Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

Tip us?

Liner81
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Don't overlook the AudioOut_1 wakelock. Its my number one offender at the moment.

Minimize it by turning off screen selection sounds... System Settings / Sound / Touch sounds.

We need to figure out what the problem is with that.

On the good side, my mmc and deleted wake locks are negligible so far on beta.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liner81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liner81 View Post
Don't overlook the AudioOut_1 wakelock. Its my number one offender at the moment.

Minimize it by turning off screen selection sounds... System Settings / Sound / Touch sounds.

We need to figure out what the problem is with that.

On the good side, my mmc and deleted wake locks are negligible so far on beta.
Same for me. Think due to notification sounds mostly.

JBakey
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
Same for me. Think due to notification sounds mostly.
That's probably right. The only time I ever see that is playing music without headphones. I almost always have my phone on vibrate

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25931

DONATE TO ME
I get 39 minutes for vbus_present in the 6 hours since unplugged.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

amateurhack
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Just want to say THANK YOU for this thread, and THANK YOU for such am awesome rom.

If I might be so bold to suggest, put a section on your page for "If you get worse battery life on this rom than your last rom, it may not be because of a problem with this rom, it may just be that way and there may be nothing that can be done about it because that's just the way it is."

I have had no problems with battery life, fwiw.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

XXCoder
Old
Thanks Meter 21
"Without a doubt, the biggest battery saver for me, is to turn off data until I want to use it."

Agreed... Right now 25%, 8 days 8 hours, 3 h 37 m awake, screen on 1 h 43 m
The Following User Says Thank You to XXCoder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JBakey
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXCoder View Post
"Without a doubt, the biggest battery saver for me, is to turn off data until I want to use it."

8 days? Airplane mode? Or is your battery over 9000....mah?

schnowdapowda
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXCoder View Post

Pics or it didn't happen! And here's a battery tip. Don't install facebook or messenger. Ever.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

doin' that rag
The Following User Says Thank You to schnowdapowda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

poit
Old
Thanks Meter 491
Just spend a day with CM9 Beta 0. It's a great rom with lots of promise. Great feel and look, very fast, ICS is fantastic.

That said, the battery life is not there yet. I basically set it up the same way I set up the stock rom. Email on Exchange push notification, EVERYTHING ELSE on manual sync. On a stock rom I usually am at about 40% after 12 hours of moderate use. About 5% drop an hour. On this rom I was at 75% after 2 hours. About 12% an hour. This is with the "stock" 1800 mAh battery.

If the devs can match the battery life of stock GB I'll be back. It really is a great rom, I just can't recharge twice a day, and I'm not carrying around a 3500mAh battery in my pocket either.

Seriously, great work to all the devs who have taken it this far. Looking forward to the next couple releases.
Novatel Bagphone, Motorola Microtac, Qualcom Q-Phone, Motorola Startac, Sanyo MM-8100, Sanyo MM7400, Samsung A900 Blade, HTC Touch Pro 2, Sammy Epic 4G,

Currently Sammy Galaxy S III running Stock Rooted KitKat 4.4.2 because it's just that good. Knox don't scare me
Sprint SERO Premium 500

nimaim
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRocks View Post
Without a doubt, the biggest battery saver for me, is to turn off data until I want to use it.

I simply cannot believe the difference. Makes me think I'm gonna have to go out and get Juice Defender, and let it turn off data when I put the phone to sleep, it is just that dramatic.

I can call text, and play hours of games, and still have the battery have more juice remaining than it did over the same timeframe with just a call or two for usage with the data on.
I use JD for this and run it in extreme mode, which disables data until you physically enable it yourself (and after you enable it, it will disable again when the screen is off). Using it, I get a huge improvement in battery life, especially on CM9. It's kind of annoying having to enable it everytime you turn the screen back on, especially since it takes 4-5 seconds before data works again, but if it can give me the type of battery life it does, I am all for it. Other than the slightly noticeable lag I get compared to CM7 and other ROMs such as CleanGB (I know I can install supercharger, but I am talking pure stock CM9 here), I have no problems at all. Major props to all the developers involved for breathing new life into our OG Epics.