each call and the speaker played my ringtone every call and sms and even voicemail notification plus i had my alarm clock which i kept pressing the snooze on..

i was amazed to be with 96% after 11 hours!!!!! OMG

at the same day at 11pm i was left with 27% battery after all day had 1:20 hours voice calls, 2:50 hours screen display on.
i was also outside and im always on 3g and also used my gps on google maps for about 20 min.


finally happy about my frikin battery on my android device !!


edit:
my setup:
custom gingerbread rom with ice cream theme,
locked bootloader,
rooted,
supercharged V6
At&t usa




Sent from my amazingly gorgeous and sexy Pure White Xperia Arc S [=


Nothing new actually. In standby/idle mode I loose hardly 4-5% in 7 hours during night.

These are the most common battery tweaks.

In fact if the phone is alive (with 10% left) after 20 hours of heavy use, then i am happy.

With my Rooted device with 0.58 firmware, i get a 18-20 hours [brightness set to 40% always] of heavy using that includes, 2hrs of browsing on WiFi, 2 hrs of music, 40 mins HDGame, 2-3 hours voice call, 30-40 mins of video (occasional) and i check email in every hour and and reply, so that's good for me.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes