[Q] Need Some Clarification On Build Numbers

8th March 2012, 06:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Hi everyone.
First I would like to thank everyone here for the guidance I have found on the forums, very helpful.

Second, although I am new to the forums and Android, I do know a little about Linux, kernels and roms, and the like

I am running romracers Alien rom 6 and love it. I have also flashed his latest "AT&T Stock-ish 0.3" kernel successfully (according to CPU-Spy and the screenshots provided on the thread) and the "fixed UCLA3 radio" (which was flashed BEFORE the kernel). Where Im confused is that the Build Number in the About Phone section, still shows "Gingerbread.UCKK1.AL6".

I was under the impression that flashing the new kernel would update the Build Number to the UCLA3 designation. But apparently I'm mistaken.

So I guess my question is, (and I have tried to search) what is the Build Number based off of? The ROM? The kernel? or ?. Im not having any issues with my phone. The question is more for my (and anyone else's) knowledge. Or If I have done something wrong during the flash, how to correct it.

Thanks again for all the hard work from everyone.
8th March 2012, 07:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 623

1,063 posts
My understanding/ experience when flashing roms/kernels/modems:

Baseband version is the radio/modem on the phone. If for example, you flash the UCLA3 modem, your Baseband version should change to “I727UCLA3”

Kernel version is exactly that… my About phone shows “2.6.35.11”, and my CPU-Spy shows more detail to the kernel on the phone (for example, mine is Linux version “2.6.35.11-I727UCLA3-CL910433……” (with additional gcc version info and date/time of the actual kernel creation).

Build number: reflects the build of the ROM. In my case, since I flashed the UCLA3 rom silver03wrx created (from the UCLA3 ATT OTA system dump), mine shows “GINGERBREAD.UCLA3”. If you flash his or another developer’s custom roms, it would reference when they named the build.

Hope that’s correct and helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorQMM For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2012, 07:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorQMM

My understanding/ experience when flashing roms/kernels/modems:

Baseband version is the radio/modem on the phone. If for example, you flash the UCLA3 modem, your Baseband version should change to “I727UCLA3”

Kernel version is exactly that… my About phone shows “2.6.35.11”, and my CPU-Spy shows more detail to the kernel on the phone (for example, mine is Linux version “2.6.35.11-I727UCLA3-CL910433……” (with additional gcc version info and date/time of the actual kernel creation).

Build number: reflects the build of the ROM. In my case, since I flashed the UCLA3 rom silver03wrx created (from the UCLA3 ATT OTA system dump), mine shows “GINGERBREAD.UCLA3”. If you flash his or another developer’s custom roms, it would reference when they named the build.

Hope that’s correct and helps.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. My baseband is what I expected it to be (UCLA3), just was not sure the kernel flashed completly/correctly
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread