Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT][OUTDATED] How to Root your G9, Enable SDE, and Optimize

Tip us?

Shano56
Old
(Last edited by Shano56; 15th June 2012 at 05:57 PM.) Reason: adding official 4.0.6, and rooted 4.0.6, and ICS@BLUE_V02.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 548
Default [TUT][OUTDATED] How to Root your G9, Enable SDE, and Optimize

NEW GUIDE SEE HERE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1653566

Hi everyone! The following guide I put together is a simple, easy to follow guide, for all G9 users. If you own an ARCHOS G8, this guide will not work for you. This guide will help you easily root your tablet. If you have found anything helpful, please click "thanks" on my post, and visit the original threads of our amazing developers and leave thanks there too! Before you go on, please BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT FILES YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE TO A SAFE LOCATION.

If you have rooted other android devices before..rooting your Archos G9 may be a little difference. Instead of rooting stock firmware, we first temp root, then enable SDE (special developer edition) menu. Once SDE menu is enabled, it adds an option in recovery to install developer firmware. This is when we install a modified firmware that has busybox and super user included. We do this because the exploit in the temp root causes some issues that doesn't make sense to keep in the long term. Hence the name "temp" root. This guide is very safe to follow. Chances are most problems you run into are very easy to recovery. Please view the FAQ at the bottom of this post if you have questions or run into problems. Because we don't have to flash recoveries or mess with the bootloader like some Android devices require, and because all methods are universal to G9s, this rooting process is very safe and easy to follow.

Please if you have any issues following this guide, reply with the stock firmware you have (be it honeycomb, ICS, firmware 4.0.6 etc) and the G9 model (flash or HDD 250gb). Board version and processor (OMAP 4430 and 4460 should not be a problem with anything, so probably don't include this when you ask your problem.)

STEP 1: Pre-root/Temp-root

1. Install the ADB drivers, using Quinny's thread here (WINDOWS ONLY)
2. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed and have access to adb
3. Open up a command window (Windows key + R, type cmd and hit enter)
4. Type, with your tablet plugged in:
Code:
Select Code
adb devices
Your device should appear. If not, repeat steps 1-4 until it does. You may need to restart your computer
5. Download root_hack and extract. Note: Don't open these links in a browser, not tapatalk or the xda app
Download them to your desktop (or wherever your ADB installation is if you cannot access ADB from your desktop)
6. Double click rootdevice.cmd to open, press any key after reading the prompt.
(Note: Device will reboot a couple times)
7. Restart your tablet (important do not skip this step)

THANKS TO PAUL FROM MoDaCo for this root
THANKS TO QUINNY and LETAMA for the original guide

STEP 2: Enable SDE

1. Make sure you have done the temp root method. Please turn off your tablet. Your tablet should now be off.
2. Download this zip and extract to your desktop
3. Turn on your tablet. Once your tablet is on, plug it into your computer via usb cable.
4. double click enable_sde.bat
5. Once that is finished, type the following: (press enter after each line)
Code:
Select Code
adb shell 
rm /data/local.prop
6. (If the above code doesn't work or doesn't do anything, it is okay, move on with the rest of the guide). SDE should now be enabled, make sure buy turning off your device, then once it's off:
7. Hold power + volume down until the archos logo appears and a recovery menu appears
8. Use Volume Up + Down and power to select Recovery Menu > Developer Edition menu
9. If you can get to Developer Edition menu, you have correctly enabled SDE.

STEP 3: (optional, but recommended from honeycomb). Format your device, and then install/re-install ICS. No worries: You will not lose SDE menu doing this.

It is recommended to do a full device format when upgrading to ICS. If your device is acting up or feels "laggy" after updating to ICS, this usually helps. Before you begin, please note: You will lose all apps, media files, pictures, etc. Please backup any important files. Consider Titanium Backup (root users only to backup any apps with personal data you want to keep (game scores, etc).

AGAIN: YOU WILL LOSE *ANYTHING* NOT BACKED UP!

Note: You WILL need a PC connected to the internet, and the USB cable that came with your device. Before you being, please download Archos 80/101 G9 OS v 4.0.6 (190668Kb, for 80/101 G9 devices only) to your PC, copy to your desktop or wherever you will remember, then do the following:

Step 1: Power off your device
Step 2: Boot into recovery by holding the volume rocker down and pressing the power button simultaneously
Step 3: Once in recovery, select "Format System", then "Reformat Device..." (use the volume up/down to change selection, power button to select)
Step 4: Once formatted, return to recovery using the same method above, this time select "Update Firmware"
Step 5: Plug your device into your computer using the USB cable that came with your device
Step 6: A new drive should appear in "My Computer", copy firmware_archos_it4.aos to this device
Step 7: Ensure the transfer is completed, then press the power button on your device, keep it plugged in while it is updating
Step 8: Your device should boot, and be updated to the latest firmware 4.0.6

STEP 4: Install rooted firmware. YES! This will work after installing the official ICS OTA update or official AOS.

