Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,741 Members 46,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(How-to) Increase MMS image file size limit from 300k to 2M or 5M

Tip us?

moonzbabysh
Old
(Last edited by moonzbabysh; 8th March 2012 at 09:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350
Default (How-to) Increase MMS image file size limit from 300k to 2M or 5M

I've seen a few people ask about how to increase the MMS file size limit so I figured I'd post up this easy way to do it.

Download GoSMS from the market if you don't already have it installed

(I've attached Screenshots for you to follow along)

Go to Settings, click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down and click "MMS settings"
Click on "Maximum MMS size"
Set to desired file size limit.

Then press back button
Check the box to "Preserve image resolution"
And BAM, your done. Easy Peasy.

Even though I have no 4g here in Phoenix AZ, I usually have it set to 2M. It usually takes a little longer to send on 3G but I can confirm that it does in fact send.

MoPhoACTV Initiative
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-06.jpg
Views:	2504
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	938019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-00.jpg
Views:	1874
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	938020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-37-50.jpg
Views:	1611
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	938021  
MoPho CM9 + ReloadedICS - MotoACTV Rooted/Rom'd - SGTab 10.1" (I/O LE) CM9
Don't forget to click if a Member's been helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to moonzbabysh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Yeah check with the person who receives it how big of a file he gets if ever gonna get that massage unlikely so. What you send is not what you get even when send to yourself try it.

Sent from my MB855

moonzbabysh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dito33 View Post
Yeah check with the person who receives it how big of a file he gets if ever gonna get that massage unlikely so. What you send is not what you get even when send to yourself try it.

Sent from my MB855
I have, and when I click on the image I sent myself or my girlfriends phone, it is not grainy and the pictures are nice and big, not almost thumbnail like.

MoPhoACTV Initiative
MoPho CM9 + ReloadedICS - MotoACTV Rooted/Rom'd - SGTab 10.1" (I/O LE) CM9
Don't forget to click if a Member's been helpful.

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
My point is if you click on details info size would not be the same as they were sent

Sent from my MB855

dsims7_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 71
This is good, but trust me. A few years back, people were walking around the office taking video and sending inter-office e-mail. One I liked and tried to send via MMS to family. No good. I then took like 10 second video to send, same thing, no good as it was too big.

Take 15 hour video and attach to e-mail! Then send to:

123-456-7891@att.net
123-456-7891@sprint.com
123-456-7891@tmobile.com

(whatever, you get my point!) but it does the same thing! The only thing bad with Sprint is, you do not have use of your phone while transmitting! My "15 hour video" comment was a joke (and you would be stupid to try it) I did like 2 minutes of HD and it tied up my phone for like 10 minutes or so? WiFi would likely be better?

Samsung Galaxy Note II, stock, code name: "Cujo!" BoxWave Holster for protection!(siggy by DeedScreen)

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Well that's a good point but when comes to sending an email attachment just use regular email and every smart phone is tight to email account anyway and accomplish is the same, the struggle is how to send mms and either the phone or provider on either site compresses the attachment.

Sent from my MB855

dsims7_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Oh, and one last thing to remember, people that are on data plans! (My mother and my AT&T peoples with iPhones!)

Samsung Galaxy Note II, stock, code name: "Cujo!" BoxWave Holster for protection!(siggy by DeedScreen)

Lambetts
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Hey Guys.

I've been looking at how to do this for ages but...GoSMS is all well and good but, I like the stock SMS app...Its a little more...lets say, less "permisiony"...

But how can one do this change with the stick SMS app?? Is there an XML file you can edit?

Thanks.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005Stock Optus (4.3)

Kernel - Stock (MJ7)
Radio - Stock (MJ7)
Recovery - Stock

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Click "THANKS" if I've helped

- Previous Devices -

Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC Incredible S
The Following User Says Thank You to Lambetts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shanesaccount
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did you ever get any resolution to this? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google edition and definitely want to stick to the stock messaging app, but outgoing photos attached via SMS from the camera are compressed to garbage. They're tiny and horrifically artifacted... it's killing me.

-Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambetts View Post
Hey Guys.

I've been looking at how to do this for ages but...GoSMS is all well and good but, I like the stock SMS app...Its a little more...lets say, less "permisiony"...

But how can one do this change with the stick SMS app?? Is there an XML file you can edit?

Thanks.