FORUMS

OnePlus Addresses Reservation List Cheating

Jake Cooper figured out how to bump his place up on OnePlus’ reservation list and … more

OnePlus 2 Benchmark Scores Show Its Muscle

This video by FoneArena contains all the popular benchmarks being tested on the OnePlus 2, … more

Sony’s Emergence in The Middle: Is The Price Right?

Sony’s Electronics Division is not in its best days, and its smartphone … more

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Power Bank Kills Battery

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By 14adrian, Junior Member on 13th May 2013, 07:53 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

Power Bank caused poor battery life, Wipe Battery Stats.

I thought I share my negative experience about using a power bank / portable phone recharger. I had bought a very cheap 5000mAh power bank from China on eBay. Sorry I no longer have eBay link but what I bought which was advertised as HTC One X compatible and it included a 1A power out USB port.

I charged the power bank and then charged my phone from 50 odd % to 100%. Then again from 37% and it only got as far as mid 50s% and the power bank ran out of juice. Afterwards charging my phone normally would take roughly 2 - 3 hours to charge and although it was showing 100% I would get no more than 5 - 6 hours of battery life. I put up with this for some time and eventually bought and installed a replacement battery which was authentic. I charged my phone and the same thing happened. No more than 6 hours of life. So I thought something had been ruined in my phone.

Anyway I have ViperX on my phone and last night noticed there had been a new version 3.6.1. I was in the ClockworkMod advanced settings to wipe the Dalvik Cache that I saw an option to Wipe the Battery Stats and the battery works perfectly.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any knowledge of what may have occurred with my battery/phone by using the power bank.

Thanks
Adrian.

13th May 2013, 12:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 450

More
I have the official HTC Powerbank and haven't noticed strange behavior yet.
2nd June 2013, 02:38 PM |#3  
Flag London

More
What is cheap it doesn't mean that always good quality. First read review from people and read about company.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
4th June 2013, 01:04 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,462

More
PowerBank doesn't efficiently charge your battery, so it can't expect the same output that you get when you charge from a wall charger or a PC... and once you stop using the powerbank, it may take 2-3 battery cycles for the battery to settle down again!

I'm using Ambrane PowerBank (8000mAh) and I must say I'm pretty happy with it!
5th June 2013, 09:49 AM |#5  
Flag Alexandria
Thanks Meter: 279

Donate to Me
More
power banks mess up the percentage reading, I dont really think battery pack can degrade the battery in few charges. The last few percentages could last upto 1 day (it happened on my old android, the phone showed 33% for full day.) this is mainly because cheap power bank, runs at low voltage, and battery percent is measured by voltage.
27th June 2013, 05:41 PM |#6  
Flag Windsor
Thanks Meter: 110

Donate to Me
More
Well..... With me Rule of Thumb when installing a new Rom or Battery would be to dona full drain then full charge then Wipe Batt Stats.... Every new Rom has a different battery affect on the unit that's why I wipe after an install.... Also don't forget if you install apps.... That could also drain your batteries more than others... I personally don't think it's the power source.. Meaning the power bank..... Weather it's charging at 300mAh or 500mAh or at 1A....100% on your battery is 100% no matter where you're getting the charge from... Kinda like filling up a cup.... Weather you're using a teaspoon or tablespoon or a tap to fill the cup.... When it's full it's full.... Really the only difference in chargers is the more output going to your battery the faster your phone will charge....

That's what leads me to say it's the software being flashed to the phone.... Not all are "battery friendly".... So after flashing.... Do a full charge then wipe the battery stats.....

29th June 2013, 05:33 PM |#7  
Flag Berkshire
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Just FYI but i recall reading somewhere (its on here somewhere) from an Android engineer, that the battery stats are automatically wiped on reboot and also when the phone is fully charged, so any effects from manually wiping the stats is more of a placebo.
Unless they've changed it all recently.. It was probably about a year ago that I read about it

Edit: here's the link : https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
Last edited by lawrence750; 29th June 2013 at 05:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawrence750 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2013, 01:14 PM |#8  
Flag Windsor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence750

Just FYI but i recall reading somewhere (its on here somewhere) from an Android engineer, that the battery stats are automatically wiped on reboot and also when the phone is fully charged, so any effects from manually wiping the stats is more of a placebo.
Unless they've changed it all recently.. It was probably about a year ago that I read about it

Edit: here's the link : https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Ok.... Well I'm no engineer.... But I mainly did it going from the stock 1800mAh to the 5000mAh on my Note GT-N7000

9th September 2013, 09:54 AM |#9  

More
Just asking so is it advisable to use powerbanks? Will it damage the already battered battery that HOX has?
23rd October 2013, 04:06 PM |#10  
Flag Windsor

Donate to Me
More
From my experience I would say go ahead.... I use the cheap 20,000mAh power banks from eBay at a cost of $20 and have had no issues... The bank has 2 USB charging ports with outputs of 1 & 2 amps.... I used the 1 amp for my HTC One X & now the 2amp port for my Note 3.... NO issues.... I use the charger bout an hour a day all week and charge the bank once a week....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda premium
27th January 2014, 10:56 AM |#11  
Flag Mt. Lebanon
Thanks Meter: 122

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinyap69@gmail.com

From my experience I would say go ahead.... I use the cheap 20,000mAh power banks from eBay at a cost of $20 and have had no issues... The bank has 2 USB charging ports with outputs of 1 & 2 amps.... I used the 1 amp for my HTC One X & now the 2amp port for my Note 3.... NO issues.... I use the charger bout an hour a day all week and charge the bank once a week....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda premium

what if am using a wall charger output 2A ?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread