Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] BuildProp Editor/Viewer - community project [1.33] - for android [1.6 - 4.0.3]

Tip us?
android_owl Old
(Last edited by android_owl; 27th March 2012 at 06:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up [APP] BuildProp Editor - community project [1.0 BETA]

Changelog

Version 1.0b
  • Initial release

Version 1.1b
  • UI redesign
  • Increased performance
  • Increased compatibility with other roms

Version 1.2
  • Added viewmode (for unrooted phones)
  • Added HC and ICS compatibility
  • Added an introduction
  • Increased usability
  • Fixed some typos</string>

Version 1.3
  1. Fixed su-problem on several roms
  2. Changed app icon
  3. Removed debug logs
android_owl Old
(Last edited by android_owl; 26th September 2012 at 03:56 PM.) Reason: Edited the title [Update]
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up [APP] BuildProp Editor/Viewer - community project [1.33] - for android [1.6 - 4.0.3]

XDA-community!

NEWS: The app is open source: https://github.com/daOwl/build.prop-editor

I want to share my latest application with you: BuildProp Editor

root and busybox required

What is this tool used for?
This tool allows you to modify your build.prop file easily on your device. It makes editing easy and you don't have to take care about remounting stuff or read/write permissions. It also features descriptions which contain information about the property. A great tool for both: beginners and advanced users. It can be used to test a variety of properties on your device or even tweak it, but be warned: You've to know what you're doing! If the phone doesn't boot after a reboot, the initial backup of your device can be found at: /data/data/de.bwulfert.buildpropedit/build.prop

Why do you call it a community project?
Because I need your help. I want to create a documentation which contains every property and every meaning used by the android ecosystem. This is also my first real android project so instead of yelling the hell out of me, post some constructive feedback .

Descriptors / the motivation for developing this app / little details
I've created this application because, obviously, I want to edit my build.prop file in a easy, non adb push / maybe remount, way. So I've decided to create this application which does these steps for you (remounting, backup your file, etc.) - you just have to download & install it, getting prompt to create a backup of your current build.prop file (it's just button clicking, nothing else) and you are good to go son! Hint: You actually have to create an initial backup otherwise the application closes it self. I'll add a neat "view" or "read" mode later but for the security of all our phones I think its the best deal for now.

After working on it for a while I noticed the big range of properties a build.prop file could contain - and which my knowledge doesn't. So I decided to create these descriptors which consists of:
  1. description - meaning of the property, what is it used for
  2. recommended values - alpha numerical values - e.g.: 0,1 or 180, 190, 200, 210 or dd-mm-yyyy, mm-dd-yyyy
  3. keyboard layouts - textual values - e.g.: NumBlock, CharacterInput or FileDialog (the FileDialog isn't implementet yet)
An example of an existing descriptor:
Code:
<PropertyDescription>
		<KeyName>ro.com.android.dataroaming</KeyName>
		<Description>Enables data-roaming by default in the build.</Description>
		<KeyboardLayout>CharacterInput</KeyboardLayout>
		<Values>
			<Default>true</Default>
			<Value>false</Value>
			<Value>true</Value>
		</Values>
	</PropertyDescription>
Of course I'm not able to describe all the properties by myself so I've spend some time searching on the net and came up with an amount of 24 descriptions. This isn't that much but a good start. Thats the point where I need help from anybody who's interested: If you want to contribute to this little project, you can contact me and sending me your descriptors (which are just plain-text xml files) - I'll merge them into the project. You can also help by translate this application into your language (english is still welcome, I am german) or donate a small amount.

Contact
For questions or chats, here are my contacts. You're also welcome to follow me on twitter.
E-Mail: dataframes@googlemail.com
E-Mail: benjamin.wulfert@cstx.de
Twitter: https://twitter.com/android_owl

TODO
This project isn't finished in detail. Everything should work exquisit and fine but this are the steps I'm still thinking about:
  1. Batchmode - adding little text snippets which consists of properties to your build.prop file. (Great for lazy people like me)
  2. A (web) application to make it easier to contribute descriptions
  3. Preferences - I got a lot of feedback for these, I'll add these in the next update

Screenshots

Download
You can download the application from Google play via link or qr-code

BuildProp Editor

Update
Here is my bundle of descriptions. If you want to add a description you can take a look into the file. You can also look at the scheme.
description_bundle.xml
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karthiknr
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Real good work. Works without a problem.

Sent from my Blade using XDA app

ZTE Blade,Sony Xperia S,Orange San Diego/Intel X900,Nexus 5

one_love_420
Old
Thanks Meter 554
Love the idea, there is other great apps that already do this. Here is the best one i found and i use, keep up the good work

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/?topic=18572.0

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uildpropeditor

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to one_love_420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ngh55
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Good job, maybe I can help you with the "looks"
android_owl Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_love_420 View Post
Love the idea, there is other great apps that already do this. Here is the best one i found and i use, keep up the good work
There are quite a few apps which are able to do that but not with descriptions.

one_love_420
Old
(Last edited by one_love_420; 13th March 2012 at 05:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by android_owl View Post
There are quite a few apps which are able to do that but not with descriptions.
True, joeykrim does have a section in his app with "common tweaks" as seen in attatched screen shot. I do love your idea with the description though, makes up for a lot of questions that could arise with such app.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
android_owl Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngh55 View Post
Good job, maybe I can help you with the "looks"
That would be a great thing! I'm allready implementing custom widgets (TextViews, ListItems for example), but I'd to ask for icons. Simple pictograms which match with a white (!) background

epinion
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default WolfBreak

Hi there, I was hoping could trying your app.

First time I run your app, it asked permission and of course i allowed it.
But your app show this message
"No root access is given!...."

that's strange cause my X10 using Wolfbreak with prerooted. And app like Titanium, ScreenshotER, etc works perfectly.

Maybe you can help me what should I do?
---------------------------------------------------

Phone:
T18i -> T68i -> K750i -> P1i -> X10i (2.3.3 Wolfbreak v7 + Some Ported Xperia S App )

Tablet:
Acer Iconia A500 (Thor v14.2 + Thor Kernel 3.94r4)

Try ADB Wireless
Unleash Your Social Phonebook
Compilation of Question and Aswer
The Following User Says Thank You to epinion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
android_owl Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by epinion View Post
Hi there, I was hoping could trying your app.

First time I run your app, it asked permission and of course i allowed it.
But your app show this message
"No root access is given!...."

that's strange cause my X10 using Wolfbreak with prerooted. And app like Titanium, ScreenshotER, etc works perfectly.

Maybe you can help me what should I do?
Thank you for your reply, I'm going to search for a solution.