Before you begin, you will need SDE enabled. Please follow steps 1 & 2 in my first post. If you have SDE enabled, you can continue. Any downloaded applications and personal media should remain untouched. You have some options for which ROM you want. Please download files to your PC hard drive.

For stock ROM w/ root (busybox and superuser), download and extract the following:

BE SURE to extract, Archos recovery does not recognize zip files

Step 1: Power your device on
Step 2: Once your device is on, and your home screen is visible, plug your device into your PC
Step 3: Open a command prompt on your PC and type
Code:
Select Code
adb devices
Step 4: Ensure your device shows up so you know it's connected properly and adb is active
Step 5: Type
Code:
Select Code
cd desktop
This is to change the directory to where you download the two files

Step 6: If you have flash NAND model (8gb or 16gb): Type
Code:
Select Code
adb push archos.ext4.update /data/media
If you have HDD model (250gb): Type
Code:
Select Code
adb push archos.ext4.update /mnt/storage
Give it some time to transfer, it is a large file and will take several minutes, you will be presented with transfer info once the transfer is complete
Step 7: Power off your device
Step 8: Boot into recovery by holding the volume rocker down and pressing the power button simultaneously
Step 9: You should now be in Recovery mode with the following options "No" "Reboot" "Update Firmware" "Repair System" "Format System" "Developer Edition Menu". Select "Developer Edition Menu"
Step 10: Select "Remove Android Kernel" (if the option is present, if not, skip)
Step 11: Select Flash Kernel and Initramfs
Step 12: Copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo to the drive that appears
Step 13: Reboot your device. Your device should now be rooted.

Frequently Asked Questions! (FAQ)
Will this guide work for my Archos 80 G9? For my 101 G9? I have Archos 101 G9 OMAP 4430. I have 250GB hdd model! I have turbo edition!

Yes this guide will work for ALL Archos G9 users. This includes 80 G9s and 101 G9s. This includes all 8gb G9s and 16gb G9s and 250GB G9s and 1.0 GHz G9s and 1.2 GHz G9s and 1.5 GHz G9s and OMAP 4430 G9s and OMAP 4460 G9s and board version V5 etc etc. ALL G9s!

Can I just drag the .zip file to the RAMDISK that appears when I flash zImage and initramfs?

No! Archos recovery cannot read ZIP files. You must first EXTRACT, then copy the contents of the extracted folder. NOT the folder itself. This means you will have two files on the RAMDISK, and no additional folders. If you don't know what a RAMDISK is, try Google or Wikipedia. If you get stuck in a boot loop because you forgot to extract archos.update.ext4 or drive.zip, you must follow the instructions below.

Help! I am stuck in a bootloop! Archos splash screen appears and keeps rebooting. I messed up when I was rooting, and now android will not boot! I accidentally formatted my device, and now I cannot boot into android.

This is a simple mistake and in 99% of cases it is easy to fix. Follow these steps:

Step 1: Download official Archos G9 firmware for ALL G9 tablets (aos file) HERE
Step 2: Boot into recovery turning your device off and then holding volume down + power at the same time
Step 3: Choose "Update Firmware"
Step 4: Connect USB cable to computer and tablet
Step 5: A removable device should appear (RAMDISK), copy the file you just download straight to that drive
Step 6: Press the power button once the file is done copying. DO NOT UNPLUG your device until it has finished updating and has booted back into android.

If you did not format your tablet or delete any personal media, your files should be uneffected.

Will I lose SDE menu if I update my tablet with official AOS or OTA update

As of the latest update (4.0.6) no official update from Archos has removed SDE menu. You should be fine, and your SDE menu should remain untouched.
LG Nexus 5
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Shano56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shano56
Old
(Last edited by Shano56; 1st May 2012 at 12:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 548
Useful tips

Overclock
How to overclock your device. For SDE only.

First please download and extract https://hotfile.com/dl/152251241/ef2...cs_oc.zip.html
Then follow the instructions in my second post to push to your device then copy zImage and initramfs.
After you have successfully booted download SetCPU or No-Frills CPU Control and overclock to your desire. Thanks to surdu for making this happen! Visit his original thread HERE to view all warnings.

Howto take a screenshot
ICS has a built-in screenshot feature. No need to download any app!

