Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Will there be SBFs to use through RSD Lite?

OP SaveTheRobotstDB

12th March 2012, 01:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Westchester, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
I used to have an Atrix and any time something went wrong, I knew I could flash a Stock image using RSD Lite.

I have not seen this for the Droid 4 yet and was wondering if anyone expects us to be able to use this program on our devices.

I know there's a lot of talk about safestrap with this phone, but not sure if that has anything to do with RSD Lite (sorry kind of a noob with safestrap).

Thanks!
12th March 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 880

1,340 posts
More
The newer OMAp dual core devices no longer use SBF mode for flashing because they have fastboot support now, so RSD Lite was adapted to use XML.zip files that are an archive of signed fastboot images rather than an SBF, which is a Single Binary File consisting of CG images. The legacy bootloader is still available in the boot menu but you won't find the firmware files in SBF format for these devices.

That said, we are waiting for the full XML.zip for the D4 to be leaked and currently have no way to restore the stock factory signed images for this device.

This means it is very dangerous to do any significant mods on this phone at this stage.
Hashcode and others have done great work to make it as safe as possible, but the risk cannot be overstated.

If you render the device unbootable for any reason, your options are very limited.
Last edited by cellzealot; 12th March 2012 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2012, 01:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Westchester, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
That was a really solid explanation and its greatly appreciated.

Although I'm not usually too timid with modding my phone, I think I'll wait a few weeks to see what happens.

Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread