[GUIDE] Using the ICS OTA files

OP EddyOS

9th March 2012, 08:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,121

13,385 posts
More
Seeing as there are FAR too many stupid people on this forum I'm going to make this REALLY simple...

*** NOTE*** - This guide assumes you are already S-OFF. If you are not (e.g. 100% stock) then you WILL have to run Revolutionary to get S-OFF before continuing

Original Sensation:

Firstly - you HAVE to be running 1.50.401.1 to use this OTA file. If you're on ANY other build then don't ask about flashing it as I WILL report you to Mods for being a dumbass.

You also have to be 100% stock (e.g. NOT rooted). If you are running a custom ROM you HAVE to use the 1.50.401.1 RUU to get back to stock but you HAVE to leave the phone S-OFF. CID can be whatever you had if you are running x.xx.401.x when you got it new but if you've flashed the RUU coming from another build then set yours to HTC__001 before starting

1. Download the 3.32.401.5 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_IC...qo75dsziua.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
2. Copy the file to the root of your SD card
3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button. If the HBOOT menu doesn'y appear then you need to turn off fast boot in the Settings>Power menu
4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery. If CWM loads up, stop now and flash the 1.50.401.1 RUU
5. When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. It will say 'cant open cache/recovery/command' and then bring up the recovery menu
6. Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file
7. Wait the 10 minutes or so for it to flash
8. When prompted, reboot the phone
9. You're now running stock ICS 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6

Sensation XE:

Firstly - you HAVE to be running 1.73.401.4 to use this OTA file. If you're on ANY other build then don't ask about flashing it as I WILL report you to Mods for being a dumbass.

You also have to be 100% stock (e.g. NOT rooted). If you are running a custom ROM you HAVE to use the 1.73.401.4 RUU to get back to stock but you HAVE to leave the phone S-OFF. CID can be whatever you had if you are running x.xx.401.x when you got it new but if you've flashed the RUU coming from another build then set yours to HTC__001 before starting

1. Download the 3.32.401.105 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_LE...79ci68p68k.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button. If the HBOOT menu doesn'y appear then you need to turn off fast boot in the Settings>Power menu
4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery. If CWM loads up, stop now and flash the 1.73.401.4 RUU
5. When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. It will say 'cant open cache/recovery/command' and then bring up the recovery menu
6. Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file
7. Wait the 10 minutes or so for it to flash
8. When prompted, reboot the phone
9. You're now running stock ICS 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6 and Beats Audio

Now, this can't really be made ANY clearer. If you can't follow this then you should walk away now as I will not tolerate anyone asking something that is already stated above. If I have actually missed something then please PM me - do NOT post it here in this thread as it's a reference thread

*** EDIT: I've attached the stock recovery taken from the 1.50.401.1 RUU. It's the same as the XE one so will work for all users ***
Attached Files
File Type: zip PG58IMG.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.24 MB, 558 views)
Last edited by EddyOS; 4th April 2012 at 10:44 AM.
The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 09:03 AM   |  #2  
Flag Apeldoorn
Thanks Meter: 38

151 posts
More
haha lol, i see you used your "anger" to help other people and make this world better :P

Great job, this should clear up the ICS OTA thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Keupie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 09:06 AM   |  #3  
Flag Christchurch
Thanks Meter: 136

536 posts
More
And its as easy and as simple as that... , i will say tho that when i downgraded from ICS custom rom and was flashing 1.73.401.4 i did by downgrade by PG58IMG.zip on sdcard, when it came to the system.img to be flashed it looks like it has trouble , instead of the side column being blue , mine went red / black 3 or 4 times in a row... still flashed all good tho..
9th March 2012, 09:09 AM   |  #4  

13,385 posts
More
You can do it that way too but I'm guessing n00bs would have a nightmare and having to write up a guide on extracting the PG58IMG.zip from the RUU is a ballache

Might do it, though, but this thread isn't about flashing an RUU - it's for flashing the OTA over the top of it
9th March 2012, 09:18 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 63

108 posts
Very noob here so be gentle -ish.

Thanks for the guide very clear, one small question if the volume rocker of my sensation has fallen off can I still use this method?
9th March 2012, 09:27 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

21 posts
More
Many thanks for that very precise and clear guide, Eddy.
I guess now everyone should be able to perform that update.

May I raise a question in regard to restoring system settings and installed apps?
Obviously, when flashing the original RUU to get the phone into the right status for flashing the update all system settings and individualy installed apps will be gone.
How do I proceed to get a restorable backup?
Should I just make a full backup using e.g. Titanium Backup before I flash the original RUU and will it be possible to restore it later on the updated ICS device?
I am not sure if its that easy, since as far as I know Titanium needs a rooted device to work, right?
This would mean I need to root the ICS device before I will be able to restore?
Will the backup be compatible with ICS so that all system data and apps will be there again?
Would be great if you could provide me with some guidance on this question as well.

Many thanks in advance.
9th March 2012, 09:44 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

157 posts
More
On my Original Sensation in hboot say:
***Locked***
Pyramid PVT ship S-ON RL
HBOOT 1.18.0000
eMMC-boot
Aug 2 2011,22:35:52

Is it possible to do this, because I did:

1. Download the 3.32.401.5 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_IC...tztog0er50.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button.
4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery.
5.When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. This will bring up the recovery menu
When do step 5. say: E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command. OK I ignored and go to step 6.Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file but say Invalid operation, succes rebooting.....

Whats wrong ?
9th March 2012, 09:47 AM   |  #8  

13,385 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatorpg

On my Original Sensation in hboot say:
***Locked***
Pyramid PVT ship S-ON RL
HBOOT 1.18.0000
eMMC-boot
Aug 2 2011,22:35:52

Is it possible to do this, because I did:

1. Download the 3.32.401.5 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_IC...tztog0er50.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button.
4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery.
5.When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. This will bring up the recovery menu
When do step 5. say: E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command. OK I ignored and go to step 6.Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file but say Invalid operation, succes rebooting.....

Whats wrong ?

Dumbass Number 1!!! Please learn to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

...but you HAVE to leave the phone S-OFF...

The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 09:50 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

157 posts
More
My phone is total stock, wasnt s off....
9th March 2012, 09:52 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
thanks mate although it seems to give an error in recovery. it says "cant open cache/recovery/command" Tried it twice. Guess I better wait for the OTA update in the Netherlands. Thansk anyway mate.
Last edited by Iniesta89; 9th March 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread