Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

a500 = a501?

Tip us?

meinmichi
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default a500 = a501?

Sorry if that a question that cleared... as a new owner of a501. Can i root and flash a500 Roms? Mms and GPS works for you?

Psichi
Old
Thanks Meter 397
Moscow Desire would probably be the best one to answer this for you, since he has a 501 but...

You can flash a 500 rom, but you will lose all functions related to the phone, since the 500 doesn't have a radio for that there is no need to have those functions in a 500 rom.
Trenton Makes, The World Takes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psichi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

haag498
Old
Thanks Meter 20
The A500 and A501 are in fact identical, save the fact that the A501 has an Ericsson baseband for 3g/4g internet access... Flashing an A500-only ROM will result in a missing driver for that baseband, thus it won't work. Otherwie, the ROMs work just fine, in fact I'm using civato's Flexreaper (which is an A500 ICS ROM) on my A501... and I'm looking for a way to add the missing baseband driver and settings items, too. Didn't get anything yet, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to haag498 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghost1157
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have a a501, have had it a week now and the day after I got it I installed Moscow Desire's Alexander III rom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1467689

Its a stripped version of the stock rom, everything works including the 3G just as good as the stock version but with root access and no bloatware.

Personally I love it, it works well, and has great battery life. Really I think his rom is the only rom out there specifically for an A501 at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost1157 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Moscow Desire
Old
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Thanks Meter 5945

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinmichi View Post
Sorry if that a question that cleared... as a new owner of a501. Can i root and flash a500 Roms? Mms and GPS works for you?
You can run 500 roms. I do it all the time for testing.

What you will not have;

internal 3g (this covers all functions that use it)
GPS

The 501 kernel is different than the 500's. Mainly because the 501 uses a "nuetered" radio for 3g and gps. The code for these are only available in the 501 kernel. And Acer has so far, never released kernel source for the 501. Probably due to the special ATT and Rogers versions they sold.

I've had success getting it to run on a "certain" 500 HC rom, but with no GPS.

Want to avoid a vacation to the Frostlands? Then Follow the XDA Rules Here

Though I walk among the trolls, I fear them not, for I am the Troll King
Killen dem Trolls since 2011
Acer Iconia A701***A501***ExPlay X-Tremer***HTC Desire***Desire S
The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meinmichi
Old
(Last edited by meinmichi; 9th March 2012 at 02:46 PM.) Reason: remove link...
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post
You can run 500 roms. I do it all the time for testing.

What you will not have;

internal 3g (this covers all functions that use it)
GPS

The 501 kernel is different than the 500's. Mainly because the 501 uses a "nuetered" radio for 3g and gps. The code for these are only available in the 501 kernel. And Acer has so far, never released kernel source for the 501. Probably due to the special ATT and Rogers versions they sold.

I've had success getting it to run on a "certain" 500 HC rom, but with no GPS.
is it possible an other customrom with your kernel to work?
or other, a full ics rom to run on a501?
is it hard to port another rom to support a501 full? or most buildprob.?

edit: the link was impossible...

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 576
meinmich, remove that link NOW... Before you get blasted for linking it... It's Thor's kernel which is not GPL compliant and ALL links to his work are not allowed here...
You should know this as you have been here a little while...
The Following User Says Thank You to ultramag69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Moscow Desire
Old
(Last edited by Moscow Desire; 9th March 2012 at 07:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5945

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinmichi View Post
is it possible an other customrom with your kernel to work?
or other, a full ics rom to run on a501?
is it hard to port another rom to support a501 full? or most buildprob.?

edit: the link was impossible...
1. The kernel I use, is RichardTripps 3.4. It is a Honeycomb kernel.
When you use Overclocked kernel, you have to be careful of voltage to the system board. Too little votage, and you have 3g lock. (tab freezes). Or, the tab will have SOD (sleep of death). It WILL NOT work with ICS.

2. No. The current GPL kernel for ICS, is for a500 only. It does not have the necessary code to make it work on the 501. This includes Thor's kernel. And his Device tree is different from the ICS "leaked" roms. His, is ASOP, so it WILL NOT work with the current ICS release.

3. You cannot port another device kernel. Not easy, as the 501 has the only3g internal. Other kernels, use different hardware drivers which Acer has not released.

Acer, is never going to release the source code for the 501. They are too busy sleeping in bed with ATT and Rogers network. Ain't gonna happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post

2. No. The current GPL kernel for ICS, is for a500 only. It does not have the necessary code to make it work on the 501. This includes Thor's kernel. And his Device tree is different from the ICS "leaked" roms. His, is ASOP, so it WILL NOT work with the current ICS release.
However, his ICS rom does have GPS enabled for the A501 after you rename a file.
Still no 3G though....

Moscow Desire
Old
Thanks Meter 5945

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69 View Post
However, his ICS rom does have GPS enabled for the A501 after you rename a file.
Still no 3G though....
Yeah, I saw that the other day. Probably guess he also tweaks the kernel as well. Not sure.