Step 1: On the screen you wish to capture, press and hold the power button and volume down button simultaneously for a few seconds until the screen flashes and you hear a shutter. Be sure to press them at the same time
Step 2: You can find the saved screenshots in storage > Pictures > Screenshots
Step 3: Alternately, you can simply find them in the folder labeled "Screenshots" in the gallery.

Touchscreen issues
If you have touch related issues/errors, try the following:

Step 1: Turn your device off
Step 2: Carefully wipe down the screen with a dry or lightly damp rag. If you use a lightly damp rag, be sure to dry it with a dry one quickly.
Step 3: Power on your device
Step 4: Go to Settings > Repair & formatting > Touch screen calibration > *Put your device down on a flat, hard surface like a table, tap Calibrate the Touch Screen ONCE, then DO NOT TOUCH.
Step 5: Once finished, you can return to your launcher or wherever you wish

Multiple Users
More than one person uses your Archos?

Either designate home screens using a contact widget, or use a note widget in launchers like GO Launcher. There are also apps that support multiple profiles for root users like SwitchMe Root Profile Manager, however I can not guarantee this will work.

Multi-boot!

Removeable System apps
System apps you can safely disable (new ICS feature) or delete via Titanium Backup or other root app: (only remove the ones you don't use)

Archos Connect
Archos Remote Control
Media Center
Media Server
Movie Studio
Online Registration
Photo Frame
Talk Back
User Manual

If you have any tips I should add, or if any part of this guide is inaccurate or outdated, please let me know!

BIG THANKS:
Android Development Team for giving us awesome Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich OS!
Archos for their hardware and awesome customer support!
serdu_petru for full root and all his hard work putting together these rooted firmwares so quickly!
letama for his original work on this device and work with kernels for overclock!
gen_scheisskopf for his work on allowing root access for HDD models!
Quinny899 for putting together his easy root guide for noobs like me!
Any other wonderful people involved in the development and advancement of this wonderful device!

GUIDE TBC
LG Nexus 5
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shano56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blogmaw
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Didn't you mean "reformat device"? because by reformatting Android, you don't lose data in /mnt/storage...
The Following User Says Thank You to blogmaw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

surdu_petru
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 7547

DONATE TO ME
Hi!

Thank you very much for your good and complete tutorial !

Have a nice week !
The Following User Says Thank You to surdu_petru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shano56
Old
(Last edited by Shano56; 11th March 2012 at 11:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogmaw View Post
Didn't you mean "reformat device"? because by reformatting Android, you don't lose data in /mnt/storage...
yes that's what I meant. Thanks, got those two mixed up simple mistake :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by surdu_petru View Post
Hi!

Thank you very much for your good and complete tutorial !

Have a nice week !
thanks man! have a great week too
LG Nexus 5

surdu_petru
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 7547

DONATE TO ME
Hi !

Thank you....but into BIG THANK !.....do not forget to mention the @gen_scheisskopf for your useful help ....without him work ...now HDD models wouldn't work !
The Following User Says Thank You to surdu_petru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shano56
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by surdu_petru View Post
Hi !

Thank you....but into BIG THANK !.....do not forget to mention the @gen_scheisskopf for your useful help ....without him work ...now HDD models wouldn't work !
I have added him thank you for reminding me!
LG Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Shano56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blogmaw
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Concerning multiple users, I would suggest you Switch Me, it allows users to have their own sessions on the tablet.

As for the uncompatible apps, it's mostly games that haven't been certified as compatible but they actually run flawlessly! (9mm, Asphalt 6 HD...). I tried to modify build.prop and init.Archos.80S (in my case) but it didn't work on ICS (see topic http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1528899)

Sent from my Archos 80G9 using XDA Premium HD app

Shano56
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogmaw View Post
Concerning multiple users, I would suggest you Switch Me, it allows users to have their own sessions on the tablet.

As for the uncompatible apps, it's mostly games that haven't been certified as compatible but they actually run flawlessly! (9mm, Asphalt 6 HD...). I tried to modify build.prop and init.Archos.80S (in my case) but it didn't work on ICS (see topic http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1528899)

Sent from my Archos 80G9 using XDA Premium HD app
Is this what you're talking about?
LG Nexus 5

sleepingman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
first,thanks for your work with the tutorial

i have a few questions:

it is possible to root with ICS already installed?

by enabling SDE and installing the rooted fimware is the only steps necessary?

if not, is possible to downgrade to honeycomb to gain root?

i have a little of experience with rooting android devices(huawei u8230,still alive and kicking an a nexus s of a friend) and i remember that in some cases with a diferent version of android i had to gain root again.

thanks in advance and sory for the questions