[Q] Samsung Repair Ethics Question

Search This thread

Jesso2k

Feb 28, 2012
My Galaxy Note (Bell) has a loose micro USB port. It can charge from the wall and is recognized by my pc however I need to prop it up on a slant in order for it to maintain pressure on the cable input, otherwise it will disconnect. It was caused by my dog knocking it off an end table while charging. It's a pain and Samsung has sent me a UPS slip to send it away.

The phone is rooted and this is my first experience with an Android. I've had a good time loading Da_G's kernel, figuring out adb, cwm, dagr8's Saurom and all the rest. However its time to send it back and I really don't know what Samsungs procedures are for a rooted phone. I've loaded the Bell kernel back to the phone but it's not the 100% solution I was looking for so I got frustrated and just went back to where I was already at with Saurom rc4 loaded up and titanium backup now doing it's thing.

Anyone with previous experiences send back a rooted phone for a hardware issue and know their policies?
Is there a step after flashing the bell kernel tar I'm missing?

Thanks

Last edited:

hackdroid

Sep 16, 2010
My Galaxy Note (Bell) has a loose micro USB port. It can charge from the wall and is recognized by my pc however I need to prop it up on a slant in order for it to maintain pressure on the cable input, otherwise it will disconnect. It was caused by my dog knocking it off an end table while charging. It's a pain and Samsung has sent me a UPS slip to send it away.

The phone is rooted and this is my first experience with an Android. I've had a good time loading Da_G's kernel, figuring out adb, cwm, dagr8's Saurom and all the rest. However its time to send it back and I really don't know what Samsungs procedures are for a rooted phone. I've loaded the Bell kernel back to the phone but it's not the 100% solution I was looking for so I got frustrated and just went back to where I was already at with Saurom rc4 loaded up and titanium backup now doing it's thing.

Anyone with previous experiences send back a rooted phone for a hardware issue and know their policies?

Thanks
I had to send my Captivate to Samsung for repair. it was rooted and they fixed it without any issues.

Reactions: Jesso2k

Jesso2k

Feb 28, 2012
That's the reassurance I needed. I'll get on with it and send it away tomorrow. I'll report back in a very long 2 weeks...

Sent from my SGH-I717R using XDA

Ryanscool

Aug 30, 2011
Denver

Thanks

Best luck.... if you were in America you could just take it to an att store. Just be on a stockish rom and turn it in and they would not notice lol, get another device that day. Idk how things go up in Canada though.

BigBrotherMotown

Mar 31, 2010
Dont Do It!!!!

I dont know WHY there are people here sending the OP off....EVERYONE KNOWS that if you root it voids your warranty...it doesnt say "It voids your warranty except for hardware issues"

Why set yourself up to be disappointed when you can just revert it back to stock and not worry at all.....people always trying to catch a fool slipping....question is who will be the fool in this scenario????

droidal

Jul 12, 2010
Saint Louis
I dont know WHY there are people here sending the OP off....EVERYONE KNOWS that if you root it voids your warranty...it doesnt say "It voids your warranty except for hardware issues"

Why set yourself up to be disappointed when you can just revert it back to stock and not worry at all.....people always trying to catch a fool slipping....question is who will be the fool in this scenario????

Well he should revert back to stock for sure but you can't roll back the counter. But as long as your stock they may not look at the counter and just fix the phone. It's been said before, there's no known case of Samsung voiding a warranty because of it.

alexige

Nov 26, 2010
So Cal
Dont know how they do it up there but down here on AT&T we have a 30 day return/exchange policy I exercised yesterday in fact, plus a year warranty giving us refurbished phones if anything happens. I know you guys got it a little before us but I would check into this. Go back to stock there's a thread on how to do this in our development section and take it into your local providers store see what happens maybe you'll get lucky and they'll replace it on the spot. Say it was a hardware defect though.

MSigler

Apr 29, 2006
Memphis
www.sigsays.com

Because in everyone's experience they'll generally fix hardware problems even if you're rooted. Of course they have to, but they tend to. We all said there were no guarantees.

Jesso2k

Feb 28, 2012

It seems like one does not simply revert back to stock. Admittedly I'm new to this but all I can find in the development forum is the Bell kernel. The full bell system doesn't seem to be up, just the At&T. After a factory reset and old kernal I still have super user loaded and all of the bell bloatware gone. I'm sure with some due diligence I could have made a back up right after my original root but I didn't. Frustrated with the mess I created I just set the phone back up with Saurom the way I liked it.

Dont know how they do it up there but down here on AT&T we have a 30 day return/exchange policy I exercised yesterday in fact, plus a year warranty giving us refurbished phones if anything happens. I know you guys got it a little before us but I would check into this. Go back to stock there's a thread on how to do this in our development section and take it into your local providers store see what happens maybe you'll get lucky and they'll replace it on the spot. Say it was a hardware defect though.

It's only 14 days here. I've had it since launch on Feb 14th. Bell is synonymous for passing the buck off, contact them online and they tell you to call in, call them and they tell you go into a store, go to a store and they'll tell you to go to the original store of purchase or another another store with a repair tech on duty. Going directly through Samsung has been smooth thus far, I just hope if they have an issue they'll contact me before blowing whistles and charging my bill some erroneous fees.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    I had to send my Captivate to Samsung for repair. it was rooted and they fixed it without any issues.
    Most manufacturers will fix hardware issues clearly not caused by rooting. Of course, no promises.