Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 40,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Power Bank Kills Battery

Tip us?

14adrian
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Power Bank Kills Battery

Hi,

Power Bank caused poor battery life, Wipe Battery Stats.

I thought I share my negative experience about using a power bank / portable phone recharger. I had bought a very cheap 5000mAh power bank from China on eBay. Sorry I no longer have eBay link but what I bought which was advertised as HTC One X compatible and it included a 1A power out USB port.

I charged the power bank and then charged my phone from 50 odd % to 100%. Then again from 37% and it only got as far as mid 50s% and the power bank ran out of juice. Afterwards charging my phone normally would take roughly 2 - 3 hours to charge and although it was showing 100% I would get no more than 5 - 6 hours of battery life. I put up with this for some time and eventually bought and installed a replacement battery which was authentic. I charged my phone and the same thing happened. No more than 6 hours of life. So I thought something had been ruined in my phone.

Anyway I have ViperX on my phone and last night noticed there had been a new version 3.6.1. I was in the ClockworkMod advanced settings to wipe the Dalvik Cache that I saw an option to Wipe the Battery Stats and the battery works perfectly.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any knowledge of what may have occurred with my battery/phone by using the power bank.

Thanks
Adrian.

myself11
Old
Thanks Meter 272
I have the official HTC Powerbank and haven't noticed strange behavior yet.
Nexus 5 - Ipad Air - Kindle PW 2

Robotukas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What is cheap it doesn't mean that always good quality. First read review from people and read about company.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2131

DONATE TO ME
PowerBank doesn't efficiently charge your battery, so it can't expect the same output that you get when you charge from a wall charger or a PC... and once you stop using the powerbank, it may take 2-3 battery cycles for the battery to settle down again!

I'm using Ambrane PowerBank (8000mAh) and I must say I'm pretty happy with it!

Vcek
Old
Thanks Meter 246

DONATE TO ME
power banks mess up the percentage reading, I dont really think battery pack can degrade the battery in few charges. The last few percentages could last upto 1 day (it happened on my old android, the phone showed 33% for full day.) this is mainly because cheap power bank, runs at low voltage, and battery percent is measured by voltage.
<---------------------- Click Thanks if I ever helped you

erwinyap69@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Well..... With me Rule of Thumb when installing a new Rom or Battery would be to dona full drain then full charge then Wipe Batt Stats.... Every new Rom has a different battery affect on the unit that's why I wipe after an install.... Also don't forget if you install apps.... That could also drain your batteries more than others... I personally don't think it's the power source.. Meaning the power bank..... Weather it's charging at 300mAh or 500mAh or at 1A....100% on your battery is 100% no matter where you're getting the charge from... Kinda like filling up a cup.... Weather you're using a teaspoon or tablespoon or a tap to fill the cup.... When it's full it's full.... Really the only difference in chargers is the more output going to your battery the faster your phone will charge....

That's what leads me to say it's the software being flashed to the phone.... Not all are "battery friendly".... So after flashing.... Do a full charge then wipe the battery stats.....

lawrence750
Old
(Last edited by lawrence750; 29th June 2013 at 05:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 135
Just FYI but i recall reading somewhere (its on here somewhere) from an Android engineer, that the battery stats are automatically wiped on reboot and also when the phone is fully charged, so any effects from manually wiping the stats is more of a placebo.
Unless they've changed it all recently.. It was probably about a year ago that I read about it

Edit: here's the link : https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to lawrence750 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erwinyap69@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence750 View Post
Just FYI but i recall reading somewhere (its on here somewhere) from an Android engineer, that the battery stats are automatically wiped on reboot and also when the phone is fully charged, so any effects from manually wiping the stats is more of a placebo.
Unless they've changed it all recently.. It was probably about a year ago that I read about it

Edit: here's the link : https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
Ok.... Well I'm no engineer.... But I mainly did it going from the stock 1800mAh to the 5000mAh on my Note GT-N7000

ronaldtzh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just asking so is it advisable to use powerbanks? Will it damage the already battered battery that HOX has?

erwinyap69@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
From my experience I would say go ahead.... I use the cheap 20,000mAh power banks from eBay at a cost of $20 and have had no issues... The bank has 2 USB charging ports with outputs of 1 & 2 amps.... I used the 1 amp for my HTC One X & now the 2amp port for my Note 3.... NO issues.... I use the charger bout an hour a day all week and charge the bank once a week....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda premium