Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 46,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Disable the second core?

Tip us?

rccar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Disable the second core?

Possible to disable second core to save more battery life? I noticed whenever I pulldown the notification bar my second core goes straight to 100% use so I wonder if I disable it I could save battery.
SkyICS 7.4 rom
Faux 10u kernel
Underclocked 1.02ghz, UV -100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

silver03wrx
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2688

DONATE TO ME
You have to adjust the ratio of the fluxcapicator . To do that
The Following User Says Thank You to silver03wrx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver03wrx View Post
You have to adjust the ratio of the fluxcapicator . To do that
lol don't listen to this guy. I believe faux hss by default set 2nd core to offline, and it only turns on under load. which app are using to monitor cpu usage

silver03wrx
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2688

DONATE TO ME
Here read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1329585

Would actually cause qorse battery life.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Yes i know thata a diff device but same principal

rccar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Yeah, I notice when not touching the screen the second core is put offline, and I would use fauxclock to see that, but I gave up with that and use system tuner now, also shows second core offline but as soon as I bring the notification bar down just a bit, it comes out of it's offline state and that isn't even a 'serious load' occasion so I'd like to just keep it offline

rccar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Here read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1329585

Would actually cause qorse battery life.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Yes i know thata a diff device but same principal
I've seen that post before, but I have a lot of experience I. The technical field and I know as a fact the processor draws more power to use both cores instead of just one

silver03wrx
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2688

DONATE TO ME
Suposidly the second core only gets used when needed. If your phone was put under the same load with no second core to pick up some of the duty then you are drawing more electricity anyway. 1 core running at twice the load vs 2 cpres runing at half the load. No one knows unless u have a digital multimeter and can test yourself
nrm5110 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Suposidly the second core only gets used when needed. If your phone was put under the same load with no second core to pick up some of the duty then you are drawing more electricity anyway. 1 core running at twice the load vs 2 cpres runing at half the load. No one knows unless u have a digital multimeter and can test yourself
I haz multimeter also I help manage the military network for my state and have plenty of knowledge on the hardware end leave the second core be it will only use what it needs bro your gonna work the processor in ways it wasn't meant to be worked. But if you don't trust faux who's made some 16 kernels then have you used the disable second core option or was that something you tried

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

rccar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
I haz multimeter also I help manage the military network for my state and have plenty of knowledge on the hardware end leave the second core be it will only use what it needs bro your gonna work the processor in ways it wasn't meant to be worked. But if you don't trust faux who's made some 16 kernels then have you used the disable second core option or was that something you tried

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Well i'm looking to totally disable it, as the tasks my phone handles on a daily basis does not require a second core. The hardest tasks it'll complete all day is opening up the messaging apparently which is instant even at 328mhz.

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
I have to be honest. Why buy an android phone with an S3 dual core processor then? That's defeatist. If your simply using the phone for basic messaging, maybe some email and youtube, a windows phone would have been better suited. Mango 7.5 is very stable, and it runs on all single cores