5,595,196 Members 45,208 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Redirect to smartphonegirls.com

Tip us?

kullerhamPster
Old
(Last edited by kullerhamPster; 16th March 2012 at 05:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
In the other thread regarding this issue someone already claimed to have traced back the origin of the smartphonegirls ad.
Perhaps his results might be helpful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=46

bemymonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
This is getting out of hand. I'm getting the redirect too (have been off and on for weeks now), and it seems that it's a subscription trap that costs 3 PER DAY. Once you're signed up (and clicking that big button in the middle of the ad is enough!), it's difficult to get rid of the subscription, and they charge right off of your phone bill - if you don't use prepaid, you can be charged up to 90 within one billing period!

This needs to be taken care of right away, before people start getting billed!

The Following User Says Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 3733
You can't be charged for clicking something on a website. There must be something else responsible for that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

bemymonkey
Old
(Last edited by bemymonkey; 21st March 2012 at 06:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 105
On a smartphone, you can. That's exactly the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAP_billing

It's been in the news multiple times these past few weeks - an Android scam epidemic. The way it usually works is that a banner ad in an Android app links to a WAP site (indistinguishable from a regular web site for the average user), and there a single click is enough to start the subscription. It's a VERY shady business, and laws are currently being passed in order to fight these jackasses, but currently it's up to us as users and advertisers to work around the problem.

Even Admob has served these ads...

schaze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Installed adfree now - issue fixed for me at the time. Unfortunately that blocks all ads for apps and other web pages too, but I simply don't have another option atm...
Please get this fixed already! I understand it is not that simple but now it has been quite a while. Maybe your ad provider should rethink their QA process before adding new ads that cause **** like this...

Archer
Old
Thanks Meter 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
On a smartphone, you can. That's exactly the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAP_billing

It's been in the news multiple times these past few weeks - an Android scam epidemic. The way it usually works is that a banner ad in an Android app links to a WAP site (indistinguishable from a regular web site for the average user), and there a single click is enough to start the subscription. It's a VERY shady business, and laws are currently being passed in order to fight these jackasses, but currently it's up to us as users and advertisers to work around the problem.

Even Admob has served these ads...
I'm flabbergasted. How dumb an idea is that???
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

bemymonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
I'm rather shocked myself... Or rather have been for the past year or so (that's how long these scams have already been popping up!)...

Archer
Old
Thanks Meter 3733
Surely it can't be applied to any type of button or link, or the whole internet would be full of things that cost money to click. Does it come up with a system style prompt telling you you're about to pay for something?

Also, do you know if you can opt-out of this payment method with your provider?
My xda links

bemymonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Some providers provide an opt out from any third party billing whatsoever, which also includes premium rate numbers and premium SMS... Not all providers have this option though, and it's something that the user has to actively request and/or activate via the provider's Hotline.

usaff22
Old
Thanks Meter 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Some providers provide an opt out from any third party billing whatsoever, which also includes premium rate numbers and premium SMS... Not all providers have this option though, and it's something that the user has to actively request and/or activate via the provider's Hotline.

That's cool. I want to do that and not get scammed for these dumb premium SMSs. Not that I signed up to any or put my number on shady sites. This thread is making me use my phone less