Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to copy 4Gb+ files to One X?

Tip us?

myself11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
Default How to copy 4Gb+ files to One X?

With Media Link HD it will be possible to stream HD content to a HDTV. But how to copy a HD movie, for instance, to One X, if it doesn't support SD Card and internal SD partition doesn't support files bigger than 4Gb?

Any ideias?
Lumia 930 - Ipad Air - Kindle PW 2

casca
Old
Thanks Meter 71
maybe the internal 32gb partition comes with ntfs, is it possible?
"Each device will only be as good as the developer(s) and community supporting it"

Current devices:
LG G2

Previous devices:
THL 100S/Sony Xperia P/Samsung Galaxy Young/HTC One X/Huawei Ideos X5 U8800/Nexus S/Htc Desire/ZTE Blade/Htc Legend/Hero/Tytn;Qtek 9100/9090;Nokia E52/5800XM/N82/6680/6630/6600/3510/3330/3210;Panasonic GD50;Alcatel One Touch Easy

myself11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
According to Anandtech's review of TF Prime:

"Android File Transfer won't push over a file greater than 4GB so the first thing I tried was ripping a portion of A Quantum of Solace (BD) and sending over a 40Mbps High Profile 1080p MKV of it. (...) External NTFS volumes are supported and the sdcard file system supports files greater than 4GB in size, so I copied a 15GB 1080p Blu-ray rip of A Quantum of Solace from a USB stick to the Prime."
The Following User Says Thank You to myself11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ViDtje
Old
(Last edited by ViDtje; 12th March 2012 at 11:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post

"Android File Transfer won't push over a file greater than 4GB so the first thing I tried was ripping a portion of A Quantum of Solace (BD) and sending over a 40Mbps High Profile 1080p MKV of it. (...) External NTFS volumes are supported and the sdcard file system supports files greater than 4GB in size, so I copied a 15GB 1080p Blu-ray rip of A Quantum of Solace from a USB stick to the Prime."
But the One X doesn't have USB host, as far as I know.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

HTC-Gunge
Old
Thanks Meter 59
I think all ICS phones will have USB Host support but not 100% sure...
LG Nexus 5

myself11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
If only there was an acessory to plug a SD Card adaptor...

fi3ry_icy
Old
Thanks Meter 35
so basically we have a device capable of streaming 1080p HD quality video but it cannot support storage of such files due to the typical large size conflicting with internal storage system?

casca
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post

ok, so... am I being a dumbass here ? or am I reading it right:

"so I copied a 15GB 1080p Blu-ray rip of A Quantum of Solace from a USB stick to the Prime"
I do believe this means that he sent the 15GB file to his phone... therefore, it is possible.

About having usb host capability:
"All three handsets have a USB Host enabled micro USB port, which means users will be able to connect them to USB accessories and to an HDTV or monitor with the right adapter"
source: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/02...ense-4-0-video
"Each device will only be as good as the developer(s) and community supporting it"

Current devices:
LG G2

Previous devices:
THL 100S/Sony Xperia P/Samsung Galaxy Young/HTC One X/Huawei Ideos X5 U8800/Nexus S/Htc Desire/ZTE Blade/Htc Legend/Hero/Tytn;Qtek 9100/9090;Nokia E52/5800XM/N82/6680/6630/6600/3510/3330/3210;Panasonic GD50;Alcatel One Touch Easy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HTC-Gunge
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Thanks for the confirmation casca!

So basicly as I understand it he is saying...

When Phone is connected to a PC you cant transfer files larger than 4gb to it.
However when a USB Storage Deivce is connected directly to the phone via USB Host you can transfer files bigger than 4gb to the phone?

Seems a little wiered... I understud the limitation for transfering 4gb+ files to an SD card was due to it being formated with FAT32 but the internal storage in the phone wont be FAT32 will it?
LG Nexus 5

fuzzifikation
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC-Gunge View Post
When Phone is connected to a PC you cant transfer files larger than 4gb to it.
However when a USB Storage Deivce is connected directly to the phone via USB Host you can transfer files bigger than 4gb to the phone?
That's not how I understand it. It could also mean that the phone itself cannot hold 4GB+ files but it can read or write them from an external usb device. So you can stream your movies directly from the usb drive over the phone.

But I might be wrong..