Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

27th May 2012, 12:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

148 posts
More
Hi

When using GPS on my HOX while charging at car, the phone usually drain more battery then the charge speed, meaning i see msg of less then 30% if i want to exit.
then i searched online and i found that if the Phone find the car charger it usually change charging to 500ma and not the 1000ma usually.

1. How can i check the charging Amp ? i wont to test few of my car chargers.
2. Can anyone recommend of good AC like car charger ?
i found some Kinsington and Griffin 2.1A ones, but i'm quite sure its for iPad and still be recognized as DC (0.5A)
27th May 2012, 12:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 89

137 posts
its not AC or DC that effects the current output of the device

you simply need to find a car charger with a 5 watt (5 volt @ 1 amp) output

like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23...119269&sr=8-12

note the iphone compatibility is simply because they include an ipod cable, use the HOX cable and you'll be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to phil112345 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2012, 01:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

148 posts
More
I have to original one, and its 5v/1A

but i still read that DC identified charger gives 500ma instead of 1A in the AC one.
27th May 2012, 05:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 176

754 posts
More
this is what i use, fast charging 1amp 5v
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-MINI-C...ht_1961wt_1139
28th May 2012, 01:56 AM   |  #5  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5

45 posts
Many chargers designed for iOS devices will only charge non-Apple devices at 500mA even if the charger is rated at 1A. The Battery Status will read "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)". You can often fix this by shorting the middle two USB leads in the charger (in Type A connectors, these are the data lines). Or you can get a charge-only cable which essentially does the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-Micro-.../dp/B003VYBCAY
The Following User Says Thank You to rasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2012, 10:19 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 635

1,284 posts
Donate to Me
More
The problem you are having is that most OEM car charger manufacturers donít appreciate how our smartphones work, and they neglect to short the two data pins out in your charger.

When you plug your official HTC wall charger in, the phone detects that the two unnecessary data pins are shorted out (as obviously HTC know to do this) and the phone will not limit itís own charge to 500mA.

Use an unofficial charger, and the phone see no short on the data pins and so assumes itís plugged into a PC/laptop USB port, and will restrict itís own charging to 500mA to prevent damage to a motherboard.

Your car charger may very well be capable of dishing out 1A, but they manufacturers just didnít appreciate what they need to do to tell your phone to start taking it.

I have had this trouble before, and there are a couple of options.

1) Only use official HTC car charger.
2) Take a spare charging cable, and carefully peel back the insulation. Then carefully cut back the screen. Youíll find 4 wires. Red, black, green & white. It is the green and white that are data. Cut these. The end of the cable that plugs into the phone, twist the white and green cables together. Insulate with electrical tape. Tape the cable back up. NEVER USE THIS CABLE WITH A PC/LAPTOP. But you should now find you charge at AC.

Been using a modified cable in my car charger for years, including with this HOX with no problems.
Last edited by wnp_79; 28th May 2012 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnp_79 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2012, 11:09 AM   |  #7  
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 412

1,151 posts
More
Check the "battery use" under settings>power.

While charging, it will say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it is charging (AC), then your cable is ok, just make sure your charger's output rating is 5V x 1A.

Also, note that if your in a hot country, and your phone is under the windsheild, under sunlight, the phone would heat up & not charge (light will flash red).
The Following User Says Thank You to omar302 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2012, 10:33 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

148 posts
More
wnp_79, can i just disassemble the car charger and make the bridge there ?
29th May 2012, 07:49 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 635

1,284 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chura

wnp_79, can i just disassemble the car charger and make the bridge there ?

Yes. The data pins are the two center ones I think. Should be obvious add they wont be connected to anything else in the charger. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
Last edited by wnp_79; 29th May 2012 at 07:53 AM.
30th May 2012, 07:16 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 13

90 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp_79

Yes. The data pins are the two center ones I think. Should be obvious add they wont be connected to anything else in the charger. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I did this with my Griffin charger, was pretty easy to disassemble and solder the two middle pins together, now shows as charging AC.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread