Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,584 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CM7 2.3.7 Or CM9 4.0.3?

Tip us?

oxristsis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] CM7 2.3.7 Or CM9 4.0.3?

Hey guys, i searched on google for this question but i wanted to listen the XDA members and developers opinion about this subject...

What is the huge difference (for our Defy) between CM7 and CM9?
i try both of the roms and i think CM7 with android 2.3.7 is a lot better than CM9 which is 4.0.3 and i cant find any good advandage for CM9, so now i still use CM7 because of its smoothness and stability..
What do u think?

thanks and sorry for my english =p

Ozwax
Old
(Last edited by Ozwax; 7th March 2012 at 01:30 PM.) Reason: Updated
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up 4.0.3

I upgraded from CM7 2.3.5 (Green Lens) to Eppy's CM9 ICS 4.0.3 5th March Nightly (as well as the latest Google apps package). Followed the instructions to a tee and have not had one FC or any issues to report.
Pros
The battery (deep sleep) is amazing.
Battery life is extended by about a day and I am using the phone and 3G more than previous.
Camera Fine
Video Camera (recorded 3 x tests of 5 -7 mins) and no problems

Cons

The only negative is on screen custom brightness the capacitive buttons are not illuminated. But I know where those bad boys are even when they are not illuminated.

I was massively sceptical and reluctant of upgrading to ICS after reading all of the issues people were having, however follow the Guide and all is sweet.

I recommend it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oxristsis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
thanks for your quick answer, but i mainly wanted to ask what is the main difference between the two roms. I cant see something very different and also in Quadrant test with CM7 i get score 2300 but with CM9 only 1750. I dont know why, i thaught that newer versions should get higher score...

ebol94
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I think Quadrant isn't capable of using all the processor while in ICS, I remember reading that video acceleration wasn't working 100% either

ffbdm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was using CM9 for a time.. but after it make some lags and using 100% of CPU, i decided return to CM7.1 .. For me CM9 has many bugs yet.

daniel_loft
Old
Thanks Meter 42
The HUGE difference is that CM7 is Gingerbread, while CM9 is Ice Cream Sandwich (more or less, as both are running on a Froyo kernel).

So CM9 brings most of the ICS's goodies: better battery life, better interface, optimisations, etc. and a few still unsolved bugs.

I'll try it too this weekend or the next (depending on the available time).

Cheers!
Nokia 5110 > Alcatel OT303 > Nokia 3310 > Nokia 1100 > Nokia 1112 > Nokia 5000 > Nokia 6555 > Nokia 3120C > Nokia E51 > Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 5

<-- Hit THANKS if this post helped you!